1/60 SV-51 Alpha Mass Prod

reddsun1

I bought a cannon fodder SV-51 a few weeks ago, ironically just before they went on sale.

I will say that the toy is just as good as the VF-0A that I also bought, maybe a bit better. The only real fault I have with the toy is the overcomplicated shoulder joint, which includes an offset hinge joint and a tiny black bar that is only there to fill a slit hole on the jet mode. They're kind of a pain to get straight so you can get the thing back into a fighter.

Two other things to note is that this toy uses a good number of rare-earth magnets. The arms are held into the sides of the legs in jet mode by magnets, and on mine they mostly do the trick, but not great. The other one that I actually works very well is the hinged nose cone that flips down. There the magnets work perfectly.

The barrel of the gun pod falls off really easily, but a dab of superglue fixes that in no time.

It is fiddly to transform, no doubt. I don't really feel like the battroid mode is that sturdy, but the jet mode is very good. I like how the kneecaps lock the legs to the top of the fighter mode by hooking onto the chest plate.

Still, my favorite toy of all my macross ones is the little 100 scale Toynami VF-1S. I know they're not great, and I often have the arms come off (they're just pegs in holes to hold it together), but I prefer the toys that have fewer moving parts to go bad. That, and the 100 scale toynami's are cheap. You can get one for 20 to 30 dollars usually. The worst thing about these new Yamato toys is the moving fingers. I would rather have molded, unmoving fists instead of movable fingers that can't hold onto anything.

Edited by Hans

It is fiddly to transform, no doubt. I don't really feel like the battroid mode is that sturdy, but the jet mode is very good. I like how the kneecaps lock the legs to the top of the fighter mode by hooking onto the chest plate.

I'm a believer that bigger toys should be more complex to trasnform so that doesn't bother me. Take a look at transformers animated leader class megatron; so simple to transform that it feels like a kids toy which is seen as a negative by some people at that size/price. Sure more practical transformation are simple ones, but maybe it also loses its appeal when it is too simple and easy?

What yamato need to do is make joint that don't wear out over time. X-axis joints + Y-axis joints that 'click' vs balljoints which might go loose over time.

The accuracy of the toys are good, just they need to focus on toys that can withstand time. We all still think of yamato toys as being more like "tough model kits" :D not indestructible chunky munky or tonka toys.

Also smaller toys don't undergo the same stress as larger stuff. See with larger toys the weight must be considered too. Some of the more extreme action poses are just not going to be easy to pull off with larger toys. Take the koenig monster for example. Massive feet! The joint supporting a kicking pose is going to have to be very strong. On a small version of that, you don't have to worry about those things because it is tiny.

Yamato's Qrau is an example of a toy that can barely stand up without it having to lean forward. My hip joints are loose and it suffers from floppy limb syndrome because it is back-heavy and the hips have lost friction to support the weight. If it was tiny like the 1/100 you wouldn't need to worry about this. It is "strong" and the basic design of the Qrau means it isn't likely to break, (zentradi mecha seem to be much less complex than valks) but the sheer size and bulk and weight means you are going to need to solve problems that are not there at small sizes of toys.

This is why I am happy toynami went with a smaller size for their mass produced valks. Less complexity means less chance of errors or mistakes. Then as they get better make them larger and more detailed. (like the masterpieces but suited for mass production for buyers who are not the "mint-in-box-lock-me-away-in-a-vault-for-50-years" collectors.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

just got mine last sunday.

am happy just looking at

the box. :lol:

tried to remove it from the

plastic case but already had

difficulty getting it out. so i

quit and went back to just

admiring the box. :lol:

i prefer the ivanov but because

of the negative comments about

some qc related issues, i opted

for the cf. but i'm happy with

the cf.

by the way, how do i remove

it from the plastic case? do i

press the bulges outward?

(if i'm having difficulties in

just getting it out of the box,

do you think i have to look for

someone to transform it for me?

harharhar. my first yamato

that's why i'm handling it like

a baby.

lol, push the bulges out, lift the first half of the fighter, then press the bulges out on the other half, working the SV-51 out carefully.

Just see which comes out easier, work that side, then the other side. Let us know if you have trouble transforming it, we can help.

You might if you can't even get it out of the box yet. j/k ;)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

i prefer the ivanov but because

of the negative comments about

some qc related issues, i opted

for the cf. but i'm happy with

the cf.

Congratulations. But if you do want to get an ivanov the only real issue is tiny and that is to do with the missiles I think. Plus he has been reissued with the fix now.

Show us pics of it if you can. I probably would have got this if I had not worried about needing to set aside money for other things.

if they made this in LV grey i would've been all over it....actually if they made this in any other color scheme than the pooish brown i would've been all over it.

just to add, i got a reissue ivanov. the missile hardpoints are nice and tight but the legs are still loose as a goose.

^ those aren't too bad.

i like the white, grey, copper and bronze ones.

the honey dew is just weird and the blue could be cool if it had some other color going on.

Yeah, I think the "white" one would be a good color for them to produce.

I like the (almost) white one. (PURE white never looks good on a valk)

Agreed, a little grey to the white really brings out the details, shape and sculpt.

That last one has some serious class to it.

The honeydew one? I think so too. It is almost my favorite of the group. I am very tempted because it is so close to the fusion paint which is so easy to use.

That bronze one is amazing. I would be all over that. It almost looks more sinister than the Ivanof.

Totally. I am sure there are some good bronze paint techniques that could be used to do that and make it even more metallic looking. It is kind of what I would imagine the CF to "really" look like. That would cost a fortune to customize though. the metallic effects are very time consuming.

I like the idea of just the CF brown to be honest. It just matches the CF from SDF:M.

The thing with the anti-un is they didn't give the SV-51 unique head unit for each valk they made to make the CF look more average than the two aces. Maybe if they had 1 more episode from the OVA they could have shown a bunch of low vis grey vf-0a types fighting the sv-51 brownies. Oh well. Maybe SK can make a movie edition macross zero with a scene of vf-0a and sv-51 attacking each other, destroid cheyenne fighting octos, while the big birdman concentrates on the ace pilots. All while this is happening the Monster (with claws) is getting to blow away everything in its path.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

lol, push the bulges out, lift the first half of the fighter, then press the bulges out on the other half, working the SV-51 out carefully.

Just see which comes out easier, work that side, then the other side. Let us know if you have trouble transforming it, we can help.

You might if you can't even get it out of the box yet. j/k ;)

thanks bro! am still waiting for the weekend so that i'll

have more time to take it out of the case. ^_^

Congratulations. But if you do want to get an ivanov the only real issue is tiny and that is to do with the missiles I think. Plus he has been reissued with the fix now.

Show us pics of it if you can. I probably would have got this if I had not worried about needing to set aside money for other things.

thanks. i still want to get the ivanov. but the issue now

is monetary. :lol: