KAI and MAXL: what do they stand for?

In before being moved to the newbie question section.

Kai means Custom. VF-19 Kai, VT-17 Kai, and VF-11MAXL Kai means they are all customised versions of of VF's.

There is a regular military version of VF-11MAXL which is a VF-11 variant delta wing and engines from the VF-16. We haven't seen the VF-16 either so don't ask.

In before being moved to the newbie question section.

Kai means Custom. VF-19 Kai, VT-17 Kai, and VF-11MAXL Kai means they are all customised versions of of VF's.

There is a regular military version of VF-11MAXL which is a VF-11 variant delta wing and engines from the VF-16. We haven't seen the VF-16 either so don't ask.

in the context of aircraft Kai just means Modified or augmented. For instance the F-4J kai in real lifejapanese service which are F-4J's with modernized electronics.

in Macross zero they had F-14A+ kai jets. these were F-14A+'s with presumably OTech upgrades.

Kai is a designator for a non-standard unit. It basically means "This is not stock; it is not exactly as it was when it was built."

As for MAXL, I don't think anyone knows. It's probably just a play on Max J and the fact that MAXL sounds like something a testplane would be named. Eg F-16VISTA, F-15ACTIVE, and F-18HARV.

Kai is a designator for a non-standard unit. It basically means "This is not stock; it is not exactly as it was when it was built."

(...)

Uhm, no.

Kai = 改

Which means exactly what Redwolf posted a full two hours before your post:

Anime52k8 is also correct: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=752538

Edited by sketchley

Uhm, no.

Kai = 改

Which means exactly what Redwolf posted a full two hours before your post:

Anime52k8 is also correct: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=752538

Oh, shut your God damned mouth, Sketchley. Why must you ALWAYS single me out? Are you some epic troll?

Every time I make some EXTREMELY minor mistake or something (And a modified plane is a custom plane is a non-stock plane, so I'm correct in this statement), you've gotta pull a bunch of bull on me.

Oh, shut your God damned mouth, Sketchley. Why must you ALWAYS single me out? Are you some epic troll?

Every time I make some EXTREMELY minor mistake or something (And a modified plane is a custom plane is a non-stock plane, so I'm correct in this statement), you've gotta pull a bunch of bull on me.

I'm going to back him up on this one, you were wrong WELL after correct information had been posted. sorry.

Mod-speak: Everyone shut up, and anyways:

MAXL is obviously derived from XL, the F-16XL. The F-16XL is a delta-winged version of the F-16. The VF-11MAXL is a delta-winged version of the VF-11.

I'm going to back him up on this one, you were wrong WELL after correct information had been posted. sorry.

Okay, how is it wrong? In the context it's used, it's a designator for a non-standard unit!

I'm trying not to pick words here. If you wanna pick on me for not being fluent in Japanese, then I'm sorry for you. If that's all you can think of to make you feel smarter (Talking to Sketchley, here), you must live a very sad life.

Seriously, man. A custom is a non-standard. It's modified. To me, they're all synonyms.

Everyone shut up, and anyways:

MAXL is obviously derived from XL, the F-16XL. The F-16XL is a delta-winged version of the F-16. The VF-11MAXL is a delta-winged version of the VF-11.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. "Great Book of Modern Warplanes" was not available to me at the moment (Binding is busted), so I couldn't reference it.

Public Service Announcement: My signature is law!