New Yamato Anime to Open in Japanese Theaters in 2009

UN Spacy

It probably helped with raising some of the finances but I think the planning stages would have started well before the ST film had been released.

Taksraven

Defintely. The last few years have seen a lot of Yamato (IJN and Spacebattleship) stuff being released in Japan. That awesome 1/350 scale model/toy came out around the time the IJN Yamato live-action movie came out, loads of books and magazines were flooding the shelves, even a monthly magazine/model came out...the pachinko game, the new animated movie and now this live-action movie. It's defintely seen years of planning.

As long as I have a bluray with english subtitles in my hot little hands, I'll be happy. Speaking of which, is Voyager Entertianment still alive? They can't possibly be surviving on their old VHS composite masters of Yamato in our modern HD era can they?

As long as I have a bluray with english subtitles in my hot little hands, I'll be happy. Speaking of which, is Voyager Entertianment still alive? They can't possibly be surviving on their old VHS composite masters of Yamato in our modern HD era can they?

Did anybody see how bad their release of Comet Empire was. Talk about below broadcast quality!

Taksraven

These days Japan is starting to release Blu-rays with English subtitles included. The quality of the subtitles can vary though.

I can imagine, Voyager's Yamato movie box set is complete with several instances of the VHS master having been mangled at some point. Just when you thought DVD would save us from the old days of munched tape syndrom...

• 6 months later...

Netflix has the movie listed in their system, no release date yet - but I don't think they list movies unless someone is planning to release a US version (most likely subbed but that is good with me)

Unless they have an anime fan playing in the system there. I doubt with the current con season announcements, Netflix would get a heads up on everyone else.

Unless they have an anime fan playing in the system there. I doubt with the current con season announcements, Netflix would get a heads up on everyone else.

They don't normally list movies unless they plan on renting them though and have reason to believe they can get them in stock sometime. They don't even list series DVDs till they are available, even if they already are renting earlier episodes. As an example - they don't have the Yamato WWII movie on their system even though there is an English subtitled version available.

They don't normally list movies unless they plan on renting them though and have reason to believe they can get them in stock sometime. They don't even list series DVDs till they are available, even if they already are renting earlier episodes. As an example - they don't have the Yamato WWII movie on their system even though there is an English subtitled version available.

And all i'm saying is that news of a Yamato movie license would have hit any number of bigger anime news sites before Netflix, let alone Amazon or rightstuf.

• 4 months later...

Just watched the subbed version of the anime...not as good as I hoped it would be and I hated the unresolved part of the movie where

Yuki's whereabouts were never discovered.

But I did find it kinda messed up that

the third bridge crew got killed...they really need to pay those people hazard pay.

-Kyp