Project A-Ko

Haven't watched Project A-ko in a way long time, but I just got a copy from a buddy of mine (Japanese with Subtitles, not the horrid Dubbed vs.). After watching it again, I'm still impressed and still love this movie, The animation, character & mecha designs, humor, "Super Powers" as well as the fan service make this one of the great Anime classics. A-Ko & B-Ko's duel with each other is still one of the best ever! B))

This was one of the 1st Anime's I saw that wasn't Macross or MSG related, still of my favorites and a reminder of good times! Wish more Anime was like this one! I know, I know C-Ko is a PITA, but still Awesome!

Anyone else out there a A-Ko fan?

post-6180-1273327138_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1273327147_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1273327154_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1273327165_thumb.jpg

Project A-Ko was one of the first anime I ever watched (might've been the first if you exclude anime that aired on US tv in the 80's). Still a favorite of mine, such a perfect parody of so many different anime genres! It had everything: fighters, giant robots, power suits, spaceships, the itano circus man it was awesome! It's been awhile sense I watched it, need to correct that soon......

Its the anime that has everything. I've watched it many, many times over the years and almost always spot something new each time. If you have the re-issued DVD with the directors commentary, its interesting to note how he remarks that he'd never be allowed to get away with some of the "homages" he did when he made it.

Its the anime that has everything. I've watched it many, many times over the years and almost always spot something new each time. If you have the re-issued DVD with the directors commentary, its interesting to note how he remarks that he'd never be allowed to get away with some of the "homages" he did when he made it.

Where can you get a good translated DVD from? I saw a few Ebay, one was $56.00 !!! I want a Subtitled version, not the English Dubbed. B))

I love Project A-ko! It does have everything. The only part I don't like is the Versus/Civil Wars, but I really like the 3 OVA sequels (called Love & Robots in the US). I wish we could get a remaster of those OVAs because the video on the DVD looks like its master barely survived an office fire.

I only ever saw the first two, and that was really "back in the day" (i.e., I watched it raw on a copy of a copy one of my friends had...and then I copied his copy)... I loved the first one, though. Part II didn't thrill me as much.

I remember one time back in the early '90s, I when I was talking to a relatively new anime fan who said he didn't really like it because he didn't get the references to the "old stuff." That made me feel quite elderly...

Where can you get a good translated DVD from? I saw a few Ebay, one was $56.00 !!! I want a Subtitled version, not the English Dubbed. B))

US Manga Corps released a DVD collection a couple of years back; it had the original Project A-Ko, plus all the OAVs (including "VS") and various extras like a short film about the making of the music. All the anime was subtitled. I don't know how easy it is to get hold of these days.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

yeah this for me was up there with Bubblegum Crisis and Gunbuster in the mid `90s, all the SF anime references were awesome, even the Pepsi can missiles instead of cans of budweiser ala DYRL. Some great dogfights, it had that super smooth and bright cell animation that I love. The creativity and nice animation in the movie reminded me of stuff like some of the Minky Momo movies, Project A-ko is like all the best bits of the `80s rolled into one. was looking for the DVD too recently, just have a VHS lying around and no player anymore.

I am a fan, yes. Being the old man that I am, I too remember watching it on VHS a loooooong time ago and falling in love with it. One of the best anime in my book (But I have a lot of best anime) ^_^

Same here, when 20/20 Video in Reseda opened, they had a small Anime/Foreign section and Project A-ko on VHS, Good times! :D

Its a great little film. Interesting ideas, stunning animation, etc. The weird mishmash of serious Sci-fi and comedy is, well, weird, but it works. I was happy to get it on DVD a few years ago.

Taksraven

This is absolutely uncanny.

I LITERALLY woke up this morning thinking about Project A-ko for some random reason. I thought it was odd that I had never actually seen the entire thing, just clips.

I have no idea why I never got around to watching it, since I know that it's one of those 1980s greats, but long forgotten in today's market.

I think the reason I remembered it was because recently I've been going to several rental shops here in Tokyo to try to dig up some old classics, like SPT Layzner which my local one in Kyoto got on DVD just before I moved out of there, but it seems like many are long gone. Even Spriggan seems to be only available on VHS, and that's from the 90s.

But I was actually going to do a search for A-ko online, and when I log on to MW, wouldn't you know it, IT'S THE FIRST TOPIC IN THE ANIME/SF FORUM.

Colour me stunned. :lol:

This is absolutely uncanny.

I LITERALLY woke up this morning thinking about Project A-ko for some random reason. I thought it was odd that I had never actually seen the entire thing, just clips.

I have no idea why I never got around to watching it, since I know that it's one of those 1980s greats, but long forgotten in today's market.

I think the reason I remembered it was because recently I've been going to several rental shops here in Tokyo to try to dig up some old classics, like SPT Layzner which my local one in Kyoto got on DVD just before I moved out of there, but it seems like many are long gone. Even Spriggan seems to be only available on VHS, and that's from the 90s.

But I was actually going to do a search for A-ko online, and when I log on to MW, wouldn't you know it, IT'S THE FIRST TOPIC IN THE ANIME/SF FORUM.

Colour me stunned. :lol:

If you don't have the DVD you can go the Veoh.com, download the movie player and watch it there. Both the Subbed & Dubbed version can be downloaded! B))

If you don't have the DVD you can go the Veoh.com, download the movie player and watch it there. Both the Subbed & Dubbed version can be downloaded! B))

Thanks! I did find it there, but I just uninstalled the movie player from my hard drive while doing some disk cleanup last week. :p I'll get around to it in the next couple of days. I see it's on Youtube, too, so I'll just watch that for the time being, and I will download the higher quality version (because the visuals are just amazing!) in the next couple of days.

I was just searching on Amazon for the DVDs, and the Japanese site has the DVDs for like 36,000 yen, while the UK site has them for like 4 pounds. What the hell. It was the same for Orguss 02, I just got the UK versions. ^_^