Macross Chronicle Translations

Gubaba

And to think I didn't even know what a Boundary Layer Control System even was before I started this...(I sent a rather panicked message to Azrael, giving him the kanji and saying that I had gotten "Boundary Layer Control" out of it...did he happen to know what the real name for this was? He sent back the wikipedia entry on BLCS).

As frustrating and slow-going as this page has been, it's also had some nice educational value. ^_^

Unfortunately, they'll never know how much of a headache it is to translate tech jargon. ^_^

All you guys have been doing great work on these translations and I do appreciate how time consuming and hard work it must be.

Gubaba is my personal hero for tackling the VF-25S page.

As we discussed a few pages back is there a possibility of editing the VF-25 gunpod paragraph.

Graham

All you guys have been doing great work on these translations and I do appreciate how time consuming and hard work it must be.

Gubaba is my personal hero for tackling the VF-25S page.

As we discussed a few pages back is there a possibility of editing the VF-25 gunpod paragraph.

Graham

Thanks. I'm just sorry that it's taking so damn long.

I edited the part about front armor plate, and I'll edit the part about the gunpod being able to used by either arm as soon as I can get confirmation on what it actually means.

And i don't want to delay the VF-25S page any longer, so I'll finish it first, but after that (i.e. before I finish the Zentradi page), I deifnitely want to tackle the Megaroad-01 page. Looks like there's some good stuff there.

Quickie scanlation of Chronicle Worldguide 05a: Varoota Forces

http://www.macrossroleplay.org/forums/index.php?topic=2063.0

Not sure if I'll be able to revisit it and do a proper translation later.

housekeeping:

currently translating: mechanic DYRL UN 08a: ARMD

random observation: the ARMD sheet only mentions info directly pertaining to DYRL. I'm not going to bother with any more DYRL sheets for the time being. Not worth the effort.

Translated but not typed up:

Mechanic: SDF:M UNS 15a Space Destroyer

Technology: 01a Variable Fighter

Mechanic Sheet: SDF:M, UNS 09a: Military Vehicles

Subsequent sheets I'm interested in translating:

mechanic SDFM UN 08a: MBR-04-Mk VI Tomahawk; SDFM UN 11a: HWR-00- Mk II Monster; SDFM UN 12a: SLV-111 Daedalus; SDF:M Zentraedi 06a Furubusu Barensu Class; SDF:M Zentraedi 10a Factory Satellite; FB UN 01a: SDF-2 Megaroad-01; M7 UN 14a: Macross 5 Fleet; D7 UNS 01a: VF-5000

History M7 02a: Varuta Martial attack

tech Variable fighter 01b; Destroid 02a; Super Long Range Emigration Fleets 03a; EX Gear (Extender Gear) 11a

David Hingtgen

I figured it was something like that, but didn't know enough to go further. Thanks.

Gubaba

Yeah, I think education may have been Kawamori's intention. He's always injecting these references to aeronautical terms which he knows will pique the interest of readers to research and/or ask about them. :)

Thanks again for your translations. I've looked at the VF-25S page in issue #10, and the arrow pointing to the Boundary Layer Control System is really of no use. I think they are on the wings, like DH posted above.

sketchley

Ah, numbers at last for the Octos.

Hmmm, those Varauta figures look weird. What happened to the 70,000 figure, I wonder?

Every BLC exhaust slot I can think of is right ahead of the flap's leading edge---and they can be SMALL. I think some slots are only 2mm thick (MiG-21)----basically impossible to tell a BLC-equipped flap from a normal one.

I think the caption is talking more about the BLC intake-- it's just that the wording doesn't give any firm indication as to where the intakes are.

That's part of the problem---I don't know any BLC with an intake. Well, technically, the original air source would be the engine's intake. IMHO, what is being described as a "BLC" is not, and would be better served by the "active air flow control" terms we've seen before.

Still, I've never liked any of the extra slits Kawamori likes to put near the intakes, ESPECIALLY when they're said to involve control and not be merely a simple intake for some cooling etc.

That's part of the problem---I don't know any BLC with an intake. Well, technically, the original air source would be the engine's intake. IMHO, what is being described as a "BLC" is not, and would be better served by the "active air flow control" terms we've seen before.

Still, I've never liked any of the extra slits Kawamori likes to put near the intakes, ESPECIALLY when they're said to involve control and not be merely a simple intake for some cooling etc.

Oh well, one of life's imponderable little mysteries then.

I started in on the Gerwalk section:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...mp;#entry695196

However, nearly everything after the first sentence is an approximation, because I can barely understand (let alone translate) the following ungodly sentence:

パイロット筋電流からその無意識運動を測定し、思考の延長線上で操縦できる(コンセプトはYF-21のBDIシステムに近い)ため、機体の一部だけを変形させて空力制御を行うといった複雑な操縦も可能で、ガウォーク形態もそれ自体の利点を求めて運用されるだけでなく、機動の一環で利用されるケースがみられた。

Yes, that is all one sentence, several of the kanji compunds aren't in either my kanji dictionary or my kana dictionary, I can't keep track of the modifying phrases, and it seems like most of the verbs are passive.

If I ever meet the guy who wrote this page, I'm going to punch him in the nose.

In other words, any help would be appreciated.

Quickie http://tool.nifty.com/globalgate/ translation:

"Complicated operation of changing some bodies and performing empty force control since the unconscious movement is measured from pilot sources current and it can control on the extension of thinking (a concept is close to the BDI system of YF-21) is also possible. A GAWOKU form is not only also employed in quest of the advantage of itself, but the case used by a part of movement was seen."

(Funny how it breaks that into two sentences...)

Quickie http://tool.nifty.com/globalgate/ translation:

"Complicated operation of changing some bodies and performing empty force control since the unconscious movement is measured from pilot sources current and it can control on the extension of thinking (a concept is close to the BDI system of YF-21) is also possible. A GAWOKU form is not only also employed in quest of the advantage of itself, but the case used by a part of movement was seen."

(Funny how it breaks that into two sentences...)

Thanks! I still feel as if I'm looking at this sentence through a glass darkly, though.

Let me work on it for a while more and see if anything becomes clear...

If I ever meet the guy who wrote this page, I'm going to punch him in the nose.

Forgot to add this: even the wife (Japanese, native speaker), has mentioned, on numerous occasions, that the kanji terms used (and sometimes even the phrasing of the sentences!) are unusual and non-standard. There have been many a time when she's been able to tell me the reading, but has idea what it means. (For some reason, the "seeding" kanji of Macross's Emigration plan is coming to mind.)

These are usually after I ask her about how to read a kanji combination as it's not in my kanji book and I want to see if it's in the electronic dictionary (which it often is not.) Luckily, we have http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dict and http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi , as I don't want to bring out my Kanji tome (a Korean kanji book that has readings in Korean, Japanese, two kinds of Chinese (!) and occasionally in English.) It's a pretty scary book, as it's got ALL 214 radicals and kanji organized by radical!

Nevertheless, I've come to the opinion that Macross Chronicle is difficult for even the average Japanese native speaker to read. Is it possible that we're attempting to translate the "Star Trek: the Next Generation" version of technobabble for the Japanese?!?

Edited by sketchley

Nevertheless, I've come to the opinion that Macross Chronicle is difficult for even the average Japanese native speaker to read. Is it possible that we're attempting to translate the "Star Trek: the Next Generation" version of technobabble for the Japanese?!?

I suspect it's something like that...could you imagine trying to translate Han Solo saying "Hand me the hydro-spanner" into another language? You'd probably look it up say "'Hydro' means 'water'? That can't be right..."

パイロット筋電流からその無意識運動を測定し、思考の延長線上で操縦できる(コンセプトはYF-21のBDIシステムに近い)ため、機体の一部だけを変形させて空力制御を行うといった複雑な操縦も可能で、ガウォーク形態もそれ自体の利点を求めて運用されるだけでなく、機動の一環で利用されるケースがみられた。

I'll have a go.

Because it can be maneouvered through an extension of the pilot's thoughts (a concept similar to the YF-21's BDI system) by determining his subliminal/subconscious through the muscles' electrical pulses [dunno the actual English term for this, apparently it's not "neurones"], complex maneouvers are possible, such as transformation of only one part of the craft while hovering; thus GERWALK mode is used not only for its own advantages, but as part of mobility.

Yeah, I don't really get the "part of mobility" thing.

I'll have a go.

Because it can be maneouvered through an extension of the pilot's thoughts (a concept similar to the YF-21's BDI system) by determining his subliminal/subconscious through the muscles' electrical pulses [dunno the actual English term for this, apparently it's not "neurones"], complex maneouvers are possible, such as transformation of only one part of the craft while hovering; thus GERWALK mode is used not only for its own advantages, but as part of mobility.

Yeah, I don't really get the "part of mobility" thing.

Good ob! It's a a real b*tch of a sentence, isn't it?

For the "part of mobility," I figure it's when mobility is the part you need the most, i.e. more than strength or firepower.

I also don't get the "transformation of only one part." But "hovering" Is THAT what 空力制御 means? What a complicated way to say it...later on the page, just just say ホヴァーリング, which is much easier.

Good ob! It's a a real b*tch of a sentence, isn't it?

For the "part of mobility," I figure it's when mobility is the part you need the most, i.e. more than strength or firepower.

I also don't get the "transformation of only one part." But "hovering" Is THAT what 空力制御 means? What a complicated way to say it...later on the page, just just say ホヴァーリング, which is much easier.

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dict spits out:

制御【せいぎょ】

(n,vs) control; governing; checking; suppression; repression; restraint; mastery; management;

but 空力? Not in the dictionary! The most logical would be disuse/unused power.

Leading to "unused power control". ?

Nifty translates it as "empty force control", and Excite gives us "Aerodynamic control".

If it's this last one... maybe it's a reduction of a larger Kanji? (Which is a frikken b;tch for us non-native speakers! >.<;;;)

http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dict spits out:

制御【せいぎょ】

(n,vs) control; governing; checking; suppression; repression; restraint; mastery; management;

but 空力? Not in the dictionary! The most logical would be disuse/unused power.

Leading to "unused power control". ?

Nifty translates it as "empty force control", and Excite gives us "Aerodynamic control".

If it's this last one... maybe it's a reduction of a larger Kanji? (Which is a frikken b;tch for us non-native speakers! >.<;;;)

I thought it was "air power." But that's just a guess.

I'm going to make a guess.

If they are talking about "one part" transforming, could they be referring to the EX-Gear system allowing the pilot to transform something like a single arm without transforming the entire valkyrie into another mode? The one armed fighter perhaps? This would allow the pilot to manipulate his environment with the arm while operating in fighter mode. Perhaps what Mikhail did when he latched onto the Vajra mothership for a ride in fold space?

"Part of mobility" just sounds to me like manipulation of the environment using the Battroid hands/arms. The advantages of GERWALK mode are hovering and extreme responsive maneuverability (like an attack helicopter) but the GERWALK mode also allows the valkyrie to act like a half-robot, manipulating whatever objects it wishes with it's hands/arms much like we humans do with our own hands/arms.

Maybe?

Edited by Mr March

If they are talking about "one part" transforming, could they be referring to the EX-Gear system allowing the pilot to transform something like a single arm without transforming the entire valkyrie into another mode? The one armed fighter perhaps? This would allow the pilot to manipulate his environment with the arm while operating in fighter mode. Perhaps what Mikhail did when he latched onto the Vajra mothership for a ride in fold space?

"Part of mobility" just sounds to me like manipulation of the environment using the Battroid hands/arms. The advantages of GERWALK mode are hovering and extreme responsive maneuverability (like an attack helicopter) but the GERWALK mode also allows the valkyrie to act like a half-robot, manipulating whatever objects it wishes with it's hands/arms much like we humans do with our own hands/arms.

Maybe?

Sounds good to me.

Oh, and barring any more impossible kanji combinations or serpentine Proustian sentences, I might actually finish the page today. ^_^

Maybe?

That sounds about right, since we know that for the VF-1, transforming to Gerwalk is pressing a button or pulling a lever, or for the VF-0, changing the angle of the joysticks-- so you can only choose fighter, battroid or gerwalk, not fighter with an arm sticking out or anything like that. This could also tie in with the faster transformation times of the VF-25-- all you need is the nerve impulse rather than actually making an action with your muscles. The nerve impulse could be what all the references to 'electricity' or 'electrical' mean-- and SK may have been inspired by the advances in active prosthetics and things like that. This could also explain why Alto and Luca still wear their 'traitorous' SMS flightsuits when in NUNS service-- beyond the fact that flightsuits are tailored, the EX-Gear suits must be tuned to the nerve impulses of the individual pilot, which takes a much longer time!

Edited by edwin3060

Um, yeah. At least, I hope it was clear that that's what I meant. I mean, nerve impulses ARE electric, right?

Yes and no-- they are electrical in the sense that there is a movement of charge, however the charges involved are calcium and potassium ions instead of electrons, and there is no net movement of charge, just a propagation wave of charges moving across the nerve cell membrane. And that's not even getting into the role of synapses. Suffice to say, an electrical field is indeed generated, which can be detected by sensors outside of the body, like in a suit, or, in current technology, those electrodes they stick on your skin when you go in the hospital.

Well, after more than a month and a half, the VF-25S page is complete!

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...100#entry695196

I don't mind continuing with VF-25S through the B, C, D, E, and however many more pages they decide to bestow on us, but if someone else wants to tackle the 25F, 25G, or the RVF as they come out, I'll be grateful.

Anyway, next up is the Megaroad-01, followed by the long-awaited completion of the Zentradi page, and a little surprise. ;)

Anyway, next up is the Megaroad-01, followed by the long-awaited completion of the Zentradi page, and a little surprise. ;)

Let me guess, commentaries on Mylene fashion. ^_^

Keep up the good work Gubaba B))

Darn it! I wanted to tackle the Megaroad-01!

Nevertheless, you got first dibs (by a matter of mere minutes >.> )... so, looks like I'll be tackling the Macross 5 fleet after I finish the DYRL ARMD sheet (later tonight, fingers crossed.)

Back to that evil sentence:

起動 I translated as Mobility. Could be maneouverability, basically, it's about the whole craft moving around. You could say that Gerwalk is the mode in which the craft is the most manouverable, right?

And the "transform part of the craft" bit, is possibly referring to transforming only one arm or something, while the rest is in Fighter mode.

As for hovering, I learned 制御from watching sci-fi anime, and more often than not it means some controlling system, like in Orguss's anti-gravity system, which believe it or not was called the 慣性制御システム (literally, inertia-control?).

空力 literally means air-power if you split it up, but I just put two and two together, and combined that with the 制御and it sounds like that's what they're trying to say. What was the name of the anti-gravity system in the first couple of eps of SDF Mac? Was it 重力制御システム or something? That may give us a clue.

Shouldn't 起動 be start-up/activation? See http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dose...%AE&WC=none

From my experiences, 機動 (yes, both are phonetically きどう... which complicates things) is manuever(ability). See http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dose...%AE&WC=none

Edited by sketchley

Man, I wish I knew enough japanese to be able to help out. I'm definitely envious of your skills!

I've been studying for about 6 months now, and even know 2000 or so kanji, but I'm still a long ways off from be being able to read real japanese.

But when my skills get up to par, I've got a Macross translation project planned that should be of interest to many around here :)

Shouldn't 起動 be start-up/activation? See http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dose...%AE&WC=none

From my experiences, 機動 (yes, both are phonetically きどう... which complicates things) is manuever(ability). See http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dose...%AE&WC=none

Aw, crap, I mis-typed that kanji in the last post. Don't worry, I meant 機動, and that's how I tranlated it, so I think it's Ok. B))