New Voltron fan film

Dobber

Yeah I'm sorry, but that was rather bad. You got some middle aged old man playing lance which you don't put that together until he says his message, you got no clue how they were defeated and there was really no special effects in there that made you suggest it was really even a voltron film.

The problem I have with all these 80s kids' franchises being given a new lease of life due to the advent of CG is that for some reason, people think the material deserves a grown-up retelling, when most of the time it doesn't, and usually the material will not translate well to a grown-up mindset anyway. "The unthinkable has happened -- Votron has failed; King Zarkon has won"?? Oh my God, these WORDS!!

They shunned the kid audience with the whole set-up and they lost the adult audience there, so it just leaves the die-hard Voltron fans to enjoy this. Great, if that's what they wanted, I guess.

What I don't like about the film is that they thought it was a good idea to potentially kill off at least one of the main characters (for drama). Zarkon finally winning didn't bother me as much.

For everyone here, would you watch a Voltron movie (or show) that had the guts to permanently replace the original pilots for whatever reason with new characters?

I like the set. I wish I had no idea it was Voltron because I would have been digging the clues just from watching. But yeah it's largely miscast... They should got Tilda Swinton as Pidge. lol. I mean seriously was that a guy or a girl?

The problem I have with all these 80s kids' franchises being given a new lease of life due to the advent of CG is that for some reason, people think the material deserves a grown-up retelling, when most of the time it doesn't, and usually the material will not translate well to a grown-up mindset anyway. "The unthinkable has happened -- Votron has failed; King Zarkon has won"?? Oh my God, these WORDS!!

They shunned the kid audience with the whole set-up and they lost the adult audience there, so it just leaves the die-hard Voltron fans to enjoy this. Great, if that's what they wanted, I guess.

I gotta disagree. I think it's a good idea to let franchises grow with the audience it first captured, but there's a way to do it to where it can be enjoyed by both. Actually I think children cartoons are too dumbed down. Even as a kid I wish Voltron, Transformers and GI Joe were a bit more sophisticated. If it wasn't for the animation, designs and concepts I would've tuned out faster than I did.

But I don't think I'll be ready for a BSGized Voltron show, which is clearly what this was.

All those internal injuries are from sitting in a huge cockpit with no seat harness.

Yeah...because the lions couldn't have inertial dampeners like other sci-fi spacecraft :rolleyes: ...it was well acted, and the set was right on considering this was fan made. Foreboding and dark, it was good enough for me to like. Much more entertaining then the vast majority of fan made films out there.

However this one made me laugh:

Edited by Zor Primus

But I don't think I'll be ready for a BSGized Voltron show, which is clearly what this was.

There should have been more wobbly camera effects and spontaneous zooming at Lance's face to make it a BSGized Voltron. The music needed more drums or other percussion instruments added in too.

Would it have made the film better or worse if Lance ended it by saying, "Dammit Keith! I told you to quit screwing around and just form Blazing Sword from the start!"

:p

Edited by Mog