Sunset Beach

HWR MKII

Picked up this kit recently. I will be working on it while i work on my VF-25. Sometimes i feel the need for a easier slam build and this fits right up that alley. I wont be doing a whole lot to it. Some slight scribing adding panels and details common to all VF-1 types. I hope alot of you follow along since this little orange bugger isnt seen much.

You got me hooked just by writing "Sunset Beach" - I love that tune :) But what does it have to do witht he VT-1?

Pete

Sunset Beach is the song Minmay sings in the back seat as hikaru tours the rings of saturn in DYRL. In that scene he is piloting a VT-1 Super Ostrich.

Edited by HWR MKII

Sunset Beach is the song Minmay sings in the back seat as hikaru tours the rings of saturn in DYRL. In that scene he is piloting a VT-1 Super Ostrich.

Ah - that's probably why I didn't make the connection :) I'm an SDFM TV person with very sketchy memories of DYRL :)

Thanks,

Pete

Here is last nights work. Glued on the wings and filled their respective seams. Also scribed in the upper wing fences that are prominent on every VF-1 kit from the Ultimate detail 1/48 to the 1/72 hasegawas. They are also seen in the PS2 DYRL opening scenes. Given 3 sources id say they are a safe detail to add. They also help fill out the wing and add a little interest. Next ill be cleaning up and getting everything ready for a coat of radome tan.

In the cockpit i replaced the front seat top with a spare hasegawa VF-1 seat and the same with the front control panel. These add a needed detail touch to the cockpit that the kit was lacking. Not due to any fault in the kit. Its old as it is.

Another reason im doing this build is that Macross Frontier has renewed my interest in the Macross series that came before. We have alot of new blood here because of it as well and some of the new members might also want to know more about what came before the VF-25.

post-2293-1229098163_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229098186_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229098198_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229098213_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229098230_thumb.jpg

Looks great so far... can't wait to see some paint on this. Is it gonna be a clean build, or weathered up like a plane should be?

I hear ya on MacF... I'm gonna be done dling it this afternoon, and then I think I'll spend the weekend finally watching the series while working on my 40k stuff. I'll have a tank to show soon.

This will be a pretty clean build. Just sourcing better declas fot it. I should have what i need though. Doing some scribing work on the fast packs to bring more interest to them now.

Edited by HWR MKII

I had a close look at your OC parts and they defnitely are based of Imai bits. The legs from the intakes down are very obvious, though the FAST pack and intake sections are definitely new. Still asfar as the basic shape is concerned it is an improvement.

Also you have no idea what I would give for a copy of that nose :) (or maybe I should get off my arse and get mine casted up for a start)

Cheers,

Berttt

P.S. After reading this thread I so want to get out into the garage and dig out my old Gerwalk conversion project!

Edited by Berttt

parts have been stripped and recoated with lightened tamiya deck tan. I actually like this color a bit more.

As far as i can tell teh VT and VE 1 have almost the same wing tips. If one is going to go as far as calling a descrepancy in line art inaccurate than that is their issue. Ill live with it as it is. If i wanted this to be detailed as all get out id have got a hasegawa. It so happens i prefer the lines of this kit more. Im building a little resin space fighter here not an F-15E.

Edited by HWR MKII

Testors acrylics? You don't mean the rattle cans, do you? The Model Master ones... I thought those were enamel...

Testors has their Acryl range in the same size bottles as their enamel model master range. I dont like them . Latex based and clogs up my AB fast.

Ok no longer cranky. Things went as smooth as silk for everything else. I decided to dust off the ol brush painting skills on the orange. Saved alot of tedious masking and possible paint pull ups. I am satisfied with the resultsGood solid color and clean demarcations.

That being said. Within a week i will have a sample set of some of PetarB's 1/72 pilots. These will be used to occupy the cockpit. I cant wait to get them. His sculptings are top notch.

Also i am awaiting the decals from greyson 72. I cant do any of the landing lights until after the future, decals and matt coat are applied. SO the Ostrich is on hold for about a week. I dont mind though i have another Orange collection Valk to work on....and a Schira-Dow....and a VF-25.

Man i really need to clean off my bench :wacko:

post-2293-1229144482_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229144496_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229144509_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229144527_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229144556_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229144573_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1229144589_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Theres alot of factors to the brush work. most important are a good base, a good soft round sable and the right paint consistency. The base on this was the tamiya deck tan. It was smoth but created a good tooth for the first layer to grip and spread evenly on. It only took 2 coats to get even coverage. A round brush holds paint better and spreads it more evenly than a square or flat brush. Alot of people try to use flats and thats where the streaks really happen. The paint just has to be thinned just right. Not airbrushing thin but not straight from the bottle either. Its a matter of trial and error for that one im afraid. Let the paint dry fully between coats as well so you dont lift the underlying layer. this is where a good base comes in handy again. Also dont try to paint the etire area with the one brush. use a liner brush or a smaller round to get close to details. these normally only need one coat since its a smaller area. also once you have a good edge it gives you breathing room to get in with the larger round.

Edited by HWR MKII

I recieved the figures from Petar today. Astounding. The details are great. Ill be painting the female military pilot up as Millia from the TV series and the male as Roy . There is another female in the flight suit that Misa wore on a few occasions in the series but should make a passable helmeted minmay in my DYRL Super Ostrich. There are some detail differences but in this scale only the true fan would notice. I will get to painting them soon but first i have anothe rmodel to finish

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the decals for the Ostrich arrived from Grayson 72 this weekend and are just what i need. Heres the bad part. Petars male pilot figure is incompatable with this kit. Doesnt mean i still wont use it and paint it up though. He sits too tall in this kits seat. I dont know how it would fit in a hasegawa since mine are all sealed but one would think Petar has a hase on hand to make sure it will fit and clear the canopy when closed. His female in civillian helmet however fits like a glove in the back seat and i have a spare DYRL style pilot so i can still have a minmay and hikaru in there. Should have some shots for you guys in a day or 2.

Petar once these are painted ill take a bunch of different shots and let you pick the ones you like most.

All figures have been designed specifically for and tested in the Hasegawa VF-1 series kits, and they seem to work fine. I didn't have any Arii or resin kits to test out on. When you get the camera out, I'd love a shot of the male pilot just placed in or near the seat so I can get a handle on the issue. If I can, I will alter it so it's a 'one size fits all'. There will be always be a tiny variation in height, due to the pouring process, however you can run the base across some sandpaper to easily correct this.

Anyway, can't wait to see this Ostrich painted up, it's one of my favourite Macross subjects.

All figures have been designed specifically for and tested in the Hasegawa VF-1 series kits, and they seem to work fine. I didn't have any Arii or resin kits to test out on. When you get the camera out, I'd love a shot of the male pilot just placed in or near the seat so I can get a handle on the issue. If I can, I will alter it so it's a 'one size fits all'. There will be always be a tiny variation in height, due to the pouring process, however you can run the base across some sandpaper to easily correct this.

Anyway, can't wait to see this Ostrich painted up, it's one of my favourite Macross subjects.

Did you ever see the build up I did?

Petar i will take some shots tonight for you.

Greyson I never did see yours built. BTW i applied all the applicable decals today before i went to work. They really look great. Gave them a shot of future too. I was worried about the wing walkway decals size but i made them work. Most of the decals fit reasonably well so this kit isnt too far off a hasegawa in terms of overall shape.

Pics in a couple hours guys!