Warner Adapting Ninja Scroll

Morpheus

Dominion Tank Police would be pretty awesome as a live movie. I quite liked the series as well from what i vaguely remember....

The series was alright. The Puma sisters in live action would be verrrrrrrrry interesting.

Taksraven

I liked both Ninja Scroll (and still do) and Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend back in high school... :ph34r:

Is there something wrong with me? :mellow:

Only for thinking that there's something wrong with you for liking something...

• 2 weeks later...

interview with Di Caprio from MTV

“We’re waiting for the final draft of the script [for 'Akira'],” DiCaprio told MTV. “I’m a big fan of Japanese anime — that and another project called ‘Ninja Scroll’ we’re trying to get developed and made into a movie, and I know there a lot of loyal fans out there of the project and die-hard fans, so we’re going to try to do the best job we possibly can and we’re not going to make the movie until the script is in the right shape.”

However, for those of you out there hoping to see DiCaprio on Kaneda’s souped up motorcycle in “Akira” or munching on rice balls a la Jubei Kibagami in “Ninja Scroll,” don’t hold your breath. When asked about what his role will be in these properties, DiCaprio made it clear that he’d be producing, and as for as any interest in acting: “No, not really,” he responded.

it's not a bad visual idea. a horror western with over-the-top action ?

the same's been done before with 7 Samurai - westernized into The Magnificent Seven,

( which turned into A Bug's Life :p)

AND Battle Beyond the Stars! ;)

Taksraven

I'd be ok with them moving Akira to NY, why not?

But i WON'T be ok with them changing any of the N/Scroll origins.

But they will probably use western actor for this one, and maybe few Japanese actor. Maybe Tom Cruise will get the chance to act like a samurai again, but still I prefer Samuel L Jackson for Jubei, that would be $%#& awesome. :huh:

Only for thinking that there's something wrong with you for liking something...

I was kidding, u know? :p

If they can do it... why cant the westerners?

Director: Takashi Miike <-------

Very few directors are as creative in Hollywood as to do a Ninja Scroll remake and make it look half that good.

Plus, the studios executives are a bunch of dickheads.

But they will probably use western actor for this one, and maybe few Japanese actor. Maybe Tom Cruise will get the chance to act like a samurai again, but still I prefer Samuel L Jackson for Jubei, that would be $%#& awesome. :huh:

They can leave that for Afro Samurai live action. :lol: You just KNOW they are going to do it.

If they can do it... why cant the westerners?

Remember Django was a loose adaption of the samurai classic Yojimbo (as well as Sergio Leone's Fistfull of Dollars). So I see the Sukiyaki western just returning to it's original asian roots with a spaghetti twist. Unless Ninja Scroll is set in the future, I can't see westerners in that movie.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I was kidding, u know? :p

Director: Takashi Miike <-------

Very few directors are as creative in Hollywood as to do a Ninja Scroll remake and make it look half that good.

Plus, the studios executives are a bunch of dickheads.

*snort* I'm sorry, most hollywood hacks would be just as capable of producing something as *good* as ninja scroll.

I was going to say too... I wasn't serious about the whole if they can do it we can too. A lot of those foreign directors seem like they're talented and have fresh ideas but when you bring them into Hollywood and give them a decent budget, they usually choke... *cough*John Woo*cough*

And Eugimon is right. I like watching Ninja Scrolls. It's a fun movie. But it's not an impossible task to retell the story in live action. You just have to muck thru the hacks and poseurs. That's the real challenge.

They can leave that for Afro Samurai live action. :lol: You just KNOW they are going to do it.

HEY, PIGSY!!!!!!

Good that you chose the cool original Pigsy rather than the crap replacement he had in the second season. Loved the way that Pigsy would cry at the drop of a hat. Brilliant actor. Look at his face when he is taking on the dude who killed his sister.

OT but who cares, a great show and thank god Hollywood is leaving it alone.

Taksraven

HEY, PIGSY!!!!!!

Good that you chose the cool original Pigsy rather than the crap replacement he had in the second season. Loved the way that Pigsy would cry at the drop of a hat. Brilliant actor. Look at his face when he is taking on the dude who killed his sister.

OT but who cares, a great show and thank god Hollywood is leaving it alone.

Taksraven

They brought out "The Forbidden Kingdom", and that had elements of the monkeh story, but no Sandy or Pigsy. :( No Tribitaka but who cares lol. I really enjoyed that flick, will get it on dvd soon as it comes out, just because i'm going ape (how lame) about Monkey lately.

Yeah i know the original actor of Pigsy rules! I can't remember 2nd actor as much, just know that he wasn't as fun and certainly not as good looking. :lol: I'll have to check upon what movies he's been in, he's all class.Jet Li looked great as Monkey. Only seen a little bit of the other newer HK(?) production of MOnkey, can't remember the name, adn that stupid english series that was on tv a few years ago was crap.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 4 months later...

Ninja Scroll always attracted the dumbest anime fans in clubs in my city. These acne covered 15 year olds would turn up to screenings I used to organise at my university and be like "mate, do you have stuff like ninja scroll? thats soooo good!!" . Then they`d walk out after 10 minutes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Once this guy at the university`s Japanese language club tried to organise an anime party featuring Ninja Scroll and invited all the Japanese girls. :rolleyes:

Just wish they made more of Jubei's life, i love the old Manga advertisements "We now have an INVINCILBLE HERO Jubei Kibagami!" lol love it love it, i gotta watch it now.

He is invincible. Never forget how he gets f;'d up though, gotta love the "kueljbleahhhh!" blood spuin from his mouth when Gemma smashes him.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

The Best of the Turtles too!

Always liked Ninja Scroll for what it was: An action bloodbath. Fun for that reason.

agreed... I always thought it was the best video game anime without having an actual VG to base it on, with Jubei going thru different bosses. It's better than trying to make a story out of Tekken.

But then again I'm not an anime fan, so the more "sophisticated" anime has never interested me... always came off as fanboyish and extremely geeky.