Why can't top-speed runs be done on the Bonneville salt flats? Or does it only "count" if done on asphalt etc?

Because traction sucks on salt, and keeping your tires behaved at a kajillion horsepower is hard enough on hot, sticky blacktop. Last thing anyone needs is to go sideways at 270mph.

Jet-powered cars frequently do speed runs at Bonneville though. Bloodhound SSC is going there I think.

In less boring news, I've had the opportunity to drive a few of the new 2015 Honda Fit with the manual transmission. I can't express how badly I want one.

I have a 2010 fit and love the car but it does have its problems. worse of which would prob be the road noise.

I have a 2010 fit and love the car but it does have its problems. worse of which would prob be the road noise.

The 2015 is a drastic improvement here, especially the 6-speed model. (The CVT is noisy as all hell, as CVTs are)

Have you changed your tires? Most road noise usually comes from worn or poor quality tires.

That's true in most cars, but the Fit is notorious for being noisy, because a low bottom line leaves little room for sound deadening. Quiet tires will help, but they'll only go so far on a car without any soundproofing.

Have you changed your tires? Most road noise usually comes from worn or poor quality tires.

just put michelins on. helped but still noisy.

The 2015 is a drastic improvement here, especially the 6-speed model. (The CVT is noisy as all hell, as CVTs are)

That's true in most cars, but the Fit is notorious for being noisy, because a low bottom line leaves little room for sound deadening. Quiet tires will help, but they'll only go so far on a car without any soundproofing.

I would like the leather. the fabric in mine is the stuff that grabs hair and won't let go. pain if you have dogs.

Are Hondas skimping on sound deadening? I currently drive a tiny Kia hatchback, but I feel Kia has overengineered it, as you can barely hear any road noise on the highways and the interior trim is borderline Audi, save for the hard plastics.

It's a $15,000 subcompact with a curb weight approaching 2600lbs. On top of that low, low price, it has a standard backup camera, a brand new engine, transmission, and platform, best-in-class interior space and materials quality, and not-trash ride and handling. Instead of spending money on a silent cabin, they put a nicer radio in.

And given my experience with Kias, they still just don't have all the little details of economy cars sorted like Honda does. Kias still feel tinny and they don't have good seats or ergonomics. Honda has decades of practice to stand on, and it shows.

It's a $15,000 subcompact with a curb weight approaching 2600lbs. On top of that low, low price, it has a standard backup camera, a brand new engine, transmission, and platform, best-in-class interior space and materials quality, and not-trash ride and handling. Instead of spending money on a silent cabin, they put a nicer radio in.

And given my experience with Kias, they still just don't have all the little details of economy cars sorted like Honda does. Kias still feel tinny and they don't have good seats or ergonomics. Honda has decades of practice to stand on, and it shows.

In Southeast Asia, it's a different story. Since majority of the Japanese brands are made in Thailand, India, or Indonesia, the quality is lagging a bit compared to the same models that are made in Japan (if available).

On the other hand, Hyundai and Kia cars feel more upscale at the same price range as their Japanese competitors. They benefit heavily from improved design and ergonomics after hiring former BMW and Audi designers.

Are Hondas skimping on sound deadening? I currently drive a tiny Kia hatchback, but I feel Kia has overengineered it, as you can barely hear any road noise on the highways and the interior trim is borderline Audi, save for the hard plastics.

Ive heard the new civic is a little noisy. The Fit is just a very simple car that you'll prob have no prob driving 250,000 miles. thats what i like about it. It reminds me of my 97 civic. the civic was more comfortable though. I feel that in Hondas your paying for engineering where it counts. in the drivetrain.

Thats funny. I always though my Fits radio was pretty good for a economy car and it makes sense. I would like a new fit but my next dd will prob be something awd.

I think its priced just about right to compete with the FR-S/BRZ in the US. BRZ weighs 2600 and ND Miata is 2300 so I would guess they would be about same 0-60. I'd definitely wait for a mazdaspeed or see what the abarth version will turn out to be.

That price sounds about right, based on the current Miata.

But if you think the Miata needs more power, you're missing the point. All the same, if you think that extra 45hp makes the FRBZRSTQG869 Celica qualify as "not underpowered" you're incorrect. The Miata is so small and tossable, that low power figure fits it perfectly. It's not a fast car, it's a fun car. The Subuyota Celica isn't nearly as quick as it should be to make up for how not-fast it is. Noisy, too, with a cheap feel that you don't get in the Miata.

If you have $25,000-$30,000 to spend on a new sport coupe, your options are basically Miata and Mustang Ecoboost. There isn't really any reason to buy the Scion Failed to Reach Success or Subaru Buy a Real Z, considering how poorly they stack up against either end of the spectrum, and how poorly-rounded they are. That car came totally unprepared for what Ford was about to bring, and I don't think anyone expected the Miata's weight to come down. Not to mention its base price is the highest of the bunch, without offering the best handling or power potential in the class, and frankly having the worst interior. (Which is a shocker when the competition is an American carmaker and its discarded Japanese economy car holding)

That price sounds about right, based on the current Miata.

But if you think the Miata needs more power, you're missing the point. All the same, if you think that extra 45hp makes the FRBZRSTQG869 Celica qualify as "not underpowered" you're incorrect. The Miata is so small and tossable, that low power figure fits it perfectly. It's not a fast car, it's a fun car. The Subuyota Celica isn't nearly as quick as it should be to make up for how not-fast it is. Noisy, too, with a cheap feel that you don't get in the Miata.

If you have $25,000-$30,000 to spend on a new sport coupe, your options are basically Miata and Mustang Ecoboost. There isn't really any reason to buy the Scion Failed to Reach Success or Subaru Buy a Real Z, considering how poorly they stack up against either end of the spectrum, and how poorly-rounded they are. That car came totally unprepared for what Ford was about to bring, and I don't think anyone expected the Miata's weight to come down. Not to mention its base price is the highest of the bunch, without offering the best handling or power potential in the class, and frankly having the worst interior. (Which is a shocker when the competition is an American carmaker and its discarded Japanese economy car holding)

You should get those BRZ/FR-S anger issues checked out, that's just not healthy.

I spent 3 years getting myself hyped up for the car between when they announced it and when the disappointment of a decade was launched. And then I drove it. It's a car that would fit in 10 years before it came out, but god what a failure to meet any reasonable standard of a modern car. The car's sales have proven its total lack of mass appeal since the initial boom, after which all the people who wanted one already had one, and nobody else would be caught dead in such a miserable excuse for a modern car. This is the nightmarish half-aborted spawn of a passionate lunatic CEO and the most incompetent marketing bureaucrats in the world, not the awesome results of Toyota and Subaru making the best sports coupe ever through combined engineering know-how. All the power of a Toyota, all the fuel economy of a Subie, all the quality of a Scion, and all the "fun" is the fact that its Prius tires couldn't grip the inside of a bottle of rubber cement, so they can hide its lame performance behind its ability to break its made-of-ice tires loose, because drifting bro.

Chrissakes, my stock 25 year old 240SX is faster and funner. Hell, it even has a usable backseat and its materials quality and ergonomics don't evoke Yaris. How is it this NEW TOYOTA can't beat a GENERATION OLD NISSAN? Oh how the Japanese have fallen.

Here's another look at the Singer Porsche 911.

Part of me thinks: yeh, those Singers are so cool, combining modern materials & upgrades with those classic lines. But in hindsight, it's still a Porsche. Those are some absolutely ridiculous prices to pay for a car that, at some point, will actively try to kill you.

• 2 weeks later...

Regular Car Reviews has been less and less about dick jokes and more and more about (this guy was obviously an) English Major prosaic pretentious nonsense interspersed between bouts of circlejerking over vaguely special cars lately, and it's a direction I'm not digging. And while I'm ranting, am I the only one frustrated by Mr Regular's simultaneous desire to become a heavy hitter YouTube car show guy AND remain anonymous? How noncommittal can you get? And why don't we ever hear from the Roman except for those stupid musical bits at the beginning and end of the video?

I like how Mr. Regular loves certain cars, just makes him a "regular car guy" like the rest of us. When he was talking about the 360 Modena he treated it like a regular car and rambled on but talking about a MR2 you could feel his love for that car. Eventually he will have to show his face but I can't really blame him for staying anonymous.

I just think it's the most noncommittal thing in the world. It's disingenuous to say "we're not heavy-hitters... yet" but also say "I want to remain anonymous". If you wanna be like Marty and Moog, or Matt Farah, or Mike Spinelli, or whoever, you have to come to terms with the fact that fame needs a face. And if you wanna be faceless, then shut up and apply to Jalopnik. I'm sure they'd hire you outright.

I dunno, I saw a satin black Lamborghini at Stanford last summer and it looked amazing. A guy parked his black R8 next to it and circled the Lamborghini several times before grabbing his clubs... which got me wondering if you could fit golf clubs in the Lamborghini.