Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

3 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

"bust"?

okay, looks like Caitlin O'Shaunnessy just joined the crew! :D Greatly appreciated!!!

Man, I had such a crush on her back in 'the day.'😁 But yeah, Moebius gave separate chest pieces for either a male or female pilot.

4 hours ago, Thom said:

Man, I had such a crush on her back in 'the day.'😁 But yeah, Moebius gave separate chest pieces for either a male or female pilot.

Same here; I always thought Hawk was a moron for not dating her! :D

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Same here; I always thought Hawk was a moron for not dating her! :D

Or Dom. 
Honestly, if String went for her, she’d have only been in one or two episodes 

17 hours ago, Thom said:

@VertexNebula Welcome! And a nice intro. Looks like a nice little kit, fitment notwithstanding. Any idea of scale?

@pengbuzz Those will be in a shuttle flight heading out Monday from Caprica. They had a little too much RnR, so treat them gently. And by 'gently' I mean Drill Sergeant Gently! whip them into fine shape! And if you use the one with the bust one will be in even finer shape!

@Urashiman Your Padewan has a nice eye for a pretty plane. And gray is good. I looked around a came actoss this...

HO%20229.jpg?itok=yL5LygZp

Or this...

sws72-01.jpg

Glad he (and you) are having fun with it!

Thom

Haha great!

In Soviet Russia, model kit builds you!

Another kit finished today. My kid was eyeing this stone age kit. So we build it:

IMG_6524.jpeg.a1f48beb93f9149ee5f6761425b350f4.jpeg

The mold must be from the 70s or something. It had horrible quality. My kid wasn‘t happy with the build and complained.

Anyway… clamps.IMG_6526.jpeg.26e5a81ab3bb937a340615cc780462bc.jpeg

IMG_6527.jpeg.501e0433f5cb115cc9f6ba2663a7cec7.jpeg

After around an hour it was at this stage.

IMG_6528.jpeg.3339d7024bce8d1ae4a25e3b9e4c035b.jpeg

Even with sanding it didn’t look too good. It probably would have needed much more love, I guess.

have a look at the instructions :)

IMG_6529.jpeg.81467ae641a3a6b066e1234ff05ca2fd.jpeg

IMG_6530.jpeg.d136af73b133b3dead60cb6ff09bce79.jpeg

Here the result without paint.

IMG_6531.jpeg.f5c5891b259154cea4657c5d459947c9.jpeg

Then I blasted. Primer and then revell white 04, thinned with mr. Color levelling thinner. I have found that when you mix revell enamel colors with the levelling thinner, they dry much quicker ~ 20-30min till you can touch it and leave no fingerprints.

IMG_6538.jpeg.8559411d0509c8f97ca6b4148c8e682c.jpeg

I used the chinese not strings attached airbrush again. Then I masked and added more color.

IMG_6541.jpeg.4d55d287b35dc5691cae740f3092c55d.jpeg

Then some more paint with normal paint brush and done.

IMG_6543.jpeg.6be6beb0a69a6397fe68849770fa6a18.jpeg

Total time invested: ~2.5h

no need for decals, the kit has none provided. Hahahaha 

19 hours ago, Urashiman said:

Build time: ~2hours.

Man, third kit already done this year! I‘m on fire! Hahhaha

What a beautiful plane.  Reminds me of some Miyazaki airships.

@VertexNebula Welcome aboard! I know you said you had fit issues. It looks like there is a lot of glue oozing out of the joints. You can use baking soda as an accelerator and filler too if it comes down to that.  I'm guessing that's a 1/265th gaming piece?

@Urashiman WOW! you get extra bonus points for not only being a good dad AND passing on the hobby, but for completing THREE kits! That's about one a month so far. Can he keep up!?😁 - MT

@MechTechThanks! Interesting idea about baking soda and filler, I'll look into that! Yup, the main issue was the pegs on the parts were too thick, and needed to be thinned out some in the 3D program, in order to fit nicely together. This was printed at 1/285 scale.

It was hard to get any of the resin parts to stick to one another using any types of glues, which explains the glue mess.

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

@VertexNebula Welcome aboard! I know you said you had fit issues. It looks like there is a lot of glue oozing out of the joints. You can use baking soda as an accelerator and filler too if it comes down to that.  I'm guessing that's a 1/265th gaming piece?

@Urashiman WOW! you get extra bonus points for not only being a good dad AND passing on the hobby, but for completing THREE kits! That's about one a month so far. Can he keep up!?😁 - MT

4 now. The SU-47, the VF-1 the Horten Ho 229 and the Soyuz :S

2 hours ago, Urashiman said:

4 now. The SU-47, the VF-1 the Horten Ho 229 and the Soyuz :S

Hotren hears a Ho? I thought Christmas was 3 months ago!! :lol:

Edited by pengbuzz

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Hotren hears a Ho? I thought Christmas was 3 months ago!! :lol:

He picks them up on the streets to fill in time before Christmas, but they’re usually paid to shut up

@VertexNebula Dah! I meant 1/285th. That's cool. For gluing the parts, just put a thin layer on both pieces and hold them together. It will prevent all the excess glue. Just be patient. After glue is coating both sides, then the baking soda can be used (just a bit) to accelerate things. CA takes some getting used too, but you'll get it.

@Urashiman Oh, sorry comrade! I missed the Soyuz while posting. Looks good! - MT

Edited by MechTech

2 hours ago, Big s said:

He picks them up on the streets to fill in time before Christmas, but they’re usually paid to shut up

Ho, not "Hoe!!!" O.o As in "Ho Ho Ho"?

Edited by pengbuzz

image.png.dd93702978a5faba2adc13c7a4690eb2.png

I got back to my 1:48 Hasegawa P-38J "Virginia Marie" build. I added Fine Molds' seatbelts to add detail and they look nice. People complain about the wheel wells on the engine nacelles and I see what they mean. They could have been engineered a bit better, with locator teeth to get them to fit together more tightly. The halves also require a lot of sanding for the seamlines. It's unfortunate because the panel lines are already so shallow.

I have the 1:48 P-38G by Tamiya too. My wife bought it for me for my birthday a few years ago. I want to build this Hasegawa one first to give me more of an appreciation. Then my friend in the UK sent me a 1:72 P-38J by Matchbox. The decals are only so-so. I've been talking to the gentleman at Bestfong Decals in Taiwan to order a set of Republic of China Air Force decals for it.

Oh yes, and I've been recently working on a batch project of all four of ARII's Zentraedi capital ships: Breetai's flagship, Kamjin's flagship, the LST, and the standard battleship. I've put two videos on YT of this build so far.

7 hours ago, SteveTheFish said:

Oh yes, and I've been recently working on a batch project of all four of ARII's Zentraedi capital ships: Breetai's flagship, Kamjin's flagship, the LST, and the standard battleship. I've put two videos on YT of this build so far.

Haha cool - I have the battle ship in my basement as well.

@SteveTheFish Wow, from one extreme in model building to the other😁 The '38 is looking good! I remember, those Arii kits looked so cool - until you opened them!😕 The sculpts looked very different than the lineart - but they are still a COOL part of Macross model history. I have them, but will probably never build them as collectors items. Thanks for sharing your builds! - MT

4 hours ago, Thom said:

I remember being (and still) disappointed by Breetai's flagship. Wonder how that happened? Anyway, nice progress @SteveTheFish. Your little Zentradi fleet is coming together!

Same for the P-38!

That reminds me; I have to dig out and finish the one I made from masking tape.

Yeah, the proportions on Breetai's flagship are off. I'd think the model would need to be longer or something. It's too brick-ish and needs to be tapered. 

UPDATE:

Got the figures in today's mail (thanks Thom!!!👍 ); after some filing and whatnot, I have some progress on them. Of course, they'll need a bit more work, but that's nothing much:

100_0419.JPG.69d26a63e3f32cac2cd1e8a04f4ac612.JPG100_0421.JPG.3737e586f8f73ff5c5463b1f247f9eb1.JPG

On one of them, the feet were missing, so I just took a pair I already had and glued them on and filed them. Dom won't need anything else, as he'll only be visible from the waist up through the front window.

100_0422.JPG.cb3d90530b82dd1caa31c89d3477d42f.JPG

Stay tuned folks...