Who was your favourite Macross Frontier character?

taksraven

Favourite Macross Frontier Character.  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you like best?

• Ranka Lee
    • Sheryl Nome
    • Alto Saotome
    • Michael Blanc
    • Luca Angelloni
    • Nanase Matsuura
    • Ozma Lee
    • Canaria Berstein
    • Klan Klan
    • Jeffrey Wilder
    • Bobby Margot
    • Richard Bilrer
    • Cathy Glass
    • Leon Mishima
    • Grace O'Connor
    • Brera Sterne
    • Monica Lange
    • Mina Roshan
    • Ram Hoa
    • Tehmzin

oh HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL no.

i hate it when they pull stuff like that, almost every other character loses out in one way or another to make room for that sort of thing

Yeah, but that sort of thing goes on a lot more than people realise.

Yeah, but that sort of thing goes on a lot more than people realise.

and it's not necessarily so bad. as with any work of fiction, it's a work-in-process. things change midstream. if writers stuck to the original outline from when they started, and disregarded sudden inspirational thoughts and characters, a lot of masterpieces might not have been made as they are.

oh HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL no.

i hate it when they pull stuff like that, almost every other character loses out in one way or another to make room for that sort of thing

I would hazard a guess that Brera got the brunt of the loss :p I seriously don't mind them adding more Sheryl to the story. I wonder what would have happened if Ohnogi had the control of all the characters and how they reacted to situations that Kawamori wrote.

Okay I will stand and put a target on myself by saying that Alto is not a bad character. He's not as deep as some but I feel that he did not make many of the mistakes that are done by others. He didn't run away, he didn't cry about how he didn't want to hurt anyone and war is so unfair, and he did his best to protect the fleet.

I think he gets a lot of flak due to if someone likes Ranka then they bash him for any scenes he had with Sherly, and reverse that for any Sherly shippers. So if 50% of fans like Ranka and 50% are for Sherly, does that mean that there is 100% Alto bashing? :D

Haven't voted, but Capt'n Wilder gets points for having the brass ones to go pirate when the going gets tough.

--dives into foxhole and pulls helmet down--

hey I never said how long I would stand and take fire :D

I'll definitely back you up and say Alto is an interesting character. He is the main character in an anime, which means he is targeted straight at 13-18 year-old kids. As such, he's not that interesting as an adult. But his character arc is good and Alto is a fine role model, just like Hikaru was. Most of us on MW have long since grown from child to adult, so that teen-to-young adult journey no longer holds much appeal other than a trip down memory lane. Still, I can appreciate Alto for what he is and quite frankly, he is a lot of fun to cheer on and laugh at (the best comedy in the show was at Alto's expense; "Excuse me miss, can I interest you in a dress?") :)

I also appreciate that Kawamori and Co. best utilized Alto's necessary character design. Yes, Alto is drawn to attract the current anime audience and he reflects the popular character design style of our times. But his looks were also a disadvantage in his chosen line of work (the military). Alto had to suffer through harassment because of his looks and he was often the butt of many a joke. Yet he carried onward in spite of it all. It's a good message for younger viewers, many of whom suffer from exposure to the ideal of what they should look like in modern media. Here's a character that has it all, but his looks are a detriment to his dream of flying but he tries in spite of it; young people can learn to accept that they may not have great looks but can succeed as long as they try.

Alto also stumbled more than a few times and is a flawed character, just like many young adolescents. Alto does look the fool from an adult perspective, but to many younger people, he is all too familiar. Again, it important to understand that Alto's journey is for the young audience and not the older viewer.

I think he made a good Macross protaganist but as an older viewer he just doesn't hold my attention as much. Still, he was definitely one of the more interesting characters in the show.

Okay I will stand and put a target on myself by saying that Alto is not a bad character. He's not as deep as some but I feel that he did not make many of the mistakes that are done by others. He didn't run away, he didn't cry about how he didn't want to hurt anyone and war is so unfair, and he did his best to protect the fleet.

I think he gets a lot of flak due to if someone likes Ranka then they bash him for any scenes he had with Sherly, and reverse that for any Sherly shippers. So if 50% of fans like Ranka and 50% are for Sherly, does that mean that there is 100% Alto bashing? :D

Haven't voted, but Capt'n Wilder gets points for having the brass ones to go pirate when the going gets tough.

--dives into foxhole and pulls helmet down--

hey I never said how long I would stand and take fire :D

the concept of Alto isn't bad, but the execution is.

what it comes down to is alto's development is to subtle at the beginning and in the third act to fast.

you could sum up alto as being the angry teen rebelling against his father and running away from himself. he's more than that but you have to dig for it.

the concept of Alto isn't bad, but the execution is.

what it comes down to is alto's development is to subtle at the beginning and in the third act to fast.

you could sum up alto as being the angry teen rebelling against his father and running away from himself. he's more than that but you have to dig for it.

But by the end of the series, I think we get the sense that his reason for fighting is simply more than just rebelling against his dad. It's an interesting juxtaposition that here's someone who claimed to hate Frontier (or Island type ships in general) is now fighting for its very survival.

Edited by d3v

But by the end of the series, I think we get the sense that his reason for fighting is simply more than just rebelling against his dad. It's an interesting juxtaposition that here's someone who claimed to hate Frontier (or Island type ships in general) is now fighting for its very survival.

like i said the development was too subtle(well at least in the first two acts) and when the third(and last) act hit, all his development was rushed. we know what his problem and his evolution is but there is not enough meat to invest in Alto's character as they say.

LOL. Nanase still sitting on one vote and we all know EXACTLY WHO cast that vote. ;) I guess that means that the person who voted gets Nanase all to himself.

Taksraven

5 pages, and Alto only have 1 votes. :lol:

What, only 1 person to vote for Nanase? What happen to her fans club? Does being paralyzed in the last few episodes makes her fan abandon her? Or because Luca stole a kiss from her, poor Nanase. :mellow:

LOL. Nanase still sitting on one vote and we all know EXACTLY WHO cast that vote. ;) I guess that means that the person who voted gets Nanase all to himself.

Taksraven

Who could it be? :lol:

5 pages, and Alto only have 1 votes. :lol:

He really isnt likeable.

I voted for Ranka; although was torn between here and Alto.

Micheal, sadly, is my least favorite character. I write sadly because of his tragic fate. But then again, Kakizake wasn't exactly on my list of "I love that guy!" either - he wasn't even really comic relief as much as he was just a big, dense guy whose main purpose was to show that being blustery and cocky doesn't mean you're actually good at something, and that having a "gloryhound" view of war isn't healthy... although - in the end, at least he was a good comrade and he liked to EAT; and that's a big plus in my book. I'm being too hard on him...

And I'm going off topic... eerrr... Michael I didn't like because he was a) always being unnecessarily hard on Alto, b) running away from love, c) running away from his problems... also - the sister thing never got solved - it just hangs there and now there isn't even any family left to try to learn what happened to her...

Um... but back to Ranka...

As much as I liked Alto, I think Ranka was the deepest character; she had the most development; the most at stake - this was the Ranka Lee show pretty much and if you completely didn't like Ranka, you were not going to love Macross: Frontier IMO.

She is a spunky, good hearted, modest girl with big dreams caught up in an even bigger situation and she really comes into her own by the end of the series.

In fact - I just realized this: she IS JUST LIKE HIKARU!

Hikaru starts out as this spunky kid, just like Ranka, who is basically surrounded by important people but is himself, like Ranka, totally NOT IMPORTANT.

Slowly, he matures alongside his sempai, his commanding officer and his comrades and ends up surpassing all of them in many ways - just like Ranka.

So - I would venture to say that, in spite of the appearance of Alto being the star of Frontier, it was actually Ranka - her story was the crux, the main story - and her character was the driving force of the series.

And she's cute and her songs are better too so nia nia nia :p

Pete

Micheal, sadly, is my least favorite character. I write sadly because of his tragic fate. But then again, Kakizake wasn't exactly on my list of "I love that guy!" either - he wasn't even really comic relief as much as he was just a big, dense guy whose main purpose was to show that being blustery and cocky doesn't mean you're actually good at something, and that having a "gloryhound" view of war isn't healthy... although - in the end, at least he was a good comrade and he liked to EAT; and that's a big plus in my book. I'm being too hard on him...

And I'm going off topic... eerrr... Michael I didn't like because he was a) always being unnecessarily hard on Alto, b) running away from love, c) running away from his problems... also - the sister thing never got solved - it just hangs there and now there isn't even any family left to try to learn what happened to her...

As much as I liked Alto, I think Ranka was the deepest character; she had the most development; the most at stake - this was the Ranka Lee show pretty much and if you completely didn't like Ranka, you were not going to love Macross: Frontier IMO.

She is a spunky, good hearted, modest girl with big dreams caught up in an even bigger situation and she really comes into her own by the end of the series.

Hikaru starts out as this spunky kid, just like Ranka, who is basically surrounded by important people but is himself, like Ranka, totally NOT IMPORTANT.

Slowly, he matures alongside his sempai, his commanding officer and his comrades and ends up surpassing all of them in many ways - just like Ranka.

So - I would venture to say that, in spite of the appearance of Alto being the star of Frontier, it was actually Ranka - her story was the crux, the main story - and her character was the driving force of the series.

Pete

I told you, Ranka and Sheryl are the main character :lol: I don't care if the Movie cut Alto completely.

Pete

Yes everyone is replaceable except her. Its her show. :lol:

snip

Pete

ummm... what show were you watching again? just kidding...

honestly though, while Ranka's story is itself the crux of the series, ranka as a character leaves me kind of unsatisfied. I suppose that's because she was pretty much predictable to me in terms of how she reacted to most situations. Perhaps I might be being too critical of her, but she never really transcended her fictional being in a way in which I could connect to her. Of the rest of the cast, Sheryl was the first to transcend from being a merely fictional character into a believable, real individual for me. Alto was not far behind (partially because I saw much of my younger self in him - I used to be just as dense, aloof to all but a few and hard-headed... some say I still am at almost 38 years of age). much of the secondary cast was able to connect with me on a higher level than ranka as well. perhaps they were able to do so for the simple fact that no character in the show aside from ranka had character shielding... I just dont know.

Taksraven

ALL RIGHT!!!

"Hey Luca, do you like apples?" ^_^

EDIT: On second thought...I guess I shouldn't be so happy. My favorite character is unpopular. :(

But I guess that's what you get for liking a character who spends the last few episodes in a coma. At least Asuka got to kick some major ass in End of Evangelion...maybe in the Macross F movie, Nanase will come out of the coma early, commandeer Luca's VF, and single-handedly destroy Battle Galaxy before getting ripped into gooey little chunks by some Vajra under Grace's control... :p

Edited by Gubaba

EDIT: On second thought...I guess I shouldn't be so happy. My favorite character is unpopular. sad.gif

There there. Nana isn't unpopular.

I have it on good authority that Macross: Frontier the Movie will be a re-telling of the entire story from the point of view of Luca. He goes to school and falls in love with a beautiful purple haired girl and tries his durdest to be the best SMS pilot he can just to impress her.

Everything will be done from this angle.

And we'll see that Nana sings in the shower and in fact it is HER song which wins in the end of the day.

Fell better now?

Pete

There there. Nana isn't unpopular.

I have it on good authority that Macross: Frontier the Movie will be a re-telling of the entire story from the point of view of Luca. He goes to school and falls in love with a beautiful purple haired girl and tries his durdest to be the best SMS pilot he can just to impress her.

Everything will be done from this angle.

And we'll see that Nana sings in the shower and in fact it is HER song which wins in the end of the day.

Fell better now?

Pete

*sniff* Okay...thanks. *wipes nose and blinks back tears*

But will we finally get to see the Vajra beauty men...?

It all started here...with VFTF1's trip to the far-flung future of late September 2008 (although, in retorspect, it appears that he went to a parallel universe...).

I'm pretty sure he just ODed on something while listening to Fire Bomber!

I'm pretty sure he just ODed on something while listening to Fire Bomber!

Actually, since I listen to Fire Bomber on my MP3 Soundwave (spark blue), drugs had nothing to do with it. Soundwave just happened to transform, after having gotten a message from Time Traveling grey Galvatron (E Hobby/Target: 2006 version) who reminded him to please give back his time jump devise. Upon learning that Soundwave had one of those, I asked him to pretty please use it to time jump us into the near future, so I could learn the ending of Macross Frontier.

So you see, no drugs.

Pete

With the exception of Alto and Cathy I like the main cast. For me the triangle never really worked as I totally can't relate to Alto. I found Ranka much more interesting. The series would have been better if Ranka had been the male lead instead of Alto. The love triangle would have been between him, Sheryl and Klan Klan ^_^ . A more equal mach up imo. Klan has much of the charm that Misa had in SDFM and she is my fav from Mac F.

What happened to the vajra? Can't I pick them? :lol:

I really couldn't pick any ONE character. The ones I wanted to like I couldn't relate to, and the ones I COULD relate to I DIDN'T LIKE!

At first I liked Alto, but his lack of character development made me lose interest. I liked Ranka better than Sheryl, but started hating her near the end. And last it was hard for me to warm up to Sheryl, so liking her never really happened.

GOOD GRIEF!

But for the poll's sake, I'll pick Sheryl.