safe to order?

zechs

HLJ is located in Tochigi and it is even closer to Fukushima than Tokyo is. Current news report there are higher radioactive levels of certain elements found in milk, vegetable and even in tap water. One of the reactors even has plutionium. Some countries already started to stop importing food from Japan. While some of you have said it's really safe to buy toys from HLJ recently, things are starting to get worse with smokes coming out of the reactors. I just wonder if most of you still order the goods without any worries.

Another Chicken Little :rolleyes:

Be careful of anything that glows in the dark, at least you won't have to buy any display lights for your cabinet :ph34r: .

Edited by thegunny

Wont stop me buying, nothing to fear.

I think the media sack puppets don't help the average person make an educated decision with all their doom stories and sensationalized news.

I don't see how you people can be so flippant about all this, clearly anything imported from japan is going to be so bathed in radiation that coming within a hundred feet of it will surely turn you into some sort of horrible radioactive zombie. :rolleyes:

HLJ is located in Tochigi and it is even closer to Fukushima than Tokyo is. Current news report there are higher radioactive levels of certain elements found in milk, vegetable and even in tap water. One of the reactors even has plutionium. Some countries already started to stop importing food from Japan. While some of you have said it's really safe to buy toys from HLJ recently, things are starting to get worse with smokes coming out of the reactors. I just wonder if most of you still order the goods without any worries.

so yeah, there's some radiation out there and on the off chance you get a box covered in ash, you can wipe it off with a damp, soapy cloth and it will be fine.

You can even drink the radioactive milk and make cheese and spinach crepes out of the food. It's higher than normal but FAR, FAR, FAR lower than what's considered dangerous. The amount of radiation we're talking about is the difference between living in Denver and living in NYC.

You can even drink the radioactive milk and make cheese and spinach crepes out of the food. It's higher than normal but FAR, FAR, FAR lower than what's considered dangerous. The amount of radiation we're talking about is the difference between living in Denver and living in NYC.

Please don't spread this kind of ignorance. Our skin have resistance against alpha radiation, but radioactive isotope ingested inside the body is a different story and you can't compare that with external exposure.

As for ordering toy from Japan, it should be safe but I am waiting for them to fix the damn thing first.

Edited by CF18

Please don't spread this kind of ignorance. Our skin have resistance against alpha radiation, but radioactive isotope ingested inside the body is a different story and you can't compare that with external exposure.

You sir must have never eaten a banana!

"Radiation levels exceeding provisional standards have been found (in some products)," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said. "What I want the people to understand is that their levels are not high enough to affect humans. Eating these products just a couple of times would not affect people's health."

"You would have to eat or drink an awful lot to get any level of radiation that would be harmful," said Laurence Williams, professor of nuclear safety at the John Tyndall Institute in Britain.

"We live in a radioactive world — we get radiation from the earth, from the food we eat. It's an emotive subject and the nuclear industry and governments have got to do a lot more to educate people."

I'm not trying to derail this conversation but you shouldn't go calling people 'ignorant' when the experts disagree with you.

I see no reason to be at all scared of ordering toys from Japan.

Edited by jenius

well, rather than being scared of "radiation" crap, reckon you oughta be more scared about the horrid exchange-rate and any sudden jacking up of prices of importing from there.

you never know. they might try to actually sell them "radioactive" stuff as "extremely limited editions, with free tentacles!"...

:D

As for ordering toy from Japan, it should be safe but I am waiting for them to fix the damn thing first.

You're absolutely right, if you're prepared to eat 41lbs of spinach that you're not going to wash first (for the equivalent exposure of working at nuclear power plant for a year)... or eat two lbs of spinach a day for a year or drink 58,000 glasses of milk (160 years drinking 8oz a day) then you've raised your risk for cancer by 4% respectively.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/03/21/134746912/radioactive-milk-only-a-danger-after-58-000-glasses

Try doing a little research before you start calling people names.

:angry:

Edited by eugimon

Wow go ahead believe that spin, which is really moronic since it assume the radioactive isotope don't accumulate in your body, so much for "expert". <_< In particular it completely ignore the iodine-131 accumulation in thyroid, which the iodine tablets can help prevent by saturate thyroid with harmless iodine-127. Radiation exposure is not simple math of multiplication.

Yeah it is so perfectly safe the Japanese government is wasting food to ban them...

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-food-radiation-qa-20110322,0,5261235.story?page=2

Radioactive material in food is measured in becquerels, or Bq. The limit for iodine-131 is 55 Bq per kilogram for infant food and 300 Bq per kilogram for other foods regulated by the FDA. For meat and poultry, which are regulated by the Department of Agriculture, the limit is 55 Bq per kilogram. The limit for cesium-134 and cesium-137 for all foods is 370 Bq per kilogram.

In Japan, some milk was reported to contain 1,510 Bq of iodine-131 per kilogram.

Wow go ahead believe that spin, which is really moronic since it assume the radioactive isotope don't accumulate in your body, so much for "expert". <_< In particular it completely ignore the iodine-131 accumulation in thyroid, which the iodine tablets can help prevent by saturate thyroid with harmless iodine-127. Radiation exposure is not simple math of multiplication.

Yeah it is so perfectly safe the Japanese government is wasting food to ban them...

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-food-radiation-qa-20110322,0,5261235.story?page=2

Yes, it does accumulate, that's why if you drink 58,000 glasses of milk you might be in danger. :rolleyes:

But hey, you just keep on calling people names and running around screaming that the sky is falling.

BTW, you should be far more concerned with living next to a coal powered power plant or next to an oil refinery or for that matter a freeway. And heaven forbid you live in Denver...

And since you're so quick to discredit everyone who disagrees with you, please list your credentials so we can see what sort of education, training and background you have on the subject versus the experts the US and Japanese governments are consulting on the matter as well as numerous news organizations such as CNN, BBC and NPR.

I hope you'll be contacting them to confront all the misinformation being spread by them, after all this is of grave public health concern that they're spreading these sorts of lies.

And please let us know when your interviews will be airing. :rolleyes:

Edited by eugimon