Yamato Super Ostrich at 30% discount at HLJ...

GU-11

I've been eying the 1/60 scale Super Ostrich for a while, and the 30% discount HLJ is offering for it is pretty tempting. Problem is, the Super Ostrich has been known to have potentially fragile shoulder hinges [the old knurled hinge pin issue], and a possible fall from the shelves is only going to make things worse.

So, do you guys think a 30% discount is worth taking a gamble on the fig, or should I pass on it?

If 30% is nothing special, as in there will be similar or even better discounts some other time, then I'll probably want to play it safe.

I would say that if you want one, you'd best grab it soon, and just deal with the shoulders if needed.

While many here love the two-seaters, the fact that people still receive ones of these with broken shoulders means it may not have ever received any new production runs, and what's on sale could still be stock from before the fixes came. Despite being unique and very iconic, I don't think it's one of the popular sellers.

Now, if you get one, and it has the shoulder fixes, that'd be good news for fans of it, since it means they did reissue them.

If, on the other hand, you get one that does have broken shoulders, you can take solace in the fact that you have the one you wanted before the prices start to imitate the Takatoku 1/55. And even if the VT-1 disappears from the market entirely, you likely have a steady source of spare tan shoulders from the VF-1D, which is so iconic I doubt it will fade from favor any time soon.

Plus, we never saw the VT-1 really use its arms in the first place (I think.. unless it used them quickly in the rescue scene). I'm pretty sure my shoulders have been cracked since day one, but I don't think I've ever taken it past half gerwalk mode. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

I had the same issue with the VF-0A. In the end I bought it anyways. 55 percent off, there is no way I would miss that regardless if it was the first edition or a re-release version. I believe my topic about me complain about it is still around here. Maybe their advices might help you.

In the end if it breaks, I'll just duct tape it together.

I've been eying the 1/60 scale Super Ostrich for a while, and the 30% discount HLJ is offering for it is pretty tempting. Problem is, the Super Ostrich has been known to have potentially fragile shoulder hinges [the old knurled hinge pin issue], and a possible fall from the shelves is only going to make things worse.

So, do you guys think a 30% discount is worth taking a gamble on the fig, or should I pass on it?

If 30% is nothing special, as in there will be similar or even better discounts some other time, then I'll probably want to play it safe.

I thought this was a small problem, shoulder joints, and not wide spread or I could be mistaken. Can some one concur ?

@moose: There have been reports of people getting Super Ostriches with bad shoulders, almost as many as those with good ones, so it is a 50-50 chance.

Whether one would consider this a small or big problem is a subjective matter.

@gu-11: I'll say just get it. I mean it's a 50-50 case anyway, so might as well get it while it's on discount, right?

@moose: There have been reports of people getting Super Ostriches with bad shoulders, almost as many as those with good ones, so it is a 50-50 chance.

Whether one would consider this a small or big problem is a subjective matter.

@gu-11: I'll say just get it. I mean it's a 50-50 case anyway, so might as well get it while it's on discount, right?

Both my shoulders came cracked, I have still transformed and played with it multiples times and love it. Shoulders have not broken off yet. I really like mine, it is so unique and really comes alive once you decal it a bit. I would say buy it for sure. if you are concerned, keep it in fighter and half gerwalk, still looks amazing.

I think i will go play with mine now.

By the way, if the one I get happens to have the knurled hinge pins [and I pray it doesn't], do I ask HLJ for replacement parts or do I go to Graham for that?

Also, I just found out AmiAmi has the Super Ostrich on sale at 15% off. The last time I dealt with HLJ about a faulty figure [the Nora] it took me over six months for get them to fix it for me, and I even had to send the busted fig back myself. Have you guys dealt with AmiAmi before? I heard they offer speedy replacements for any defective products. Honestly, I'd be willing to trade a lesser discount for better after-purchase services--the hoops I had to jump through to get the Nora fixed is NOT something I'd like to experience again.

By the way, if the one I get happens to have the knurled hinge pins [and I pray it doesn't], do I ask HLJ for replacement parts or do I go to Graham for that?

Also, I just found out AmiAmi has the Super Ostrich on sale at 15% off. The last time I dealt with HLJ about a faulty figure [the Nora] it took me over six months for get them to fix it for me, and I even had to send the busted fig back myself. Have you guys dealt with AmiAmi before? I heard they offer speedy replacements for any defective products. Honestly, I'd be willing to trade a lesser discount for better after-purchase services--the hoops I had to jump through to get the Nora fixed is NOT something I'd like to experience again.

My VT-1 came with broken shoulders in the box. I mailed HLJ 1 month ago and got a message 2 weeks after that saying they changed their parts department. No news since then, and with the current situation in Japan I don't blame them

I've had luck with all my VF-1 variants and never got a bad one, save for the bad peg on the right thigh/intake of my VF-1D which was replaced by Yamato only for me to have screwed up in the reassembly thus dooming it to fighter-mode only. Hopefully they re-issue it since it is shown as being discontinued, I'd hate to have to e-Bay it.

It seems fate has decided for me already. AmiAmi's Super Ostrich is sold out. Guess it's HLJ or nothing--back to Plan A, I suppose.

Sorry to hear about your VF-1D, Macross Fanboy. Well, even older designs like MacZero's VF-0's have received reissues, so there's no reason to think that the iconic VF-1D won't as well. BTW, glad to hear you and your family are okay in Japan.

My VT-1 came with broken shoulders in the box. I mailed HLJ 1 month ago and got a message 2 weeks after that saying they changed their parts department. No news since then, and with the current situation in Japan I don't blame them

Yeah, what I'm really concerned about is that if it took them almost six months to fix up my Nora when everything was fine, how long's it gonna take now should a customer need replacement parts?

That said, I fully understand and sympathize with the situation over there, and it's totally within reason to allow HLJ some time to get back on their feet.

It seems fate has decided for me already. AmiAmi's Super Ostrich is sold out. Guess it's HLJ or nothing--back to Plan A, I suppose.

Sorry to hear about your VF-1D, Macross Fanboy. Well, even older designs like MacZero's VF-0's have received reissues, so there's no reason to think that the iconic VF-1D won't as well. BTW, glad to hear you and your family are okay in Japan.

My biggest issues with Valks right now is that I have nowhere to really display them, I busted out my two YF-19s and VF-0s with Ghosts out in the living room and I'm waiting on a response for a customized book case with enough shelves to house my Valks since they're currently all boxed up still from my move back to California last year. Thanks, my family and in-laws are fine, they should be back here on the 31st.

My biggest issues with Valks right now is that I have nowhere to really display them, I busted out my two YF-19s and VF-0s with Ghosts out in the living room and I'm waiting on a response for a customized book case with enough shelves to house my Valks since they're currently all boxed up still from my move back to California last year. Thanks, my family and in-laws are fine, they should be back here on the 31st.

Same problem with display space over here. Just one IKEA Detolf glass shelf for a whole lot of VF's waiting their turn. I might have to consider an all-glass/acrylic wall shelf one of these days.

I just got an Ostrich from HLJ about a month ago. Bad news is that one of the shoulders has a slight hairline crack right out of the box. Good news is that I don't intend to transform it. I think the Ostrich looks best in fighter mode, great in gerwalk but fugly in battroid. If you plan on transforming it a lot - I would say pass. If you plan on getting one for display - I would say 30% discount is very reasonable to get one. The classic date scene with that valkyrie is what makes it special. Just be warned that if you do get one and look at it - you may start to hum that Minmei song in the date scene. ^_^

I would say that if you want one, you'd best grab it soon, and just deal with the shoulders if needed.

While many here love the two-seaters, the fact that people still receive ones of these with broken shoulders means it may not have ever received any new production runs, and what's on sale could still be stock from before the fixes came. Despite being unique and very iconic, I don't think it's one of the popular sellers.

Now, if you get one, and it has the shoulder fixes, that'd be good news for fans of it, since it means they did reissue them.

If, on the other hand, you get one that does have broken shoulders, you can take solace in the fact that you have the one you wanted before the prices start to imitate the Takatoku 1/55. And even if the VT-1 disappears from the market entirely, you likely have a steady source of spare tan shoulders from the VF-1D, which is so iconic I doubt it will fade from favor any time soon.

Plus, we never saw the VT-1 really use its arms in the first place (I think.. unless it used them quickly in the rescue scene). I'm pretty sure my shoulders have been cracked since day one, but I don't think I've ever taken it past half gerwalk mode. :p

IIRC, Hikaru and Misa were using full GERWALK mode, arm units deployed, of their VT-1 all throughout the "escape" sequence with Focker in DYRL, up until the scene where they found Minmay and got sucked out that hole in the hull of the Zentran ship, then they shifted to FIGHTER mode after the space fold, simultaneously jettisoning their VT-1's FAST-PACK system as they were entering earth atmosphere...

oh, and the VT-1 never was a big seller among anyone but the hardest of hardcore MACROSS fans;

the Valk collection completests and the few out there who are genuinely fond of the VT-1 design.

the VE-1 ELINTSEEKER is an even tougher sell, i believe, as it is an equally unorthodox

design, with nowhere near as iconic a status as the VT-1...

I've had luck with all my VF-1 variants and never got a bad one, save for the bad peg on the right thigh/intake of my VF-1D which was replaced by Yamato only for me to have screwed up in the reassembly thus dooming it to fighter-mode only. Hopefully they re-issue it since it is shown as being discontinued, I'd hate to have to e-Bay it.

why settle for your mistake? dismantle and reassemble it until you have it right!

I just got an Ostrich from HLJ about a month ago. Bad news is that one of the shoulders has a slight hairline crack right out of the box. Good news is that I don't intend to transform it. I think the Ostrich looks best in fighter mode, great in gerwalk but fugly in battroid. If you plan on transforming it a lot - I would say pass. If you plan on getting one for display - I would say 30% discount is very reasonable to get one. The classic date scene with that valkyrie is what makes it special. Just be warned that if you do get one and look at it - you may start to hum that Minmei song in the date scene. ^_^

-♥ Sunset Beach ♥-

Edited by Shaorin

That's the biggest selling point to me. :D Too bad I don't have enough cash. <_<

Will be getting some GN-U's instead. BTW (I know, off topic) do you think $25 dollars each is a good deal for the weathered ones?

Edited by s001

I just rewatched that scene on Youtube...damn, now I REALLY want that Super Ostrich.

Now I've got no excuse not to buy it, since 2% of the profits HLJ makes from the sale goes to the Red Cross Society.

Same problem with display space over here. Just one IKEA Detolf glass shelf for a whole lot of VF's waiting their turn. I might have to consider an all-glass/acrylic wall shelf one of these days.

Yeah, I'm waiting for a quote on a customized book case that can fit in my man cave/guest room and house all of my Valks rather than try and hunt down the perfect one.

mistake? dismantle and reassemble it until you have it right!

Nah, I', planning to use the nose/cockpit unit as a spare with the VF-1S kit to create a two seat VF-1"DB" and get some custom made VFA-102 Diamondbacks Side No. 102 50th Anniversary scheme. Just have to find somebody who can make decals or find out a method for me to try at home.