Warning: VF-100s quality control (and aftersales service in HK)

regult

Hi there everybody,

I purchased the latest VF-25G from the VF-100s series in Hong Kong yesterday, and I was appaled when I opened the box at home and discovered that the sniper rifle's "open" section was actually broken AND glued back in, right out of the box!!!

I am really quite appaled at the ridiculous situation, the VF-25G was out only 2 days ago, so I don't think this is a used and repacked item, so it was most likely broken right from the start somewhere in China. It is very difficult if not impossible to tell the rifle's front section was glued back w/o opening the box and taking away the upper layers of the complicated packaging.

The shop I got it from is "Toys for Life" in the Oriental 188 building in Wanchai (250 and 242, second floor), the shop owners said on the phone they had run out of stock and could not replace the item 3 hours after my purchase. At the time, there were at least 4 copies in the shelves, so either they sell like hotcakes (unlikely given the high price) or the owner is a liar and just does not want to bother doing some after sales service).

I hope this does not happen to anyone.

post-9400-1243837591_thumb.jpg

post-9400-1243837734_thumb.jpg

post-9400-1243837755_thumb.jpg

post-9400-1243837788_thumb.jpg

post-9400-1243837805_thumb.jpg

post-9400-1243837841_thumb.jpg

Well my 25F was sticky taped 3 times, on the outside, and inside on the plastic trays. This explains alot. Anyone else with their VF25 wrapped in sticky tape?

I feel for you regult, these toys just ain't worth the price tag and hype due to the pathetic QC and finishing. :(

I am sorry to hear that, Regult. It sucks to have bought a new toy and found something wrong with it.

I dont know anything about these valks but is it possible that is how it is manufactured?

But then I am wondering too. Given Bandai's latest product quality, it is not entirely impossible that the gun is meant to be just glued (uglily) together.

Anyone else with a 25G would like to share?

Edited by ff95gj

Will try to pick up one when I finish work at 6pm. I'll see if I can find a good price in the Oriental 188 Center.

Had a quick look in Tai Yuen Street in Wanchai after I finished my afternoon meeting, but only one shop had it and they were asking for HK$442!!!!!! No friggin way!

Graham

Yeah, was there too yesterday, that's why when I saw the thing for HK$ 295 I thought "what the heck, I am getting the G for a (eventually) complete skull squad"...then examined 3 copies in their boxes until I settled for the one I thought was OK, until I got home and saw the beautiful "gluemanship".

On a positive note, after an unnecessarily time wasting "discussion" with the shop owner, she finally agreed to reluctantly exchange the crappy toy for a new one, not without complaining that she cannot get a replacement from her supplier, and hinting it was my fault (WTF?) that I didn't do QC correctly. This time I asked her to at least take the trays out of the box so I could see it. I examined the thing without taking it out completely because it really is mummified in tape and plastic.

As ff95gj guessed, the sniper rifle IS actually assembled like that, 2 pieces stuck together... only the first one I had was horribly glued and misaligned as you can see from the pictures in the first post. I really don't get why Bandai can make such a piece of overpriced toy with such crappy QC. Ultimately, I am the one to blame, for liking macross stuff and bothering to buy the VF-100s!

(PS. Opened the box at home now, and the sucker has a spuerglue smudge on the right foot...I will sand that with 2000-grit paper and forget about this nightmare)

Edited by regult

I kinda fault Bandai more than China QC on this one. To approve a design where the parts are glued together with no alignment pins or anything will inevitably lead to shoddy alignments or excess glue runoffs.

Bandai has become Microsoft of the toy industry...

From now on, we will learn how to accept sloppy products and get accustomed to it.

"There's this problem here - but hey, it has happened on this one and that one before. Why the fuss? "

An example that I regard to be unacceptable, but people told me "it's been done before", is that the DX is oily with fingerprints all over when it's mint out of the box.

Some new "standards" I can think of is, different shades of blue/green on VF-25G and RVF-25.

And hey, they already delivered "service patch" for the DX VF-25S super parts.

Edited by ff95gj

Yeah, was there too yesterday, that's why when I saw the thing for HK$ 295 I thought "what the heck, I am getting the G for a (eventually) complete skull squad"...then examined 3 copies in their boxes until I settled for the one I thought was OK, until I got home and saw the beautiful "gluemanship".

On a positive note, after an unnecessarily time wasting "discussion" with the shop owner, she finally agreed to reluctantly exchange the crappy toy for a new one, not without complaining that she cannot get a replacement from her supplier, and hinting it was my fault (WTF?) that I didn't do QC correctly. This time I asked her to at least take the trays out of the box so I could see it. I examined the thing without taking it out completely because it really is mummified in tape and plastic.

As ff95gj guessed, the sniper rifle IS actually assembled like that, 2 pieces stuck together... only the first one I had was horribly glued and misaligned as you can see from the pictures in the first post. I really don't get why Bandai can make such a piece of overpriced toy with such crappy QC. Ultimately, I am the one to blame, for liking macross stuff and bothering to buy the VF-100s!

(PS. Opened the box at home now, and the sucker has a spuerglue smudge on the right foot...I will sand that with 2000-grit paper and forget about this nightmare)

Consider yourself lucky, and Hong Kong's toy shops aftersales services ain't that bad, since they allow you to exchange. In Singapore where I live, one can forget about aftersales services after you fork out the cash and walk out the door. That's why I stop buying locally for almost 5 years now. I only buy online straight from Japan (HLJ, amiami, etc), where the online aftersale services are infinitely better than Singapore's ZERO aftersales services.

Anyway, that's 1 reason why I stopped buying robot toys and switched to fixed posed figures. Even the ultra expensive SHE's ones (I had a perfect transform getter robo and a gunbuster) aren't problem free either. <_<

same as MS, Bandai won't stop doing what they're doing and will remain the top dog coz everybody keeps lapping up whatever they churn out... just the way it is...

Strange thing is that Bandai's subsidiaries (Megahouse, Alter, AlphaMax) can release excellent quality figures at very attractive pricing. So what gives? Sometimes I don't understand their company culture at all - the subsidiaries can do better than the group company. :blink::wacko:

And not all Bandai products are bad - their model kits are excellent too. I have their Yamato 1/350 scale and a few 1/60 perfect grade Zakus and Gouf. These are great.

So like I said, I don't understand why the quality differs so greatly even in the same company...

Strange thing is that Bandai's subsidiaries (Megahouse, Alter, AlphaMax) can release excellent quality figures at very attractive pricing. So what gives? Sometimes I don't understand their company culture at all - the subsidiaries can do better than the group company. :blink::wacko:

And not all Bandai products are bad - their model kits are excellent too. I have their Yamato 1/350 scale and a few 1/60 perfect grade Zakus and Gouf. These are great.

So like I said, I don't understand why the quality differs so greatly even in the same company...

I think it all comes down to the China factory that they outsource to. For this VF100s line, they must be using the same China factory that made the GFF line. QC on the GFF line was all over the place and this VF100s line is exhibiting some similar issues. :(

A different factory must be making their superb SoC toys.

I believe all their plastic models are made directly in Japan so thus their quality is high.

Most toys are made in China nowadays, the good ones and the bad ones. The problem lies in the QC of the particular factory - and particularly the Bandai personnel who look over the manufacturing - but not just in "China" factory. I may be a bit sensitive on this (yes I am a Chinese); but it doesn't feel right when the DX scale doesn't look good, it's because it's out-sourced to a Chinese design team; the production quality of VF100 is bad, because it's made by a Chinese factory. In terms of business, it's Bandai's responsibility to ensure things are right. If those people/ factories are not up to the job, why still hire them? Either Bandai doesn't do its job in QC, or they can pay much less (and more profit margin).

I won't argue if it's maufactured in Japan, the quality would be superior overally - but we know that won't happen. Not until we are willing to pay double (or more) for 10% of improvement (or less for already well-QC products). China is behind in terms of technology... But making toys? They make millions a year I suppose. I don't believe if you pay the right amount but can't get SoC qality. (and I think we end-users are paying SoC money for the VF100 and DX!)

As plastic models do not involve labours to assemble, that is a different story.

I think it all comes down to the China factory that they outsource to. For this VF100s line, they must be using the same China factory that made the GFF line. QC on the GFF line was all over the place and this VF100s line is exhibiting some similar issues. :(

A different factory must be making their superb SoC toys.

I believe all their plastic models are made directly in Japan so thus their quality is high.

Most toys are made in China nowadays, the good ones and the bad ones. The problem lies in the QC of the particular factory - and particularly the Bandai personnel who look over the manufacturing - but not just in "China" factory. I may be a bit sensitive on this (yes I am a Chinese); but it doesn't feel right when the DX scale doesn't look good, it's because it's out-sourced to a Chinese design team; the production quality of VF100 is bad, because it's made by a Chinese factory. In terms of business, it's Bandai's responsibility to ensure things are right. If those people/ factories are not up to the job, why still hire them? Either Bandai doesn't do its job in QC, or they can pay much less (and more profit margin).

You have a point. But to be honest we really don't know the reality of the situation. Who knows maybe it's just one lazy ass manager on the floor they can't fire. Maybe that factory was the only one available at the time. [shrug]

All I can do is keep supporting the line despite the issues and hope that improvements continue to be made. Because at the base level, I really like the idea for this line (all the VFs at 1/100 scale).

There's some hope since Bandai seems to be listening as they've made a minor adjustment or two from Alto to Ozma.

Plamo and assembled toys are two different stories: injection plastic runners don't need much human intervention during manufacturing and packaging. toys need to be sorted (parts), painted, assembled, packaged, mummified in tape and packaged. There is a lot of human intervention, and management is essential, I agree with ff95gj: it's not where you get the thing done, it is HOW you get that done. There are many high-quality toys manufactured probably next door to crap, and all go under the Bandai brand (shrug), what bothers me most is the carelessness gone into design (shortcuts and "cheating" by recycling the DX1/60 mold for the 1/100, using the 1/72 sniper rifle for the 1/100!!!!), it's just a lack of respect towards the collector.

And for those of us in Hong Kong, relatively low prices are definitely welcome, but remember to get a receipt for your purchase, and do ask "What happens if I discover it's a QC-defective crap later at home, can you replace that with a good one?" I will, and if negative, I will put the thing down and walk away.

Vifam7: there seems to be a regression to the "F" loseness on the "G", so I am afraid the "improvements" on the "S" were merely accidental.

Did I already say the sniper rifle is exactly the same as the 1/72 plamo (except the tiny 1/100 handle)?? :p the gun is as tall as the "G"!! :o

Vifam7: there seems to be a regression to the "F" loseness on the "G", so I am afraid the "improvements" on the "S" were merely accidental.

Crap. Oh well, I can fix a bit of looseness with a bit of glue. At least the intakes haven't regressed to Alto style.

Did I already say the sniper rifle is exactly the same as the 1/72 plamo (except the tiny 1/100 handle)?? :p the gun is as tall as the "G"!! :o

I think I've gotten used to oversize guns. Esp. after Toynami's VF-1, Yamato's VF-11 GNU, and Bandai's v2.0 RX-78. X)

Oh well, better a bit oversize than one too small. If it was too small, I'd have to pretend Mikhail was Golgo 13. :D

Edited by Vifam7

All I can do is keep supporting the line despite the issues and hope that improvements continue to be made. Because at the base level, I really like the idea for this line (all the VFs at 1/100 scale).

I am a hopeless fool. I'll keep buying more for sure. :ph34r:

I was very disappointed with my one venture into the VF100 line and am boycotting the rest of them; well the VF-1 & VF-25 for sure. I'm will to re-evaluate their future releases, after reading about other peoples' experiences here first.

IMO it's unfair to blame "Chinese QC" on this. Bandai has made a call to get their toys made somewhere, it doesn't matter were. If there's a QC problem it's Bandai's fault. They sell the toy, they chose to get it made there; IMO Bandai are solely responsible for all QC so if I have an issue it's with Bandai, we shouldn't be making excuses for them. If they don't take care of their reputation then it will suffer long term and with the recession hitting I'm having to choose to skip some Macross stuff. Things like this from Bandai only make it easier to choose what to skip. Thanks Bandai! You're helping me save money! :lol:

People need to keep their money in their pockets when toy lines have problems; it's the only way Bandai will take note.

Like people here have said already (it's probably a difference part of the business) but injection kits from Bandai are awesome! I love their VF-25 kits and recently become a big Gundam kit fan. We know Bandai can produce the good stuff, but they just need to get their act together on this VF100 stuff.

How do you shop with amiami who only ship inside Japan? Is there a proxy company that handle returning toy too?

So far, I've yet gotten a wrong toy order or damaged package from AmiAmi. Similarly for HLJ and Hobbysearch.

But I only buy from them if I can't get the items from HLJ or Hobbysearch, like the alternate color schemes for Griffon Queen Blade's figures. Like you said, to buy from Amiami, I needs a proxy if one is outside Japan. So it's more expensive.

On 1 occasion, a blade was missing from my Witchblade figure, and one of her spikes was broken. HLJ promptly sent me the replacement parts with my next order. ^_^

NOTE: I've not bought anymore mecha stuff since my bad experiences with locally purchased Yamato VFs about 5 years ago. That's also the time when I switched to figures, and online shopping. So, unfortunately, I cannot tell how good or bad the aftersales service will be for defective mecha products from these online shops.

So I got my 2 copies of the VF100's VF-25G. Quickly opened and checked the sniper rifle.

Thankfully mine wasn't as badly made as regult's. However, I now know what happened to his sniper rifle.

I noticed one of mine wasn't connected PERFECTLY straight at the point regult had issue with. So I thought I'd lightly bend it... "snap"... yup, broke clean in half right at that point. I can see this happening at the factory too. In my case, no biggie, a bit of superglue applied with a toothpick and it's back together (and now nice and straight too).