Bandai Origin of Valkyrie 1/55 News Thread

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Are you still interested in Chunky Monkeys?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. do they still rule?

• Yes, I'm going to collect the new line and toynami's Robotech updated ones
    • I'm going to buy only Bandai's line
    • I'm only getting the Robotech line with the new heads
    • No I'm over it.

On topic: I never had a 1/55 before but by the looks of it, it's truly an awesome piece of work, really looking forward to the new 1J with heat shield, yep, that should be my first one :)

Off topic: I really think misterryno hasn't done anything that warrants a warning, save that he shows a lot of enthusiasm for something that we all care and love about. I do agree with eriku, miriya and macrossman that perhaps... the warning was given out unjustly. I really don't agree that his affirmative posts of "Wow neat!" or "QFT" are considered spamming because I've seen a LOT of people here do it in almost every toy or model thread and they're not issued any sort of warnings at all. If a public upset was given, perhaps a public apology is warranted as well?

Can someone explain me what this series is about? Are they reissues or new molds made old style? And are they out yet? I'd like to get the Hikaru version... Is this the one I should be getting or?

Reissues, the one you linked is from 2001 and does not have the swappable heat shield. The arm mold is slightly different from the vintage versions, thats about it, and most of the details are painted on instead of having to use stickers. The current Origin of Valkyrie VF-1J has the heat shield, and stickers for the landing gear doors, otherwise its identical.

Can someone explain me what this series is about? Are they reissues or new molds made old style? And are they out yet? I'd like to get the Hikaru version... Is this the one I should be getting or?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robotech-Macross-Banda...id=p3286.c0.m14

This line is a reissue of the 2001 line which was a reissue of the 1984 (I think) line. The only difference between the 2001 line and this line for the 1J Hikaru is that this time around you will get a heatshield. And that makes getting the brand new one worth it. If you do not care about getting a heatshield then just get the 2001 release like in the eBay link.

:ph34r:

This line is a reissue of the 2001 line which was a reissue of the 1984 (I think) line. The only difference between the 2001 line and this line for the 1J Hikaru is that this time around you will get a heatshield. And that makes getting the brand new one worth it. If you do not care about getting a heatshield then just get the 2001 release like in the eBay link.

EDIT---> too funny that Shin and I wrote pretty much the same thing at the same time. But obviously he is a faster typer. ^_^

JUST SO YOU KNOW I DID NOT MEAN TO REPLY I MEANT TO EDIT AND JUST NOW NOTICED THAT IT WAS A REPLY INSTEAD! SORRY!

Edited by misterryno

Off topic: I really think misterryno hasn't done anything that warrants a warning, save that he shows a lot of enthusiasm for something that we all care and love about. I do agree with eriku, miriya and macrossman that perhaps... the warning was given out unjustly. I really don't agree that his affirmative posts of "Wow neat!" or "QFT" are considered spamming because I've seen a LOT of people here do it in almost every toy or model thread and they're not issued any sort of warnings at all. If a public upset was given, perhaps a public apology is warranted as well?

Thank you for putting in your 2 cents. It is MUCH appreciated! If someone wants to apologize to me I will surely accept.

misterryno,

DA isn't going to throw you out or anything, but it is annoying. Try to have more substance in your posts.. Otherwise you are the annoying guy, and you don't want to be that.

Thank you for putting in your 2 cents. It is MUCH appreciated! If someone wants to apologize to me I will surely accept.

Just curious. I started out looking for a G1 Jetfire back in Jauary of this year until I found the Yamato toys. I'm all for nostalgia and all, but there's no way I would pay for one of these with exception of VF-1D, Super Ostrich, and Elint. After finding sexy Yamatos, the chunky just lost its appeal as far as I'm concerned. Would love to own the later three from 1984, but that's a far stretch. Closest thing I'll get is if these are re-released.

That being said, what is it that you guys like about the Chunkies because them being so stout?

:huh:

OO

misterryno,

DA isn't going to throw you out or anything, but it is annoying. Try to have more substance in your posts.. Otherwise you are the annoying guy, and you don't want to be that.

I'n not worried about him throwing me out or anything....that would be ludicrous. I will try to have more substance with my posts though. Duly noted. And if I am that annoying guy.....alot more people seem to like it then the ones who don't ^_^ .

That being said, what is it that you guys like about the Chunkies because them being so stout?

Its because of durability, and because it looks so damn good. This is probably a shock to you all, but while Yamato definitely has the most accurate VF-1 toys, the chunky is no slouch in my opinion. Its not the most accurate but it looks damn good. Its not horribly inaccurate like the smaller scale Gakken Legioss toys were(the 1/72 and others), and compared to recent transforming jet robot toys(Transformers movie Starscream, Classics Silverbolt, et al), the chunky can still hold its own. For its time it was highly articulate, and now the only thing that I would want more would be ball jointed or universal joint hips. Its not just one thing about the chunky, its definitely a combination. When I look at it, I see a wonderful approximation of a VF-1, not a horrible, inaccurate mess that barely looks like the animation model. Back during its time, we had DX chogokins and g1 transformers, and more often than not, the alt or robot modes would be horribly inaccurate. This is more of a problem for transformers than the vintage chogokin DX toys. However neither were as articulated as the chunky.

It was a well made toy for its time, and it still looks awesome now. I cannot say the same for many other toys of the same era. It is definitely a timeless toy, and those are rare, I put G.I. Joe:A Real American Hero, the late end of G2 Transformers and a few other toys into that category.

OO

I think it is nostalgia for a lot of people. For me that is a major factor for loving the chunky. Another factor for me is that it is insanely sturdy. I let my 3&1/2 year old son play with mine and I have no fear of it breaking. I can fly it around like crazy and transform it back in forth in under a minute with my eyes closed, so that is the playability factor.

That said, I much preffer the yamatos for their perfect sexy shape, that hot sculpt, and sultry design. They are the ultimate in valkness. Gorgeous works of art they are. But I do sweat when transforming them, do not let my son play with them, and it takes me anywhere from 10 minutes to a half an hour to transform them. For the most part I put my Yamato's on display and change the poses only occasionally. My chunkey monkey stays in the living room table to be played with daily.

For me, those are the main differences.

Just curious. I started out looking for a G1 Jetfire back in Jauary of this year until I found the Yamato toys. I'm all for nostalgia and all, but there's no way I would pay for one of these with exception of VF-1D, Super Ostrich, and Elint. After finding sexy Yamatos, the chunky just lost its appeal as far as I'm concerned. Would love to own the later three from 1984, but that's a far stretch. Closest thing I'll get is if these are re-released.

I share much of your thinking and feeling on this one, Macross Man.

Here's how I "explain" it to myself - IF I were not into Gundams, Soul of Chogokin, Transformers, Revoltech, Girls, Pizza, Yammies and life in general ALL AT THE SAME TIME - I would get the chunkies.

But when I consider that my limits are basically "set" around the above - something would have to be sacrificed for the Chunkies... and I can't really bring myself to sacrifice any thing else.

I mean - obviously I'm not going to give up Yamato to get chunkies- to me - that's senseless.

Giving up SOC to get chunkies? Pointless - I already have the Yamato Valkyrie which are the best...giving up SOC to also have chunkies would be like giving up bowling when you already have a wife....err...wait...pointless analogy...but...err... I like the variety and build of SOC - not going to give it up for chunky versions of Yammies...

The same goes for all the rest...

So, it's not a matter of me not wanting the chunkies - it's more a matter of - what would I rather have? Two chunkies, or...say... more of the upcoming 1/60 V.2 from Yamato?

Questions like that - for me -a nswer themselves.

Pete

Toonz or Lonewolf, are the stickers for the stripe/kite on the side of the nose on the VF-1A, or are they left off of the Origin of Valkyrie versions? All the skull squadron valks from 2002 had the black stripe/kite sticker already applied.

I don't know, I still haven't received my Max Super 1A yet.

misterryno,

...and you were banned from this forum for how long? ;)

I think Mods who annonymously give members insulting titles fit the 'annoying guy' profile more than someone who's just a super-fan.

I think Mods who annonymously give members insulting titles fit the 'annoying guy' profile more than someone who's just a super-fan.

Ooooooooo that's me!!! I'm a SUPER-FAN!!!

OO

In answer to your question brother.....my answer is closely matched by both Miriya and Shins....it's not that I don't enjoy a Yamato valk....it's just that a Chunky has a design that was created over 25 years ago....it looks fantastic still....and is to date the MOST durable valk out there. The V.2 1/60 is the first valk to even come close to matching the Chunky in durability. That is only one of many reasons I LOVE THE CHUNKY!

OO

AgentOne knew exactly what the possible repercussions were for what he did to be banned. He has accepted that fact and the reasoning and we've moved on.

Eriku - you've been here as long as I have. You out of all who are now chiming in know I don't act without reason and know the people who merit "custom" titles are wrist slaps.

Mob - still feel the need? Take it up with a thread in the Members Feedback forum. No need to further derail this thread.

AgentOne knew exactly what the possible repercussions were for what he did to be banned. He has accepted that fact and the reasoning and we've moved on.

Eriku - you've been here as long as I have. You out of all who are now chiming in know I don't act without reason and know the people who merit "custom" titles are wrist slaps.

Mob - still feel the need? Take it up with a thread in the Members Feedback forum. No need to further derail this thread.

So the lesson here is "don't question authority" and "authority gets the last word". I see.

Jesus..

What is this Nazi Germany?

DO NOT POST MESSAGES! THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS FOR NOT FOR POSTING MESSAGES!!!

Half of my posts on this board and every other are short one liners, most of the time when I ask I question all I need is "YES" OR "NO"

I dont need to read a f'ing book in every post on every topic.. THATS ANNOYING.

I think most of this "mod" team needs a enema IMHO.

Jesus..

What is this Nazi Germany?

DO NOT POST MESSAGES! THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS FOR NOT FOR POSTING MESSAGES!!!

Half of my posts on this board and every other are short one liners, most of the time when I ask I question all I need is "YES" OR "NO"

I dont need to read a f'ing book in every post on every topic.. THATS ANNOYING.

I think most of this "mod" team needs a enema IMHO.

:lol::lol::lol: QFTW!!! Sorry....but soooooo true. I will prob. get banned for this.....but it seems that they would have to ban all of us.

:lol::lol::lol: QFTW!!! Sorry....but soooooo true. I will prob. get banned for this.....but it seems that they would have to ban all of us.

Wow... you guys don't give a crap. thread locked and yes... temp ban to everyone that tries to continue this in the regular forums... you guys are acting like children at this point.

Written while EXO was apparently locking things up. . .

Seriously, what does it matter? Are MW members complaining?

Yes. Repeatedly.

Are the posts causing the server to crash?

No.

If so, that's one thing, but I thought most were here to obatin and share Macross info and goodness while having some fun in the process. Most people who post have gotten in on the fun and gotten off topic, but for the most part it's all in fun. If the 4000 + plus number is causing people distress or dare I say jealousy, why not just reset the number to "0" or not count the post at all? What does it account for anyway? It's almost like some guys are standing in the shower and comaring the size of their Ballchinians...

The point is that for over a year, we've been treated to more and more one-word or one-sentence posts that contribute absolutely nothing substantive. This has encouraged others to start doing the same thing. And for a while there, there was a real problem with threads being taken off-topic by what has been termed by some as "gah gah" spam posts with each person trying to out-do the other person with spammy one-liners of absolutely no value to anyone but those making the posts. This coupled with an attitude where the posters seem to think that each thread is a direct question directed at them personally, and thus meriting their response even if they don't have one worth making, has led a lot of our members and staff to take note of a deteriorating situation. Or, as I put it six months ago on another forum that sometimes discusses the happenings over here at MW. . .

Is it just me, or are a lot of threads on MW descending into (no matter the real topic at hand) a bunch of somewhat new, unfunny people making unfunny jokes followed by a lot of other unfunny people responding with even less funny jokes?

A couple months later, things had gotten so bad that even haterist noticed it. And when haterist and I agree on something, you know it's a problem. . . ;)

the thing thats been bothering me lately is having to sift through pages of pointless posts that are posted for the sake of posting. i feel some of the newer members are using the forum to toss in their not-even-on-topic 2cents and/or not-so-whitty banter in every single thread that comes up. its cool every once in a while but i come here to check whats going on in the world of macross, not to read unneeded replies to stupid off topic posts that go on for pages.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Being in a position of leadership, the expectation is different. This is certainly something that should have taken place in PM. Instead of condescending custom titles why not "man up" and hit the Ballchinian in PM instead of him putting him on blast as if "you've had it up to here" with excessive posting? Not very mod like in IMHO.

The problem with this is that we did just PM him about it. Funny that he doesn't mention this but instead disingenuously states that we should have PMed. He knows full well that we did just three days ago. The staff do communicate and notify each other when any action is taken. It was decided that since he had clearly ignored private (even "professional" as he put it) warnings, perhaps a public one was in order. Especially because it might then perhaps "get the word" out that the type of spamming posts described above are not going to be tolerated any longer. Especially if they're off-topic as they so often are.

As for the custom titles being juvenile. . . they're a long-standing tradition here. And if misterryno says he likes his. . . what's there to complain about? The staff have always assigned such titles in situations like this and it has never gotten anyone butt-hurt before. Indeed, I'm not sure I see that one as juvenile given that it's a pretty widely held --and to my mind, valid-- opinion.

I'm sure some people will see this as an opportunity to "fight the power" and show that they won't bow to some vaguely defined "oppression" by over-zealous mods. But the truth of the matter is that we've looked the other way for a long time until it became impossible to do so any longer. When the worst offender was privately warned, he ignored the warning, responded negatively, and actually increased the prohibited behavior. How, then, are we to respond? On many other boards, he'd just be banned without a word. That may end up happening. But it certainly hasn't happened yet. Instead, here we are, explaining our rationale and our reasoning and why we're feeling the need to crack down a bit on the "no spamming" rule that has always been there. And the usual suspects will always feel that they need to "stick it to the man" and feel persecuted. We can't help that. But we will enforce the rules and if necessary, we'll have to stop being nice about it while doing so.

So guess what. . . it's time to get back on-topic. Nobody is going to be banned for saying: "That is awesome!" every once in a while. But that clearly isn't what we're dealing with here. At least, that's clear to anyone who has taken the time to look into the situation and has all the facts.