FIRE & ICE by Frank Frazetta

Agent ONE

Does anyone remember this 1983 movie!?

It is kind of a classic themed good versus evil movie with a great deal of death and distruction. I have the movie on VHS but I don't believe it can be found on DVD. I have never met anyone that has seen this movie that I didn't show it to.

post-25-1068065090.jpg

That's an old childhood favorite of mine. I'm not a big fan of rotoscoping, especially Bashki's, but Frazetta's art shine thru. I love his sketches in the beginning. I still have my VHS copy and it's not one of those I want to upgrade to DVD just yet, maybe if it was loaded with extras concering Frazetta and they sold it at a low sale price...

there was a thread about this a while back, probably a month ago. Anyways, yeah, that was my first violent animated movie that I saw and I loved it. Back then, I was like how could they make a cartoon all violent like that? I was intrigued by this movie and had my dad record it instead of buying it. I still have it on beta too! :p:D:lol:

there was a thread about this a while back, probably a month ago. Anyways, yeah, that was my first violent animated movie that I saw and I loved it. Back then, I was like how could they make a cartoon all violent like that? I was intrigued by this movie and had my dad record it instead of buying it. I still have it on beta too! :p:D:lol:

A thread about it!? Could you link me. I would have noticed... I think.

there was a thread about this a while back, probably a month ago. Anyways, yeah, that was my first violent animated movie that I saw and I loved it. Back then, I was like how could they make a cartoon all violent like that? I was intrigued by this movie and had my dad record it instead of buying it.  I still have it on beta too! :p  :D  :lol:

A thread about it!? Could you link me. I would have noticed... I think.

ack!! I can't find it! Maybe you can find it through the search function. But there is a thread about it somewhere. I swear! :p:D:lol:

I got the DVD here, bought with a discount in a media shop in the Netherlands. :p

No extras, just the film with Dutch subtitles.

Of course I know this film. It's one of Ralph Bakshi's best animated features. I want a north american release of this film on DVD. I owned a VHS copy for many years, but as we all know how well VHS stands the test of time it's redundant to say I am currently without. Classic fantasy tale of good versus evil. The artwork was amazing.

It's odd that there is no Region 1 dvd of this feature, it's often a rule that Region 1 gets the first release, especially when this is made in the US...

That's an old childhood favorite of mine. I'm not a big fan of rotoscoping, especially Bashki's, but Frazetta's art shine thru. I love his sketches in the beginning. I still have my VHS copy and it's not one of those I want to upgrade to DVD just yet, maybe if it was loaded with extras concering Frazetta and they sold it at a low sale price...

I too have heard of Fire and Ice back in the day. I think I would be the only village frog in MW that haven't seen this animated feature. :p It's probably the "educated and civilised" Malaysian cencorship board's fault.

But anything about Frazetta art for me is a sure sell. If they put it to DVD with all the extras about Frazetta, that would be very nice indeed.

Man this movie ROCKED! I remember it was the frist Animation that I bought and it was literally the day I got out of Boot-Camp! I watched like 5 times in a row while getting really intoxicated. And trust me the movie got even better the more I drank. Really brought the characters to life. And then there was all that hidden graphics stuff.....or maybe I had just drank too much :blink::unsure:

No I loved that movie. If anyone can get the DVD of this let us know so we can pick it up!

Rob MN

Of course I know this film. It's one of Ralph Bakshi's best animated features. I want a north american release of this film on DVD. I owned a VHS copy for many years, but as we all know how well VHS stands the test of time it's redundant to say I am currently without. Classic fantasy tale of good versus evil. The artwork was amazing.

Yeah WTF is the Region 1 version of this on DVD. My VHS is so old it will probably tear apart if I try to watch it again. :D

Wow, I am so thrilled that you guys even are of such a movie... I have been hesitating posting this thread for years. I expected to be dissapointed. Did anyone order the eBay DVD?

Of course I know this film.  It's one of Ralph Bakshi's best animated features.  I want a north american release of this film on DVD.  I owned a VHS copy for many years, but as we all know how well VHS stands the test of time it's redundant to say I am currently without.  Classic fantasy tale of good versus evil.  The artwork was amazing.

Yeah WTF is the Region 1 version of this on DVD. My VHS is so old it will probably tear apart if I try to watch it again. :D

I feel your pain my friend. But to be quite honest, there's still a ton of stuff not yet available on DVD. Like where the hell is Schindler's List? Hopefully Fire and Ice will come out soon.

Classic fantasy tale of good versus evil.  The artwork was amazing.

there has yet to come anything better out of "western" animation

which is sad considering it's age

Well, we all know the western stigma surrounding animation, so that should give you a good idea why Fire and Ice still stands alone. It'll probably take a while before anything else that good ever comes along.

Wow, I am so thrilled that you guys even are of such a movie... I have been hesitating posting this thread for years. I expected to be dissapointed. Did anyone order the eBay DVD?

I'm a huge fan of fantasy artwork and have been ever since I was a child. It was inevitable I'd run into this film and Frazetta's work. Great fantasy tales are rarely animated here in the western world, despite the great library of fantasy work that is produced every year in the form of books, games, and art. Fire and Ice holds a special place in my collection of great fantasy.

Someone whose ebay ID looks familiar just bought that one...

I don't think I've ever heard of the movie, but now I want to see it. Fortunately, I have a multi-region player.

I have seen Bakshi's Fritz the Cat, which I liked a lot even though I think Robert Crumb (who created the character in his comic strips) had some kind of problem with it. I also really liked Bakshi's Wizards, a very dark fantasy/scifi film. Strangely, I've never seen his Lord of the Rings.

Well, we all know the western stigma surrounding animation, so that should give you a good idea why Fire and Ice still stands alone. It'll probably take a while before anything else that good ever comes along.

It'll probably be forever since everyone "over here" gets wet hearing the letters C-G-I

most animators think this is the future

well, if it is, the future's gonna look like crap

Stigma or not, there has got to be enough animators out here in the "west" who want to get the job done right

I gotta say, if there had been more animated movies like "Fire and Ice"

I'd surely would've been a bigger fan of western animation

but for some reason things never evolved further beyond Haim Saban and Suki Levy

(Heavy metal made an attempt, got close, but got taken down with the "undergrounders")

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah WTF is the Region 1 version of this on DVD. My VHS is so old it will probably tear apart if I try to watch it again.  :D

Ebay has an NTSC region-free version.

That auction looks pretty sketchy. I'm pretty doubtful about the 5.1 surround sound. :D

But then again, there aren't many alternatives.

Despite the sketchy nature of this guy I bought the DVD and I got it today... GREAT quality for a boot, better than my VHS copy ever was so they must have gotten something better as a source, no real extras other than a bio of Ralph Bakishi which was probably just cut and pasted from somewhere off of the Web, but the DVD is worth it if you like the movie. I am going to watch it tonight with my Dad, he loves the movie.

I've never seen his Lord of the Rings.

Stay away from Bakshi's LOTR. It combined the Fellowship and Two Towers novels. Seen it and it was boring it made me go to sleep and the story pacing wasn't so great. I had the DVD, sold it, end of story. Stick with Peter Jackson's far superior vision. Can't wait for the 4disc special edition of the Two Towers on Tuesday!

~G25