Home-made Macross Fighter Command Post

skonchboy

Hi,

I'm new to the Macross fan thing, so please be gentle with me!

I've just started collecting some Macross Aircraft kits 1/100 and 1/72 scale and wanted to make a display for them. I've been messing around with foamcore and put together some sticker sheets using Photoshop.

I've completed the first section and when I get the chance will finish it off with a larger hangar and control tower. Please let me know what you think?

If anyone is interested I have run off a tutorial and posted the sticker sheets that can be printed onto A4 sticker paper along with instructions on how to build here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/...57612902647388/ The great thing about making these sets, is that once you've built one, if you can use Photoshop or similar software, you can very easily design your own variations.

3219098372_011512cd60_b.jpg

3218245967_4b8d1569da_b.jpg

3218245289_40b775521f_b.jpg

3219097644_60bee5c120_b.jpg

And here are some earlier more generic models:

3221155532_e1917ba8b0.jpg

3221154526_672ff57453.jpg

3220307623_4fcc5901c2_b.jpg

Edited by skonchboy

You know, this makes me want to make it into a papercraft, where one wouldn't need the foamcore. Though, it wouldn't be able to hold any valk if you wanted to... Good work, man. (Although, it looks more like something from a PC 1st person shooter, instead of Macross) I bet this would even be useful for LARPers.

1) What's N.U.N.e?

2) U.N. Spacey is spelled U.N. Spacy, no E.

Otherwise, looks good! I like the idea of "modular" display... dealies...

Vostok 7

Well done! you won the "spot the deliberate mistake" competition lol. I noticed the error after I applied the sticker and have since rectified the error. With that in mind, have you ever entered in "Spacey" on Google, cos loads of people seem to have made the same mistake.

As far as the other words, there really isn't that much to go on regarding detailing on buildings so I just make things up. As I said, I'm new to this so I will need to polish up on my knowledge.

Thanks for the feedback.

You know, this makes me want to make it into a papercraft, where one wouldn't need the foamcore. Though, it wouldn't be able to hold any valk if you wanted to... Good work, man. (Although, it looks more like something from a PC 1st person shooter, instead of Macross) I bet this would even be useful for LARPers.

Thanks for the feedback. I deliberately wanted to make the buildings look as though it had been taken directly from a cartoon, simply because the Macross series was a cartoon! Also well spotted about the PC shooter cos I took some of the textures from Quake 3.

Also when I was a kid I had a Starbird with a huge base made of cardboard, it was very similar to what I've done here. I haven't seen a playset like it since, so I thought it'd be cool to make something similar.

3219276662_0b81a95cf4_o.jpg

I appreciate your input. :ph34r:

Edited by skonchboy

Thanks for the feedback. I deliberately wanted to make the buildings look as though it had been taken directly from a cartoon, simply because the Macross series was a cartoon! Also well spotted about the PC shooter cos I took some of the textures from Quake 3.

Also when I was a kid I had a Starbird with a huge base made of cardboard, it was very similar to what I've done here. I haven't seen a playset like it since, so I thought it'd be cool to make something similar.

3219276662_0b81a95cf4_o.jpg

I appreciate your input. :ph34r:

Well, I knew it was FPS-related somehow :)

My only realy problem with it is that it doesn't seem to capture that Macross feel. It feels like something out of Quake, Doom, or HL1. It could feel more Macross-y, but that's a personal style choice. Keep up the line, Skonch! :D

Well, I knew it was FPS-related somehow :)

My only realy problem with it is that it doesn't seem to capture that Macross feel. It feels like something out of Quake, Doom, or HL1. It could feel more Macross-y, but that's a personal style choice. Keep up the line, Skonch! :D

Hmm...You have laid down a challenge. I accept. I will return in a few weeks with something more.....appropriate. :ph34r:

Welcome to MacrossWorld! That is quite the impressive first post.

Awesome work on those! That's a great way to make an interesting inexpensive backdrop for your kits. Those are perfect, because while they look really good, they will not take too much attention away from the valk kits.

I really like the lauch bay "box" area/control center. I think it looks like a structure that would be on a remote airbase after the war was over and humans started spreading out around the planet again. I'd love to see more. It might be nice to have a completely two dimensional option that could be used for a simple background piece.

Edited by jardann

I just remembered a bunch of cardboard towers I had once. I believe they were for decorating Hot Wheels cities, but I can't remember.

I like cardboard-based accesories for my toys. There's a lot of LARP papercraft out there. I also like papercraft toys. I have a plethora on my bookshelf, including a few VFs.

I used to have a Starbird as a kid. It was my favorite toy, until my parents made me give it to my cousin from Sweden during a vacation, just cus' he liked it!

Grrr..........still haven't forgiven them for that, especially as they never did buy me the promised replacement.

Graham

I really like the lauch bay "box" area/control center. I think it looks like a structure that would be on a remote airbase after the war was over and humans started spreading out around the planet again. I'd love to see more. It might be nice to have a completely two dimensional option that could be used for a simple background piece.

The launch bay model was made for a toy that I have been after for years, it is called "Jaguar Vulcan" and was an early Pre-Power Rangers, Super Sentai Popy toy. I had one when I was a kid, but stupidly sold it when I was a teenager (that was back in 85). I recently found one on e-bay and so put to work creating a home for it. See below:

3172509478_09de0c9980.jpg

Re the backdrop: Ahh, now you are talking. I've done something similar with a Star Wars Playset I made for the Kids, see below:

2971189853_7327fa834d.jpg

2971719446_3bb8fc15b6.jpg

2938608024_6f8f655518.jpg

I used thick card to form part of a large hangar bay which doubled as the trench run when reversed, the rest was made of foamcore. The kids have loved playing with it so much that I am constantly having to re-build sections everytime the "Rebel Scum" destroy it. I have been toying with a similar idea for theis project as well. I guess I should buy shares in Foamcore!

I have just bought a Cara Works set of mini kits 1/144 scale and I am wanting to create a small display for them but I've been inundated with work lately so I've had to put my Macross Base on hold very temporerily.

I am really impressed with the friendly and encouraging feedback I'm getting here which is putting pressure on me to create!

J

Edited by skonchboy

Liking the Stwrs stuff though...I woulda died for that....nice...

Re the backdrop: Ahh, now you are talking. I've done something similar with a Star Wars Playset I made for the Kids, see below:

2971189853_7327fa834d.jpg

2971719446_3bb8fc15b6.jpg

I used thick card to form part of a large hangar bay which doubled as the trench run when reversed, the rest was made of foamcore. The kids have loved playing with it so much that I am constantly having to re-build sections everytime the "Rebel Scum" destroy it. I have been toying with a similar idea for theis project as well.

I have just bought a Cara Works set of mini kits 1/144 scale and I am wanting to create a small display for them but I've been inundated with work lately so I've had to put my Macross Base on hold very temporerily.

I am really impressed with the friendly and encouraging feedback I'm getting here which is putting pressure on me to create!

J

'Schizophrenic

I like cardboard-based accesories for my toys. There's a lot of LARP papercraft out there. I also like papercraft toys. I have a plethora on my bookshelf, including a few VFs.

Here's some more of my creations FYI.

3219303241_00b198a6c3.jpg

3219348961_f3f9dca83e.jpg

ROCK BASE!

This one turns into a box to hold some small Gashapon toys. There is a drawer that fits into the hangar bay and the lower section opens to form a small hangar and conrol tower and there is a ring section that holds it all in place when it is in "BOX MODE". My kids love this stuff and I'm making a "book" base for my youingest one - It will look like a book from the outside, but it will have compartments that will open.

3220153574_b1b017242b.jpg

Thios one was my attempt at re-creating the late 60's retro look "a la" Grendizer.

and these are more of the Jaguar Vulcan, "VULCAN COMMAND OUTPOST" set.

3219302859_163e17e491_b.jpg

I'm now focusing on Macross. I am designing a space carrier based on an idea taken from the refulling frigate from the "Homeworld" game and another remote outpost base for my 1/144 scale Chara Works models.

In my spare time I have my own building company - which reminds me, I must get back to work!

This is great fun, thank you for your feedback!

Edited by skonchboy

Well hell of a first thread.

This looks good. I am surprised that nobody has ever made this sort of thing commercially for Macross. it would work well just as a backdrop for model display cabinets I reckon.

This looks good. I am surprised that nobody has ever made this sort of thing commercially for Macross. it would work well just as a backdrop for model display cabinets I reckon.

THAT'S PECICELY WHY I MAKE THESE THINGS - No one seems to make decent display scenes for these fantastic kits, so after seeing an architect friend of mine using Foamcore to make models I thought this would be a good idea.

I hope Bandai don't see this cos there really is a huge gap in the market for this kind of stuff and I should patent the ideas. "well you've seen it here first folks"

I'm going a bit off topic here. so I'm going to try to keep things "Macross" from here on.

Once again, I am really appreciating the feedback, it makes creating that bit more rewarding!

Edited by skonchboy

Welcome Skonchboy. Great concept! It reminds me of the cardboard SDF-1. I had some of my Nichimo valks hanging on clear line "flying" around it. That thing took up most of my ceiling! Good idea and I'd keep pushing the envelope with it if I were you! - MT

Really awesome stuff. The Star Wars stuff kicks ass! It looks waay better than the old Death Star playset. Having that as a kid would have been the ultimate in cool. Let your kids know they've got it pretty good. Is there any way you could share those graphics etc.? (I would understand if you want to keep it for yourself though, I imagine there's a fair bit of work involved) I would love to know more about how you construct those things. They look deceptively simple and sturdy.

There really could be a market for some of that stuff. You should try creating a more generic one and see what kind of bites you get on EvilBay.

Whoa! Starbird! I loved that thing. I've probably still got mine at my Mom's. Hmm, working at a print shop, it seems like I could get away with making some shelf display for some of my models. Hadn't thought of doing this before... Hmm...

Really awesome stuff. The Star Wars stuff kicks ass! It looks waay better than the old Death Star playset. Having that as a kid would have been the ultimate in cool. Let your kids know they've got it pretty good. Is there any way you could share those graphics etc.? (I would understand if you want to keep it for yourself though, I imagine there's a fair bit of work involved) I would love to know more about how you construct those things. They look deceptively simple and sturdy.

I can't take all of the credit, if you go here: http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/home/home_asp/01menuDio.asp you'll see some truely awesome work. Star Wars only though!

As you seem keen to see how I make these things, I have posted instructions and the sticker sheets to form the hangar shown at the top of the thread. Please go here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/...57612902647388/

You will also see the other creations I 've produced so far. As soon as I have finished the next one I'll post instructions and sheets also.

The great thing about making these simple buildings is that if you can use Photoshop or similar softwarre, you can soon start designing your own sets. Its very addictive!

here is a slideshow of what I've created over the past 6 weeks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/...164675025/show/.

Enjoy. and thank you for your interest in my creations. :rolleyes:

Edited by skonchboy

Sweet! I was about to get those Kotobukiya Chain bases but your work looks great!

The buildings are modular so they can be re-arranged to suit - or when you get bored of a particular set up.

Here's some more images I set up with my 1/144 scale models:

3221155982_fdf23d9fe6_b.jpg

3220309091_7d8d743780_b.jpg

3220308315_24c07d8708.jpg

3221154876_f7145fb0f4.jpg

Edited by skonchboy

Skonch, those Star Wars dioramas.... Is that the 1978 release Millenium Falcon, or a newer one?

I has the old one :p

Well, it is the old type but the re-vamped newer version. There is a new type which is mahoosive and costs so much that my wife would divorce me if I were to buy one. Hasn't stoped me lusting after one though.

Edited by skonchboy

Well, it is the old type but the re-vamped newer version. There is a new type which is mahoosive and costs so much that my wife would divorce me if I were to buy one. Hasn't stoped me lusting after one though.

I know the one.

Mine (Hand-me-down from me dad, along with others) is the original release toy.

I want the new, 2-foot one and the lego 3-footer.

I can't take all of the credit, if you go here: http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/home/home_asp/01menuDio.asp you'll see some truely awesome work. Star Wars only though!

As you seem keen to see how I make these things, I have posted instructions and the sticker sheets to form the hangar shown at the top of the thread. Please go here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/...57612902647388/

You will also see the other creations I 've produced so far. As soon as I have finished the next one I'll post instructions and sheets also.

The great thing about making these simple buildings is that if you can use Photoshop or similar softwarre, you can soon start designing your own sets. Its very addictive!

here is a slideshow of what I've created over the past 6 weeks: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/...164675025/show/.

Enjoy. and thank you for your interest in my creations. :rolleyes:

I forgot about niubniub's dioramas. I used to drool over those years ago.

Your stuff is great but I think I might use some of this stuff for my GI Joes or something since the colors are so vibrant on the stickers.

Great stuff! Thanks for the links. I'll have to take some time to go through all that stuff.

Just thought I'd show you the finished set!(I posted a new thread with more pics (I'm not sure if I should have done that or whether I should have added new pics here).

3232351273_72ea86295d_b.jpg

FRONT

3232351957_f5f431cd60_b.jpg

BACK

Very nice! The multi-storey thing gave me an idea-- ever thought of building an elevator for the runway?

Yep...but I got a bit lazy and left it out as I was up till 4am making it!

If you are interested, I have posted all of the decals here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30029551@N06/...57612902647388/