Halo Legos?

Vostok 7

Well, OK, not LEGO legos because that will never happen, but Mega Bloks picked up the HALO license and is now making crappy-LEGO-ish HALO goodness.

http://www.megabrands.com/en/kids/halowars/collection.php

I picked up a couple (the Hornet and the Scorpion) and the figures are super cool and the designs are very accurate to the games, but in true MEGA BLOKS fashion the bricks rarely fit together properly, suffer from poor build engineering, like to pop apart constantly, and some of the long thin parts come pre-bent from the factory. If you don't mind supergluing them together when you're done, they aren't half bad, though. The Scorpion and the Warthog have working suspension. They're planning on making much more stuff from the Haloverse and considering how prevalent HALO LEGO MOCs are on the internet, they'll probably sell these pretty well. Hopefully they'll get a Pelican out the door soon!

If you didn't know, Mega Bloks also makes Gundam legos in Japan. I have a Zaku II! Same problem with the parts, but it sure does look cool to have a giant Zaku "lego".

Vostok 7

If they were lego's this would be pretty awesome, but since it's mega bloks, its not. If a parent buy's they're kids mega bloks, it's a good sign they don't love their children.

Edited by anime52k8

It just sucks that they can't get their act together. They make some cool stuff, especially now with these HALO sets. If only they could figure out how to engineer sets so they don't fall apart and make pieces that actually fit together properly. I mean, for some sets their price per piece is almost as much as LEGO's, it couldn't be that hard to use a better plastic and tighten up the tolerances a little! The bad engineering wouldn't be so bad if the pieces weren't either too loose or too tight.

Vostok 7

• 11 months later...

Just finished the new Pelican set today. As crappy as some of the other kits are, the Pelican is awesome. Same issues with the pieces, but they threw enough pieces and cleaned up the engineering enough that everything locks together properly and doesn't fall apart when you touch it. It's big enough to hold 4 seated Spartans and a few more standing, as well as a weapons rack and when the loading ramp is down you can mount a machine gun (both are available from a cheap single Red Spartan you can buy, there's also a 4-pack of Spartans/Marines you can buy that have plenty of weapons and can fill out your compliment).

Dunno if it can carry the Warthog or Scorpion, I doubt it can, maybe the Warthog but I don't have one yet to try. It may also be able to hold a Mongoose inside but I don't have one of those yet either. Either way, at $60 and nearly a thousand pieces, the Pelican is well worth it.

http://www.megabloks.com/Shop/MEGA_Bloks/Halo/Halo_UNSC_Pelican_Dropship_96824/

Some of the other new sets:

http://www.megabloks.com/Shop/MEGA_Bloks/Halo/Covenant_Wraith_96832/

http://www.megabloks.com/Shop/MEGA_Bloks/Halo/UNSC_Shortsword_96835/

http://www.megabloks.com/Shop/MEGA_Bloks/Halo/UNSC_Mongoose_96849/

Mega Blocks should offer the instructions on their website that you could purchase and download. That way we can use our Legos to build their nifty designs with superior materials.

Mega Blocks should offer the instructions on their website that you could purchase and download. That way we can use our Legos to build their nifty designs with superior materials.

That'd be great and all, but they use a lot of pieces that couldn't even be fudged with proper LEGOs. They have no qualms about popping out one-off pieces to make a certain design work, unlike LEGO.

(...) They have no qualms about popping out one-off pieces to make a certain design work, unlike LEGO.

Except that, the last time I checked, Lego has been doing a lot of that in recent years as well. Not as much, of course, but they produce far more than basic building blocks these days. A lot of their recent sets have been gimmicky play sets instead of building block sets.

Except that, the last time I checked, Lego has been doing a lot of that in recent years as well. Not as much, of course, but they produce far more than basic building blocks these days. A lot of their recent sets have been gimmicky play sets instead of building block sets.

Yes, LEGO has been making a lot of specialized pieces lately, but after they introduce them in a couple sets you start seeing them everywhere in their sets.

Mega Bloks will make pieces for sets that are used in only one of their sets.

LEGO sets were pretty bad a few years ago, but since 2008 they've really been improving things, trying to get back to the "old way" but still with modern improvements.

LEGO sets were pretty bad a few years ago, but since 2008 they've really been improving things, trying to get back to the "old way" but still with modern improvements.

People on Lego boards might disagree with you. A lot of bitching about peices being made in China now going around :p