Warner Adapting Ninja Scroll

Morpheus

Warner Adapting Ninja Scroll

Warner Brothers has acquired the rights to turn the Japanese action-thriller anime Ninja Scroll into a live-action feature film, Variety reported. Alex Tse has been set to write the script.

The movie will be produced by Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way, with Jennifer Davisson Killoran and Mike Ireland producing. Appian is mounting the film as a co-production with Mad House.

Scroll, set in feudal Japan, revolves around a ninja for hire who is forced to fight an old enemy who will stop at nothing to overthrow the government. DiCaprio is not planning to act in the film.

Tse's recent credits include the Zack Snyder-directed Watchmen and the adaptation of Ray Bradbury's classic SF anthology The Illustrated Man, which Snyder is also planning to direct for Warner.

A samurai/ninja film potrayed by a non-Japanese is an epic-fail. :angry:

Where does it say that the role of Jubei will be played by a non-Japanese actor?

Oh, and I don't care who works on or eventually acts in this, it will abololutely fail...

Well, considering that most Japanese protagonists, Jubei for example, look about as Japanese as a Ford Mustang, I guess using a studly Western actor will be fine. Is Brad Pitt busy?

the funny thing is when I first joined here I asked if anyone knew of any Ninja Scroll toys... and everyone pretty much acted like it was the worst piece of anime crap there was... but now it's some holy artifact that shouldn't be desicrated. I think Hollywood is gonna shy from all the gore and sex that was in the cartoon, but if they do the fight scenes well enough, they can probably pull it off... depending on who's directing of course.

the funny thing is when I first joined here I asked if anyone knew of any Ninja Scroll toys... and everyone pretty much acted like it was the worst piece of anime crap there was... but now it's some holy artifact that shouldn't be desicrated. I think Hollywood is gonna shy from all the gore and sex that was in the cartoon, but if they do the fight scenes well enough, they can probably pull it off... depending on who's directing of course.

I still think it's a piece of crap

Isn't there a live action Afro Samurai in the works? That's the rumor I heard. I think there are a few exceptions, to that rule... but in general yes... the character should be Japanese and the actor should too (unless you're Tom Cruise lol)

I agree, hated it the first time I layed eyes on it. I discovered late night anime on Teletoon... they showed the first three volumes of Macross Plus... but then next week they showed Ninja Scroll. I didn't understand the 4 episode wasn't out yet.... all I knew was Ninja Scroll was disgusting.

that's my point though... anime isn't all sacred. Who cares if they made this or dragonball into a live action feature? It's crappy entertainment that all of a sudden becomes untouchable. I understand the over protective nature over a live action macross/robotech movie. This is macrossworld after all... but seriously? Ninja scroll? I happen to enjoy it but it's not going to offend me if McG squated down and squeezed out a live action piece of turd.

that's my point though... anime isn't all sacred. Who cares if they made this or dragonball into a live action feature? It's crappy entertainment that all of a sudden becomes untouchable. I understand the over protective nature over a live action macross/robotech movie. This is macrossworld after all... but seriously? Ninja scroll? I happen to enjoy it but it's not going to offend me if McG squated down and squeezed out a live action piece of turd.

The only time live-action adaptions of anime are acceptable is when they're made in Japan, because things from Japan are always better. Come on, you should know this.

EDIT: Looks like they've already released some shots of the VHS cover.

post-22-1225182478_thumb.jpg

Edited by yellowlightman

What's with Leo jumpin on all this anime propertiey? It's great to know that he is a fan and all but still first Akira and now this? Anyway i will with hold any judgement until i see more come out from the production side. I mean how many times have we all jumped on early and said "Movie X is going to suck" and then it turns out to be good? Granted usually they do suck but you never know how everything will turn out yet. But i will admit the general anime to american live action film sucess ratio is very low with pretty much Speed Racer being the only real decent movie i can think of to come out, the others sucked. But then we all said the same of comic movies before Blade and eventually X-men and Spiderman came out. Interesting to see how these films turn out.

Ninja Scroll thought me not to lick strange women lest you get poisoned. :lol:

It had its shock value during the time with full on violence and sex but other than that, its kinda meh.

weird, how can anyone dish out anything but praise for such a masterpiece? wankers!

I've been pushing for Revoltech or similar company to make Ninja Scroll toys for a while now. There is nothing out there!

The bright side we might get some finally, rather they kept with the anime styling though.

But yeah, the gore might be included though.

I think the reason why they try to adapt Ninja Scroll into live action movie is they consider Ninja Scroll among the most popular anime movies outside of Japan.

Well, if they make a true adaptation and not reducing the gore/violence, I might have a try.

I heard this on another forum, two things that Hollywood should never make: movie based on anime and games.

It's Ninja Scroll... I mean, not exactly some amazing piece of high art. Call me when Hollywood wants to adapt Royal Space Force.

You're going to be waiting a loooooooong time for THAT call.

Taksraven

The only time live-action adaptions of anime are acceptable is when they're made in Japan, because things from Japan are always better. Come on, you should know this.

EDIT: Looks like they've already released some shots of the VHS cover.

post-22-1225182478_thumb.jpg

Now that, is a Cannon Movie!

Well, maybe 10 years ago.

Not anymore.

Wait, there are people at Hollywood who are behind the times and slow on the uptake? I never knew. :lol:

Ninja Scroll thought me not to lick strange women lest you get poisoned. :lol:

The licking bit in Ninja Scroll caused no end of trouble here in Australia.

It was originally released here. Then some idiot complained about the sexual violence in the film (don't forget, regular violence is ok), so it's classification was withdrawn and when that happens in Australia a show is effectively banned. It was eventually rereleased with the "offending" material having been edited out.

My opinion, Ninja Scroll is not without its faults but it is still high art when compared to Legend of the Overfiend.

Now THAT is nasty anime.

Taksraven

(Would love to see a Hollywood remake of Overfiend though)

hmmm... I hope everybody is referring to Ninja Scroll the series, cause that sucked much @$$. Ninja Scroll the movie however was pretty bad @$$ and good animation for it's time. Pretty much non stop action all the way through. I still enjoy this movie.

Now I just read other news that was posted earlier this year that the Wachowski's are making a movie called ninja assassin which everybody seems to think it's a code for Ninja Scroll. They are saying this because the characters names in Ninja Assassin are the same as the names in Ninja Scroll. So I guess we'll have to wait and find out who's making what and when.

http://www.themovieblog.com/2008/02/ninja-...or-ninja-scroll

The licking bit in Ninja Scroll caused no end of trouble here in Australia.

It was originally released here. Then some idiot complained about the sexual violence in the film (don't forget, regular violence is ok), so it's classification was withdrawn and when that happens in Australia a show is effectively banned. It was eventually rereleased with the "offending" material having been edited out.

My opinion, Ninja Scroll is not without its faults but it is still high art when compared to Legend of the Overfiend.

Now THAT is nasty anime.

Taksraven

(Would love to see a Hollywood remake of Overfiend though)

Really? what did they edit out? i think i watched the un-cut first time and didn't end up seeing a cut version when it first came out. heh.

I got the anniverary dvd edition which is appartenly un-cut?

ahh yeah, overfiend that was what started it all. I liked the series for the fight scene where Boju (i think) goes up against Ceasar at the end.

i'll try and quote it!

heh that should do it.... hmmm?!

"I'm still here!" , "I am what they call the easter kyuooooo!"

RAHHHHH!!!

*Ceasar fails to blow up Boju*

This time you'll be gone for good!

"That's honest! Don't get too cocky... MUTha F*arrrrrrrrrrahhhhh!"

RAHHHH!!!!

"Come on then Ceasar you destiny is death!"

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

lol i loved that battle and good battle music score!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I liked Ninja Scroll and consider it a bright spot in a rough period.

A good way to describe it. Plus, its one of the best NON-SF anime that I have seen, even though it does include some elements that border on SF.

Taksraven

hmmm... I hope everybody is referring to Ninja Scroll the series, cause that sucked much @$$. Ninja Scroll the movie however was pretty bad @$$ and good animation for it's time. Pretty much non stop action all the way through. I still enjoy this movie.

Nope I was reffering to the movie, maybe it was because I was more uptight about "morality" in movies when I was in Jr. High... but I loathed Ninja Scroll, thought it was totally disgusting and senseless. Out of the anime that would commonly air on TV back when I first got space, Wings of Honneimase, Macross Plus, Gal Force, Galaxy Express 1 and 2, Patlabour 1 and 2, Dominion Tank Police (and some other one I forget), at least two of these would air every week for several months when I was in Jr High. And the only time I wasn't watching was when it turned out to be Ninja Scroll and/or Dominion Tank Police.

I will L-O-L if they do the scene of the news being delivered while the bad guy is doing the chic doggy style and pauses only for "yes? What is it?"

Nope I was reffering to the movie, maybe it was because I was more uptight about "morality" in movies when I was in Jr. High... but I loathed Ninja Scroll, thought it was totally disgusting and senseless. Out of the anime that would commonly air on TV back when I first got space, Wings of Honneimase, Macross Plus, Gal Force, Galaxy Express 1 and 2, Patlabour 1 and 2, Dominion Tank Police (and some other one I forget), at least two of these would air every week for several months when I was in Jr High. And the only time I wasn't watching was when it turned out to be Ninja Scroll and/or Dominion Tank Police.

Out of all those movies, I'd say Ninja Scrolls was the only proper candidate to be turned into a live action film.