Hikaru 1S Review

Draykov

there is a problem with IKARU's break. It's open.

Is it a problem with recent 1/48s ?

Oops, just noticed that. I forgot to close it securely. It's about the same as all the other 1/48's. Not very stiff, but it'll stay closed as long as you don't conk it on the back while holding it upside down or something like that, which I probably did when I was adjusting them for pictures.

Edited by soze

I still don't get it... why isn't there any critisism on the armor clip on the arm? Shouldn't it be white?

What part are you talking about? The little rectangle-like area on the armor near the hands that is red in his pictures? If so, then I'm not sure if there is an "officially" correct color to start with, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I still don't get it... why isn't there any critisism on the armor clip on the arm? Shouldn't it be white?

What part are you talking about? The little rectangle-like area on the armor near the hands that is red in his pictures? If so, then I'm not sure if there is an "officially" correct color to start with, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think he's referring to the attachment mechanism on the FP for the pin on the Valk arm to snap into.

post-4-1068495333_thumb.jpg

Well, I got my first VF-1S Hikaru yesterday. I admit, as people started to get theirs and started commenting on them, I started to worry that I would be the victim of a Yamato QC blunder, but for the most part, I'm pleased with my purchase. I'm happy to report that there are no gaps over the intakes in fighter mode as reported in this thread. The general consensus on that issue, I believe, is that it was just a problem caused by lack of attention to detail during transformation. If you do it right, you shouldn't have gaps.

The one thing that was a problem was paint. Much like Tam reported in his review over at the Twin Moons Forums, I had a similar problem, though not as bad as Tam's (see below).

hvf1s-13.jpg

The black stripe on the port wing of my Valk was a bit shoddy, but not really noticeable or worth mentioning to any but the most discerning Valkyrie connoisseur.

Overall though, another very satisfying product from Yamato. In fact, I liked it so much I ordered another. :rolleyes:

Edited by Draykov

could someone post a picture of the front of both of the 1/48 VF-1S's heads, I didnt buy the first because of the gap, is it fixed in the new version???

If you go to the bottom of page 2 of this thread, you'll see a pretty good head on shot of the Hikaru VF-1S. The seam isn't gone, but it's definitely less noticeable.

Just got mine a few hours ago, and I am impressed. I already like the 1/48 better than my 1/60s, but I have a few problems with it so far (nothing major, but still wondering if anyone knows how to fix/if I'm doing something wrong, &c.)

1) The arms are a little floppy in Fighter mode. (as of yet, I haven't transformed it) They are also floppy with the FAST Packs on (the instructions show a hole-and tab arrangement on the arm armor parts that secure the arms to the legs, but I can't find it). If I fiddle with them, they get less floppy, but that knocks one of the legs a little askew.

2) The Backpack clip doesn't seem to work well. When I put the backpack into the up position (I'm definetly NOT forcing it -- it is a sad man who doesn't learn from his own mistakes, it's a bloody idiot who doesn't learn from others' :p )it pulls up the hatch. Just to be safe, how far can I put the backpack up before risking breaking the hinge?

3) There's a little gap on one side of the canopy -- looks slightly mis-molded. Although it's not noticable enough to be annoying, I'm glad Hikaru's got that full pressure suit :p

Other than that, I thiunk the casting is lovely, and the FAST Packs finally give it that "Valk all dressed up and ready to open up a can of whup-ass" look I've been waiting for. It was well worth the money, IMHO.

I think he's referring to the attachment mechanism on the FP for the pin on the Valk arm to snap into.

Man... how nitpicky can some people get? Even the Hasegawas have that blue section. Live with it.

I received my VF-1S Hikaru yesterday and I've got nothing to complain about. One of the little filler pieces on the side of the battroid was greasy, but that's nothing. I had a tiny gap above the intakes, but it wasn't anything to be worried about and I expect it to go away when I transform back to fighter mode. Paint apps look good. No floppiness or bad fits. It's now standing on my shelf wearing strike armor - A great rendition of my favorite valk.

Now all I need is the Hikaru 1J so that I can make a TV super VF-1S. I think that will be my last 1/48 unless they come up with something tempting like an Angel Bird, VE-1 or VF-1D.

Just got mine a few hours ago, and I am impressed. I already like the 1/48 better than my 1/60s, but I have a few problems with it so far (nothing major, but still wondering if anyone knows how to fix/if I'm doing something wrong, &c.)

1) The arms are a little floppy in Fighter mode. (as of yet, I haven't transformed it) They are also floppy with the FAST Packs on (the instructions show a hole-and tab arrangement on the arm armor parts that secure the arms to the legs, but I can't find it). If I fiddle with them, they get less floppy, but that knocks one of the legs a little askew.

2) The Backpack clip doesn't seem to work well. When I put the backpack into the up position (I'm definetly NOT forcing it -- it is a sad man who doesn't learn from his own mistakes, it's a bloody idiot who doesn't learn from others' :p )it pulls up the hatch. Just to be safe, how far can I put the backpack up before risking breaking the hinge?

3) There's a little gap on one side of the canopy -- looks slightly mis-molded. Although it's not noticable enough to be annoying, I'm glad Hikaru's got that full pressure suit :p

Other than that, I thiunk the casting is lovely, and the FAST Packs finally give it that "Valk all dressed up and ready to open up a can of whup-ass" look I've been waiting for. It was well worth the money, IMHO.

1. Your arms should not be floppy in fighter mode. Be careful that you press the forearms together and that the peg goes into the hole. Then be sure that the arms snap correctly into the holes on the inside of the legs. Everything should fit together nicely. Now, the FAST Packs are another deal. The arms aren't quite as solid when FAST Packs are on. . . because the pegs on the arms go into much larger grooves that aren't holes at all, but just sorta "indentations."

2. The backpack clip. . . you're missing a step. Before you fold up the backpack, you need to press the "hatch" further into the back of the battroid beyond where it is flush with the rest of the back. I am talking about the hatch here and not the backpack itself! Do not force the backpack!. The hatch is supposed to be pushed in further where it will lock underneath two little dimples. . . and it will then securely be able to handle the weight of the backpack without coming out. Look closely at the instructions, it will show what I mean. There was a picture of this on the forums somewhere. If I find it, I'll post it.

Edit: This is the thread that shows the pictures. Enjoy!

3. Sorry about the canopy gap. :(

Good Luck!

H

Edited by Hurin

I got my VF-1S Hikaru yesterday. I too have noticed some QC problems on my valkyrie.

1. Mine had the same problem with the black paint as Tamim did. Except mine is on the chest pieces instead of the wing.

2. I noticed little bits of plastic from where panel lines were etched in where still attached. Nothing big, just had to scrape them off.

3. Some dried glue running from the front of the hip piece where the air intake is. The glue itself was not a problem but the little pieces of dust/dirt that got glued on had to be scraped off.

Hmm, I wonder what happened to Yamato? Their previous Max and Low Viz had an exceptionally good quality to them. Did they switch factories or something?

Edited by rsvictor1976

I got my VF-1S Hikaru yesterday. I too have noticed some QC problems on my valkyrie.

1. Mine had the same problem with the black pain as Tamim did. Except mine is on the chest pieces instead of the wing.

2. I noticed little bits of plastic from where panel lines were etched in where still attached. Nothing big, just had to scrape them off.

3. Some dried glue running from the front of the hip piece where the air intake is. The glue itself was not a problem but the little pieces of dust/dirt that got glues on had to be scraped off.

Hmm, I wonder what happened to Yamato? Their previous Max and Low Viz had an exceptionally good quality to them. Did they switch factories or something?

you scare me with your talk!

if you guys want a perfect version get it from Soze... he'll hook it up!

How does Soze make sure you get a perfect version? I'm sure he gets a random selection in a box just like every other seller.

Oh and Dr Clay, it's not that bad. Just some minor QC issues. Exceept maybe for the paint, everything else is unnoticeble.

Edited by rsvictor1976

Heh, thanks for the endorsement kp_assman, but I can't guarantee the quality of Yamato's QC. :p

Anyway I do try to give the best condition boxes I have available at the time. :D Glad you were able to get a figure you are happy with kp_assman!