Macross VF0S Weathering Zpezial

mr.chogokin

Made with permanent markers and washed away, so I get a weathering that doesn't chip, doesn't smudge. Can be transformed repeatedly to my heart's content and the dirty streaks will still remain.

My first attempt at weathering with grey copic markers.

Need to check if the I made it too dirty or not. Let me know thanks!

post-7892-1242728157_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1242728234_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1242728317_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1242728360_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1242728449_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1242728511_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1242728579_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1242728626_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1242728673_thumb.jpg

You may talk dirty but I want serious dirty, ok? :lol:

i am unfamiliar with "copic markers" here we get "gundam markers" which can potentially destroy a V2.0 VF-1 when it is oil based (?) I think Dobber was it who had a bad experience with applying and wiping excessive marking. please illuminate me on this issue.

Your ZPEZIAL looks godly good, reminds me of the 3D model used in the series.

Hehehe, my zpezial. :lol:

Copic is a brand of art markers from Japan, used for coloring commercial drawings like storyboards, artist impressions and etc. Once in a while, you'll probably see Copics being used in hobby magazines like Hobby Japan, Model Graphix or Dengeki. They can be used to color stuff straight from the marker itself, or you can slip them into a marker handpiece (something like an air brush handpiece) for a more even solid or gradient. They are alchohol based, and are kind of like the Gundam markers; only that Copics have more colors and many shades of greys, and the nibs come in a broad wedge and a broader fine tip. Markers like these are also available in other brands like Pantone, Yoken, Prismacolors and... actually there are too many to remember.

The method of application is same as what you describe Dobber did. Apply marker, and wipe off or wash away excess.

The weathering is done thru trial and error, but the general idea is to weather the valk with streaks of "dirt" according to airflow and simulate oil leaks and water stains, I think.

Glad to know you all like it, thanks. I admit its a bit unconventional to weather planes with permanent markers, but I want the stains to stay on long after and not smudge off after multiple transformation, and I think it works!

Edited by mr.chogokin

Oh, I nearly forget to mention... make sure you bring a part of the valk, leg or arm part so you can test out the shade of grey that you like. I used cool greys 50% and 70% and a blender. The blender is used to make the washes. When you're done, you don't even need to spray a clear coat to protect it... it's that effective.

Amazing how similar it is to the VF-25 from certain angles... namely seen from the top - the wings and the back...not so much the cockpit...

err... anyways- nice job :) The Zeros are lovely birds :)

Pete