What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Part II is on of my favorite Anime or all time, even the english dub where the commander of the warship was voiced by Robotech's Exedore VA was great. (I should look for that on DVD, have not seen it in 20+ years now)

Yeah, it's really good, and it could have been even better if it hadn't been plagued with production troubles all throughout.

On the subject, I managed to get hold of these a couple of weeks ago: ^_^post-1318-129281330135_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it's really good, and it could have been even better if it hadn't been plagued with production troubles all throughout.

On the subject, I managed to get hold of these a couple of weeks ago: ^_^post-1318-129281330135_thumb.jpg

Nice cels!!

I've never seen part 3, but considering how much more I like Part II, versus the first part I would have to say I have no complaints about the change in art style or directors...

Part II is on of my favorite Anime or all time, even the english dub where the commander of the warship was voiced by Robotech's Exedore VA was great. (I should look for that on DVD, have not seen it in 20+ years now)

Part II is also one of my favorites, being the show that turned me into an anime fan.

Just finished Katanagatari last night. What an amazing last episode. It turned an OK, if otherwise fun but forgettable series into something great. I'm still going over it in my brain and may end up re-watching it real soon.

Just finished Katanagatari last night. What an amazing last episode. It turned an OK, if otherwise fun but forgettable series into something great. I'm still going over it in my brain and may end up re-watching it real soon.

Long death scene is long. A tad sad that Togame's feelings were part of her schemes right from the very beginning.:(

I knew that this show was destined for great things, and I'm glad it turned out pretty epic.

Just finished watching Eve no Jikan. It deals with the relationship between humans and androids(not smartphone type) in the future, similar to Chobits but with more ethical thought.

No action, but mostly drama and thought provoking situations. However, it is quite enjoyable.

I thought it was a great series as well.

good to see I'm not alone in loving Squid Girl. It's quite hilarious at times, and the last segment of episode five just moves you to tears. Also been liking The World God Only Knows, Arakawa 2, and Oremo. Been a busy season. Even tried Iron Man for a bit.

Does anyone here like "Lupin III"? It was one of my favourite shows but I only recently started re-watching it now after many, many years. Anyone have favourite movies, specials, episodes they would like to share opinions on?

For anyone who has never seen it, you owe it to yourselves as aficionados of Japanese animation to at least check out the first three movies:

"Lupin vs. Clone" aka "The Secret of Mamo" (1979)

"The Castle of Cagliostro" (1980)

"The Legend of the Gold of Babylon" (1985)

They are all quite different in style and mood, so check them all out, I guarantee you'll like at least one.

Does anyone here like "Lupin III"? It was one of my favourite shows but I only recently started re-watching it now after many, many years. Anyone have favourite movies, specials, episodes they would like to share opinions on?

For anyone who has never seen it, you owe it to yourselves as aficionados of Japanese animation to at least check out the first three movies:

They are all quite different in style and mood, so check them all out, I guarantee you'll like at least one.

Cagliostro, I've seen many times. Babylon, on the other hand...man, that takes me back. I had a VHS copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy (raw, of course) back in the mid-80's...I watched it once, and liked it, but ended up taping over it with a bunch of Saint Seiya episodes or something equally silly...

Cagliostro, I've seen many times. Babylon, on the other hand...man, that takes me back. I had a VHS copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy (raw, of course) back in the mid-80's...I watched it once, and liked it, but ended up taping over it with a bunch of Saint Seiya episodes or something equally silly...

Hey, Saint Seiya was pretty cool for it's time! :p

Cagliostro is one of my favorite films period. I regularly watched Lupin back when it was coming on Cartoon Network, but Cagliostro is the only thing I own. I'll try to find the two films listed here; if they're anything like Cagliostro I'll gladly update my favorite films list.

Cagliostro is one of my favorite films period. I regularly watched Lupin back when it was coming on Cartoon Network, but Cagliostro is the only thing I own. I'll try to find the two films listed here; if they're anything like Cagliostro I'll gladly update my favorite films list.

Cagliostro isn't really like other Lupin movies/specials. Miyazaki kind of fudged with Lupin's personality in that one, which is why Monkey Punch and a lot of the hard core Lupin fans didn't like it.

Vs. The Clone is probably my favorite of the movies/specials. Green Vs. Red was fun in a trippy meta- sort of way. Probably not recommended for someone who isn't familiar with Lupin though. The others are rather hit or miss. I do recommend watching the original '71 TV series if you get a chance.

Cagliostro isn't really like other Lupin movies/specials. Miyazaki kind of fudged with Lupin's personality in that one, which is why Monkey Punch and a lot of the hard core Lupin fans didn't like it.

Vs. The Clone is probably my favorite of the movies/specials. Green Vs. Red was fun in a trippy meta- sort of way. Probably not recommended for someone who isn't familiar with Lupin though. The others are rather hit or miss. I do recommend watching the original '71 TV series if you get a chance.

Yeah, I agree with this. Cagliostro is definitely a very good and beautiful film, but for me it's the weakest of the Lupin productions by virtue of how its style jars with the others, which are wackier and frantic. Plus the characters in it are all lovey-dovey, when they have already been established and more widely recognized as hard-liquor-drinking, chain-smoking mutual backstabbers.

The only other Lupin that I can think of which is similar to Cagliostro in terms of style and characterization is probably "The Fuma Conspiracy" or "Plot of the Fuma Clan", so check it out if you liked Cagliostro. It's set in Japan, so there's some really cool Goemon action in that one, too, to make up for the lack of it in Cagliostro. For some reason, they decided to change the entire voice cast for that one, though.

My favourite is probably "Gold of Babylon", just because of the memories I have of it back in the mid-nineties. I watched the hell out of that tape, crappy subtitles and all. I listened to the soundtrack yesterday and it is fantastic, like all of Yuji Ono's jazz funk stuff.

Oh yeah, Green vs. Red. I remember there is actually a thread on that in this forum, but no replies. :p I understand what they were trying to do with the whole "deconstruction" of Lupin thing, but at the end of the day it just wasn't entertaining for me. Bleah.

Edited by Renato

Haven't watched the finale, .... but I want an Ayase route :p .

It would seem the various ovas would be different routes, like alternate versions of ep 12. Cause ep 12 hints on the various possible routes that Kyousuke could take but didn't due to the current Kirino ending.

E.g.:

Kuroneko hinting that it won't be "nii-san" she'll be calling him soon. (wow the confidence). Also the tsun tsun Ayase encounter which could very well be an opening to the Ayase route.

Anyone know where I can stream Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo and the Gold of Babylon? The torrents I found haven't moved for a couple of days.

Also, just watched Black Rock Shooter. Definitely interesting, was wondering at first what was going on since the show switched back and forth between two girls at school and two demon girls fighting, but figured it out towards the end. Anyone know more about the background of the show? Tried looking it up, but only found info about what happens in the show itself.

Anyone know where I can stream Lupin III: The Secret of Mamo and the Gold of Babylon? The torrents I found haven't moved for a couple of days.

Also, just watched Black Rock Shooter. Definitely interesting, was wondering at first what was going on since the show switched back and forth between two girls at school and two demon girls fighting, but figured it out towards the end. Anyone know more about the background of the show? Tried looking it up, but only found info about what happens in the show itself.

There IS no background.

Simple chronology:

1.) A guy named huke drew a single image of a character called Black Rock Shooter on deviantart or pixy or something.

2.) ryo, a Hatsune Miku vocaloid composer of supercell fame, saw image and liked it, so he made a song out of it.

3.) A flash music video with the song and thus the BRS phenomena sky rocketed.

4.) More images of BRS and characters supposedly from the same universe are produced by huke.

4.) Merchandise by Good Smile Company

5.) Anime

6.) Video game

That said, BRS had little to no background so the anime staff had the freedom to interpret BRS in any way they saw fit. Didn't turn out that well IMHO. The PSP video game for example has a completely other take on BRS which takes place in a post apocalyptic earth.

I watched Mamo with this recently:

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6535115/J_Lupin_III_Secret_of_Mamo_Part_1

I spotted an English dub on Megavideo too.

Not sure about Babylon, but I'm sure there are Rapidshares and stuff around. Or you could track down the DVD.

I don't even know what to say about that ending. 100% hilarious, totally fitting. I hope there actually is a second season of Panty & Stocking

Brief & Chuck.

The demon sisters look completely dumbfounded at what happened. They were like deer in front of headlights.

Just finished Highschool of the Dead. Pretty darn good series. Kohta Hirano, the dude with the glass, is the embodiment of Lockon Stratos...haha. He can snipe anything with a gun. But I wish there was more than 12 epsiodes. Season Two??

Just finished Highschool of the Dead. Pretty darn good series. Kohta Hirano, the dude with the glass, is the embodiment of Lockon Stratos...haha. He can snipe anything with a gun. But I wish there was more than 12 epsiodes. Season Two??

A lot of hot blooded males are begging for that to happen!

As far as I know there's an OVA coming out at some point this year. As for a second season, well the manga is ongoing so I guess they can either wait till the manga is finished or do a "Gantz" and give the anime it's own direction and resolution to the story.

The Winter 2011 lineup:

Link

The only thing that really catches my eye at the moment is Fractale .

yeah, Fractale does seem like it might be the best of the bunch. Having said, I'll take a look at Wolverine just because he was my one of my favourite X-Men and I don't like Bryan Singer & Hugh Jackman's version of him, so here's to hoping that Madhouse does a better job of portraying him.

Finished with Maison Ikkoku. Man, that was a long one but it was well worth the 96 episodes. The character designs and animation are a bit dated, but the story and dialogue are so good that it more than makes up for it. Definitely ranks in my book as one of the finest love stories I've seen not only in anime but in any media. Couple of episodes toward the end almost brought out the man tears.

One more interesting note on Highschool of the Dead...

The voice of Saya Takagi's mother(Yuriko) should be familiar to anyone who has seen Bubblegum Crisis(original version). If she sounds like Sylia Stingray, that's because they are voiced by the same actress, Yoshiko Sakakibara.

I was waiting for Saya's mom to breakout the Knight Sabers' Hardsuit.

I've been watch Frontier again, watch two episodes while exercising on the rowing machine - I decided I could only watch while exercising and it works great for getting myself back in shape.

I've noticed that I missed a bunch of "Foreshadowing" moments when originally watching the show - not just because I was dense. Frontier takes a lot of the Anime conventions and turns them into plot points, an example is the Vajra starting an attack when Ranka starts singing the first time, or Alto "hearing" Ranka and Sheryl singing while wearing the Sheryl's ear ring. I didn't catch the significance of it the first time through since I was just thinking "more Anime silliness" (Well, not exactly silliness, just can't think of a better term).

Also started watching LOGH, thanks to the other thread here pointing it out. After browsing the first episode it looks interesting enough to take the plunge.

Edited by Dynaman

Also started watching LOGH, thanks to the other thread here pointing it out. After browsing the first episode it looks interesting enough to take the plunge.

You're not gonna regret it one bit. It's that good a story. You will however have to spend a long time in watching the whole thing (110 episodes!).

Just finished Production IG's biographical documentary of Miyamoto Musashi and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was nice to see some actual analysis and not just regurgitation of facts (or more likely the myths built up about the guy). My only complaint is that they laid the blame for mythologizing of Miyamoto solely at the feet of military necessity stemming from the Russo-Japanese war, and avoided mentioning the building fascist system of the early Showa era, which to me seems the bigger culprit. Still, the fact that they state that bushido is a fairly modern notion is itself more than I was expecting.

Tonight, I'll be watching the Loups Garous anime. Having read the novel, I'm curious on how it got adapted.

Edited by JELEINEN