Shrek Forever After

Shrek and Shrek 2 proved to everyone that DreamWorks Animation can go toe-to-toe with Pixar Entertainment. Unfortunately, Shrek the Third was a critical failure, despite the fact that it still broke box-office records worldwide.

Now, DreamWorks is giving the franchise another try with Shrek Forever After, set for release on May 21, 2010. Majority of the cast from the last film will reprise their roles. John Lithgow returns as Lord Farquaad from the first film. Joining the cast will be Walt Dohrn as Rumplestiltskin.

So who in here will be looking forward to this film?

Shrek Forever After on IMDb

Edited by areaseven

^^So what name should they call Charlie Murphy's character?

Jack (the Ass)?

Darkness?

Leroy Smith?

Love the first film, thought the second one was okay (got a kick out of Fiona busting out the Shoryuken), and never bothered to watch the third one.

Love the first film, thought the second one was okay (got a kick out of Fiona busting out the Shoryuken), and never bothered to watch the third one.

My sentiments exactly. Third films in series are often problematic anyway....

Taksraven

Shrek and Shrek 2 proved to everyone that DreamWorks Animation can go toe-to-toe with Pixar Entertainment. Unfortunately, Shrek the Third was a critical failure, despite the fact that it still broke box-office records worldwide.

Now, DreamWorks is giving the franchise another try with Shrek Forever After, set for release on May 21, 2010. Majority of the cast from the last film will reprise their roles. John Lithgow returns as Lord Farquaad from the first film. Joining the cast will be Paul McCartney as Rumplestiltskin and Usher in an as-yet-revealed role.

So who in here will be looking forward to this film?

Shrek Forever After on IMDb

Good to hear John's back. I love his height-challenged Lord Farquaard. And more importantly, I wonder how Dreamworks gonna resurrect him? I mean, the last time we saw him, he was in the stomach of Donkey's dragon of a wife. :lol:

I don't know. I loved the first film and, to a lesser degree, the second. The third one unfortunately domesticated Shrek to the point of no return. He's got an entire family now, and a trove of friends, so the whole 'misunderstood ogre' thing doesn't work anymore. No matter what happens to him, he has his wife and kids to go home to and since a family-orientated series like this would never kill off the wife or kids, Shrek effectively loses much of the persona that made him interesting to begin with. I liked Shrek best when he was misunderstood and actually had to struggle. Now he's just another bland 'hero' getting into adventures and singing a party song at the end of each film.

I don't know. I loved the first film and, to a lesser degree, the second. The third one unfortunately domesticated Shrek to the point of no return. He's got an entire family now, and a trove of friends, so the whole 'misunderstood ogre' thing doesn't work anymore. No matter what happens to him, he has his wife and kids to go home to and since a family-orientated series like this would never kill off the wife or kids, Shrek effectively loses much of the persona that made him interesting to begin with. I liked Shrek best when he was misunderstood and actually had to struggle. Now he's just another bland 'hero' getting into adventures and singing a party song at the end of each film.

That's why Kubrick did not film the final chapter of A Clockwork Orange.

Taksraven

Good to hear John's back. I love his height-challenged Lord Farquaard. And more importantly, I wonder how Dreamworks gonna resurrect him? I mean, the last time we saw him, he was in the stomach of Donkey's dragon of a wife. :lol:

Somehow, I see Farquaad appearing in a flashback scene prior to his confrontation with Shrek. He may also have some background relation with Rumplestiltskin.

That's why Kubrick did not film the final chapter of A Clockwork Orange.

Taksraven

And which is why part of me likes the film better than the book. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the book, but I read it after seeing the movie and once I got to that last chapter...well, I just sort of frowned my way through it.

I'm not expecting Shrek 4 to be horrible, I just think it's going to be very hard to make him interesting as a character again. I'd say they could do a prequel but that would have to exclude Donkey, and I think people would riot in the streets if there was a Shrek movie without Donkey (although I would welcome it).

One thing I am hoping for is a new line of toys. All I want is one really good Shrek figure with a great sculpt, great paint, great articulation, and not made from the petrified alien spunk that the McFarlane ones were made from.

Will probably see it with girlfriend + step daughter. I end up seeing EVERY film like this because it's a family film - perfect for all three of us to see together.

Looked at and watched in those settings; it's hard to be too harshly critical of Shrek III and the like because you're just there to have fun with the wife and kids.

and eat nachos.

at least I eat nachos instead of pop corn.

I love nachos at the movies.

Pete

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just came back from watching this on IMAX and I must say it's much, much better than the third film. Granted, it's not as memorable as the first two, but it brought a fitting end to the franchise with its take on the "reset button" subplot.

Probably the weakest aspect of the film is the Pied Piper, who just looks like he was added at the last minute, as he really doesn't so anything worth mentioning. Also, a lot of key characters such as Gingy and the Three Blind Mice have significantly smaller roles.

Though initially rumored to appear during production, Lord Farquaad is not in this film. King Harold (played by John Cleese) croaked on the third film, but as flashbacks play a huge factor in this film, he's in this one. Arthur, thankfully, is not here, given that he was one of the reasons the third film sucked badly.

As far as the animation goes, it's much better than the third, but there isn't anything new about it. The effects are very good in 3D, though.

So if you were pissed off by Shrek the Third, this film will make up for the lost time.

1 was ok. 2 pretty much jumped the shark somewhere in there. Never saw 3. Extremely unlikely I'll see this one.