What do you do with a VF-1D with a Broken Peg?

GU-11

I'm sorry but it's really disturbing to see you making rant about your VF-1D everywhere you go in this forum. Yellowing "beige color" on body, broken tab, yellowing "rainbow coated" canopy, what's next?

The VF-1D has already been released for a year and no problem was found or pointed out except the little Hikaru won't sit right in his seat so the canopy can't close flush. For everything else, if you transform the V2 properly, there is no problem associated with it.

don_t_panic_button-758852.jpg

May I present you the old 1/55 Chunky Monkey? They are built do last, simple transformation and robust.

VI-RS, I know where you're coming from, but just hear me out.

I'll admit that sometimes my words come off rather heavy-handed and harsh, but I was really looking forward to finally getting my hands on a VF-1D, and it was defective. The -1D is one of my favorite VF's, and I was (still am, actually) more than a little angry about mine having a busted leg.

If you have to keep referring to the beige tone thing, remember that I admitted it was my mistake of my own free will. I could have tried to save face and not told anyone about, but I posted and admitted to my mistake, so that it wouldn't cause undue confusion to other VF-1D owners. I have no intention nor any motivation to spread panic about the VF-1D.

Sincerely, I'm glad to know that your VF-1D is fine, but I'm dissatisfied with the QC of the one I got, and posted a thread here. And if you read the replies in this and other threads, you'll notice I'm not the only one with the broken leg peg problem here.

The broken right leg peg is a fact; ask Old Man, Macross Fanboy and Kanedaestes, as well as several others who have similar problems with their VF-1D's.

I don't see how and why my complaints about a faulty product from their company should upset you at all.

Well, the good news is that this will probably be my last post on this particular thread and topic. HLJ is arranging for the replacement parts to be shipped to me, and once my problems with the VF-1D are solved, I no longer feel the need to bring up anything related to this incident anymore. Whether anyone else wants to relate a similar problem with theirs, however, is up to them.

For the record, I'm not trying to bash Yamato, nor am I some Bandai-loving Yamato hater. All my Macross VF's have been Yamato products, and I've been a very satisfied customer until now. This incident does not stop me from continuing to purchase VF's from Yamato, but if and when there's a problem with a product I've got, I will talk, I will complain, and I will definitely rant.

In the interest of peace, let's just forget I even mentioned the whole thing, okay? :D I just want those replacement parts to get here ASAP, fix up the busted leg and fit in a new cockpit capsule, and finally display it on my cabinet.

BTW, safe and robust Chunky Munkey's aren't my cup of tea. I like sexy and dangerous; that's why I still buy Yamato. ;)

Besides, some Chunky Munkey's have yellow canopies, too. :lol:

any photos of the chunky monkey with yellow canopies? ;)

Good to hear you will get your replacement parts, good luck with assembling the leg ^_^

Heheh, those Chunkey Monkey yellow canopies only appear on nights when there's a full moon...or in some vintage collector's online gallery. :lol:

As for the replacement parts, HLJ replied saying they're arranging things with Yamato to get me the replacement parts. I'm still waiting for HLJ to email me when they'll be sending them to me. I'll pop them another email if I still haven't heard from them by the end of this week.

As for luck, I think I'll need it...and a whole lot of concentration, too. After reading what happened to Macross Fanboy's replacement leg, I'd better not let my mind wander for even a second while assembling that new leg.

Heheh, those Chunkey Monkey yellow canopies only appear on nights when there's a full moon...or in some vintage collector's online gallery. :lol:

As for the replacement parts, HLJ replied saying they're arranging things with Yamato to get me the replacement parts. I'm still waiting for HLJ to email me when they'll be sending them to me. I'll pop them another email if I still haven't heard from them by the end of this week.

As for luck, I think I'll need it...and a whole lot of concentration, too. After reading what happened to Macross Fanboy's replacement leg, I'd better not let my mind wander for even a second while assembling that new leg.

So, you're going to get a replacement right leg? I still haven't taken another shot at mine (no time, not trepidation).

So, you're going to get a replacement right leg? I still haven't taken another shot at mine (no time, not trepidation).

Actually, I wanted to try fixing up the -1D's leg while I was waiting for that replacement HLJ's working on sending to me. The thing is, I don't want to get super glue around places that might seal up the two parts, and make the leg hard to remove when I try to replace it. And the peg sits right between the seam line between the two halves of the leg.

HLJ said they'll be making arrangements with Yamato to get the replacements, but I'm not sure when. They said they'll get back to me as soon as they hear from Yamato. I'll send them a follow up email next week if they still don't reply by this Friday.

As for replacing the leg itself, I'll have to be real careful, as there's a certain order to things. Macross Fanboy reported that he accidentally placed the fittings that should go around the ball joint into the leg first, and that caused the ball joint to be unable to fit into the leg--that's my understanding of it, at least.

As for replacing the leg itself, I'll have to be real careful, as there's a certain order to things. Macross Fanboy reported that he accidentally placed the fittings that should go around the ball joint into the leg first, and that caused the ball joint to be unable to fit into the leg--that's my understanding of it, at least.

it's real easy once you get the hang of it. I've removed the whole leg assembly a lot of times for my 1/60 VF-1s, 1/48 VF-1J, VF-0S and even my YF-19 when i want to make the hip joint tighter (since it's a friction joint, the more you pose the legs, it'll eventually become loose esp. when the paint on the ball joint starts to chip off). once you remove the leg assembly from the two-piece block that covers the hip ball joint, it's pretty much a straightforward procedure. the two-piece block is just held by a single screw and not glued together.

I got the VF-1D transformed without breaking anything! It looked like there was a surplus of paint on the die-cast part that the pegs go into. I'll file it eventually, but this guy is staying in battroid mode for a while. What I did to avoid damaging the pegs is take a thin piece of plastic (my driver's license, in this case), slide this between the air intake and the die cast part, and put gentle pressure on it. Eventually, the pegs popped out. For reference, I mean really gentle -- it took around 5 minutes or so to get both of the pegs out.

On another note, this is an awesome valk, and a pretty sweet toy. This is the valk that started it all for me. Wooooooooooooooooooooo!

Dude, I must have those option parts. URL plz?

Unfortunately, those are custome made. T-rex toys made them, but it's wonderfest exclusive, only 20 sets were made last year, this year another 20 sets so total 40 sets have ever been sold....

DSC01784.jpg

DSC01785.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

DSC01807.jpg

DSC01809.jpg

DSC01810.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

it's real easy once you get the hang of it. I've removed the whole leg assembly a lot of times for my 1/60 VF-1s, 1/48 VF-1J, VF-0S and even my YF-19 when i want to make the hip joint tighter (since it's a friction joint, the more you pose the legs, it'll eventually become loose esp. when the paint on the ball joint starts to chip off). once you remove the leg assembly from the two-piece block that covers the hip ball joint, it's pretty much a straightforward procedure. the two-piece block is just held by a single screw and not glued together.

Thanks for the info, man. Other than that one time I had to fix up the ultra-tight chest hinge on my VF-22S Gamlin, I've always tried to avoid any "invasive exploration" of such high-end toys. I'll need all the tips and advice I can get.

I got the VF-1D transformed without breaking anything! It looked like there was a surplus of paint on the die-cast part that the pegs go into. I'll file it eventually, but this guy is staying in battroid mode for a while. What I did to avoid damaging the pegs is take a thin piece of plastic (my driver's license, in this case), slide this between the air intake and the die cast part, and put gentle pressure on it. Eventually, the pegs popped out. For reference, I mean really gentle -- it took around 5 minutes or so to get both of the pegs out.

On another note, this is an awesome valk, and a pretty sweet toy. This is the valk that started it all for me. Wooooooooooooooooooooo!

I appreciate the heads up, man! Thankfully, the left leg on my -1D is fine, and the usual angling inwards of it easily detaches it from the diecast part. It's just the right leg that's impossibly tight. Either way, I'll be filing the paint off the diecast part and maybe file at the peg of the replacement leg just a little to be safe.

As for the VF-1D as a Valk, even after this whole issue with the leg and all, I've never regretted buying it. Design-wise, it's got my favorite head sculpt among all first-gen VF's--simple, elegant, and somewhat timeless. While it's not exactly Hikaru's perennial hero-Valk, it was his very first taste of piloting a VF, and even indirectly hooked him up with the future Miss Macross. B))

I also own the VR version which in its blue custom paint is a very cool VF in its own right, but Hikaru's tan/beige one is what it's all about!

Dude, I must have those option parts. URL plz?

Same here. I've wanted that accessory ever since it was made official last year!

Unfortunately, those are custome made. T-rex toys made them, but it's wonderfest exclusive, only 20 sets were made last year, this year another 20 sets so total 40 sets have ever been sold....

are those yours? i get that these are super exclusive stuff, but how does one get a hold of these and how much?

Does anyone know if Yamato is planning on re-issuing the VF-1D for sure? The way things are looking, I might not be able to get a replacement right leg, just a refund. I'm still in the process of contacting Yamato for a replacement, but I'd much rather have a version 2.1 with the new canopy and hip-connecting mechanism.

It doesn't happen at first, more like within a month or two

I'd have to disagree. Mine broke on the first transformation. In fact, I still can't separate the intake from the die-cast main body, even with the tab snapped completely off.

Again? I have few 1/60 VFs with me and they transform just fine, and I followed the instruction to the letter!

Only on my VF-1J Hikaru and the VF-1D I encounter this problem...don't just write this off just because you do not encounter it.

I agree when you say not to panic, but that does not mean we have to ignore the problem! I lucked out when my VF-1J 'POPPED!' without anything flying off, but after reading the mishaps with other members VFs, I decided prudent is the best course and managed to transform my VF-1D without breaking anything....AND THE TAB IS DEFORMED!

And yes, for some, force was used to pull out the intake, and why is that, ya think?

Edited by boyarque

• 4 weeks later...

Yamato,s (for the most part) good engineering,can,t handle transformation of an overly tight/put together valk coming out of the factory.

For lack of better word the "deformed" tab/peg involving the air intake with the VF-1D has opened this seam line,once eventually out(with no real skills) I now have to cut and sand this tab!!

I know how to transform this correctly,incorrect transformation OR excessive force DOES NOT apply to this tab situation recently!the VF-1D,s shoulder was also cracked out of box,in what I guess would be from it being too tight to transform in the first place.(will post shoulder pics in other thread)

I'm sorry but it's really disturbing to see you making rant about your VF-1D everywhere you go in this forum. Yellowing "beige color" on body, broken tab, yellowing "rainbow coated" canopy, what's next?

The VF-1D has already been released for a year and no problem was found or pointed out except the little Hikaru won't sit right in his seat so the canopy can't close flush. For everything else, if you transform the V2 properly, there is no problem assoiciates with it

May I present you the old 1/55 Chunky Monkey? They are built do last, simple transformation and robust.

Let me get this straight. You think broken hinges on a 100 + dollar toy is okay? :rolleyes: I think you see Yamato in a Halo Effect. This is NOT acceptable QC.

Now, I love Yamato too. But they are NOT perfect. Not by a long shot.

Let's not forget this is the same company that had broken arm hinges on MANY of the 1/60's because of poor design and QC. This was a HUGE issue that plagued this entire run. <_<

This guy had a very expensive toy break on him. It's heart breaking if you go through this.

Edited by ae_productions

I just bought a VF-1D (My first 1/60 V.2). It has a somewhat yellow tint on the canopy, but for what I've read, that's just the color Yamato painted that run in and not an issue. As for the intake tabs, I just filed them down a bit eliminating the excess of plastic on the edges as a preventive measure. I'm very impressed by this toy. At first I wasn't so eager to buy the V.2's since I've owned so many VF-1 in the past, but these are something special. I'm getting as many as I can now, that's for sure.