1/48 VF-1 series improvements

DatterBoy

Just wanted to know what the improvements over the older 1/48's are on the rick 1J. Trying to decide if I should go for a less expensive Hikaru 1A or go for the new Rick 1J with the nice new hands.

Are there improvements in stability, transformation, etc? Any new sculpts for any part of the design?

Thanks

:Dat

Edited by DatterBoy

Disclaimer-All my VF-1J info is what I gathered from the pictures as I don't have one yet.

Redesigned for TV Style:

Extra, non-articulated hands

Cockpit and Pilot Sculpt

Arm armors

Forearms (not really redesigned, but the DYRL 1/48s have a black stripe that goes the length of the forearm. The VF-1J has a stripe that's perpendicular to the DYRL style stripe, so a whole new mold for the arms had to be made. It's a very minor redesign.)

Improvements: (All of these are on the Hikaru VF-1S too)

Nosecone

Wing flaps

Material used for pilot

Easier to open front landing gear doors

Other Improvement on the Hikaru VF-1S, but not the VF-1J:

Crooked Skull on tailfin straightened (VF-1J doesn't have skulls)

The "Pimple" that was present on the Roy VF-1S head in gone too.

Curved headrest

Did I forget anything? I always feel like I forgot something.

Did I forget anything? I always feel like I forgot something.

Well, there were loose canopy problems on the VF-1S Roy initial release. As far as I know, none of the other 1/48s have had this problem (I heard one complaint of loose canopy on a 1S Hikaru, but apparently that was an isolated case).

Edited by Draykov

My Hikaru 1S has loose joints on the legs... I haven't tried to tighten them but will do so soon, hopefully this isn't a common thing.

Another change is the little dip in the headrest which was really unnecessary. I put the improved Hikau pilot in the older models and he fits just fine... Why they made the ugly change? I don't know... not a big deal, but it just makes me wonder about some choices.

I can't wait for the my 1J from Kevin!!! C'mon Kevin, i'm burning a hole in my pocket!!!

I put the improved Hikau pilot in the older models and he fits just fine... Why they made the ugly change? I don't know... not a big deal, but it just makes me wonder about some choices.

I imagine it has something to do with accommodating the sculpt of the TV pilots. I liked it just fine the way it was, but whatever.

The VF-1J has all the improvements first introduced way back on the VF-1A Max type, which include: -

1) Improved nosecone design that does not fall off so easily.

2) Improved flaps which do not come off so easily.

It also has: -

3) The improved easier opening front landing gear doors, first introduced on the VF-1A Low Vis.

Other changes to the VF-1J Hikaru include: -

4) Resculpted curved headrest on the pilot seat, first introduced on the VF-1S Hikaru. This change was made primarily to accomodate the TV type pilot which is larger at the rear than the DYRL pilot helmets.

5) All new Hikaru TV pilot sculpt, made of the same rubber type material first used on the Low Vis Pilot. Hikaru pilot figure has a central joystick moldedto the right hand.

6) Addition of 4 non-articulated rubber TV type hands, including: - left and right closed fist, right gunpod hand, left open hand.

7) All new resculpted TV forearms. These were done primarily to correct the shape of the elbows and make them more accurate by including the 'U' shape end profile, not beacuse of the stripe issue as tom64ss suggested.

8) All new TV type arm FAST Packs, shorter than the DYRL versions and with an angled front profile and smaller arm missiles.

9) VF-1J FAST Packs are a lighter shade of blue than the DYRL FPs.

Graham

Trying to decide if I should go for a less expensive Hikaru 1A or go for the new Rick 1J with the nice new hands.

I would personally suggest you get Hikaru's 1S and trade heads with someone for the 1A style since this version will have all current QC issues resolved and updates if you want to go the cheaper route.

Also it includes stable 90 degree elbow flexion. You can flex the elbows 90 degrees on the previous VF-1a Hikaru and VF-1S Focker, but they very easily snap back about 10 degrees by simply touching the arms.

The VF-1J has all the improvements first introduced way back on the VF-1A Max type, which include: -

3) The improved easier opening front landing gear doors, first introduced on the VF-1A Low Vis.

4) Resculpted curved headrest on the pilot seat, first introduced on the VF-1S Hikaru. This change was made primarily to accomodate the TV type pilot which is larger at the rear than the DYRL pilot helmets.

5) All new Hikaru TV pilot sculpt, made of the same rubber type material first used on the Low Vis Pilot. Hikaru pilot figure has a central joystick moldedto the right hand.

6) Addition of 4 non-articulated rubber TV type hands, including: - left and right closed fist, right gunpod hand, left open hand.

7) All new resculpted TV forearms. These were done primarily to correct the shape of the elbows and make them more accurate by including the 'U' shape end profile, not beacuse of the stripe issue as tom64ss suggested.

8) All new TV type arm FAST Packs, shorter than the DYRL versions and with an angled front profile and smaller arm missiles.

Graham

How about the 90% arm bend not present in the first releases of the VF-1A Hikaru & VF-1S Roy?

6) Addition of 4 non-articulated rubber TV type hands, including: -  left and right closed fist, right gunpod hand, left open hand.

Graham

How about the 90% arm bend not present in the first releases of the VF-1A Hikaru & VF-1S Roy?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one!

I knew there had to be a better reason than just that stripe. :p