Octos from Macross Zero Episode 3

Aurel Tristen

Great job as always WJ!

Very interesting design. Judging from the pics, as well as the large main gun, it looks like there could be a total of 4 secondary guns not 2 as you have listed in your description.

Looking at the 5th pic from the top, 2 smaller guns can clearly be seen below and to the front of the missile pod and main gun. However, what could also be 2 additional guns can be seen to the front of the mecha just above the sea surface.

Two things I really want now, a TIAS Macross Zero book, so we can have some nice line-art of all these lovely new mecha designs and some toys so I can recreate some Octo vs Cheyenne battles :lol:

Graham

Thank you.

Yes, you are right about the guns.

I really hope there is a Macross Zero book soon.

WJ, hope we can see a page from you soon (today?) of screen grabs of the VF-0S armored battroid.

Graham

That would be here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...t=ST&f=2&t=3609

; )

Not sure I like the "submarine mode" all that much. Upon first viewing, I thought it was some sort of Alien/Aphos craft (I was skipping to the action portions).

The water surface and standing modes don't look too bad, but I'd really like to see some good lineart on those things.

I do like the idea of enemy destroids, however. I hope at least model kits are made of both destroids and their variants.

Definitively neat.

the water surface mode looks really similar to the Neo Glaug and the four-legged mode is just too cool.

I suppose the AC commentaries will always pop out , but people have to realise M0 is a 2002 production and its designs are being made by the same guy who made AC designs a couple of years before M0 , how could he possibly change his style from when he made AC in such a short time if he hasn´t changed that much in 20 years ?

I´m amazed at the marvelous designs he´s made for M0 and I sincerely hope Yamato gets the license for M0 toys cause I´m eager to have some of these mechas :D

And these Octos have some sort of Personnel compartment in them, as its apparent they can transfer infantry in limited numbers. Intriguing..Where the hell is that Troop Compartment on them??? There doesnt seem to be room! Maybe a tiny room in each leg that opens up to let a few fully loaded combat troops out? Dunno.

-BEN-MAN-

And these Octos have some sort of Personnel compartment in them, as its apparent they can transfer infantry in limited numbers. Intriguing..Where the hell is that Troop Compartment on them??? There doesnt seem to be room! Maybe a tiny room in each leg that opens up to let a few fully loaded combat troops out? Dunno.

-BEN-MAN-

Hmm, seems like Kawamori has been taking cues from the Russian Mi-28 Havoc helicopter (which has a small compartment for a couple of people, despite its anti-tank role ) and the Israeli Merkava tank, which can also carry a small squad of soldiers if its ammunition load is reduced - having seen the size of the hatch they go through, I'm not sure how they fit in there either!

Possibly people carrying Octos lose some weapons/ammo capacity when acting in a troop carrioer role? :huh:

Based on the number of (anti-UN) troops on the beach I would say the Octos have a average capacity of 6 people on board. For a Destroid that´s reasonable (compared to modern tanks)

On a side note : This baby has a whole arsenal of weapons available , I mean , it has a freaking beam gun !!! a damn 8-cell missile launcher pod and another 4 guns damnit. Looking at the overall design and specifically the beam gun you can tell this technology came from the Glaug (even though the ASS was a supercision army ship , but I understand they had Zentradi technology from their brainwashed zentrands).

I´ll be first in line when Yamato makes a toy of these babies :lol:

Edited by Aegis!

• 4 months later...

That's cool. Finally some lineart so I can understand the thing (And not get confused by pictures :( ) Thanks.

Edit: I should also point out that this is the first transformable quad-walker and Macross. And thanks out to Nanashi for providing pictures and what little information was available.

Edited by Boxer

I realize this may be jumping the gun, but...

I think I figured out the transformation process now with the exception of the beam cannon and missles.

But if you look at the profile of the Octos it has too much rear. I just keeps going and going. Where does all that material go in the walker mode??

I suspect it's a booster that is discharged when it transforms. But that could limit things quite a bit.

Either that or its more Anime magic.

To early to tell at this point. Just speculating. :p

Strange, in one of Nanashi's pictures it seems to show the 'Head' rising above the 'body' and the back legs are ejected.

As for the transformations, the beam cannon and missile pod probably fold into the body and cannot be used until transformation.