Fleet of the Strongest Love

VFTF1

Which Macross Love is the Strongest?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which Macross Love is the Strongest?

• Hikaru/Misa
    • Hikaru/Minmey
    • Roy/Claudia
    • Roy/Aires
    • Kaifun/Minmey
    • Guld/Myung
    • Dyson/Myung
    • Dyson/Lucy
    • Gamlin/Mylene
    • Bassara/Guitar!
    • Shin/Sara
    • Shin/Mao
    • Alto/Sheryl
    • Alto/Ranka
    • Max/Milia

Ok - this question should be pretty straightforward once you get the jist of it:

Out of all the romantic relationships in the Macross Universe, which is characterized by the STRONGEST LOVE within a couple?

Remember - this is NOT a question about which of these couples is your favorite, or who should be with whom, or which girl is cuter or better. It is a question about which love is strongest, given what we see on screen.

The qustion came up because of a "debate" with local Macross fans in Poland, where they were (again) putting down Macross Zero because it had "too much romantic elements" and I was (again) defending it, by noting that actually it had the fewest romantic themes of all the Macross series...

I started wondering why, despite indeed having numerically the least romantic pairings of all the Macross Series, did these fans think that Macross Zero had "too much romance in it" - and I came to the conclusion that it might be because despite having numerically less romantic themes, and despite actually giving very little time to any romantic development, the INTENSITY of Shin's love for Sara was so pronounced that it gave some people this overwhelming sense of Zero being a monumental love story...

Which of course leads to my vote: Sara/Shin. I think that their love was indeed the most intense we've seen in the entire Macross Universe thus far.

Hikaru and Misa kind of stumbled into one another - their love was the result of both of them needing the other, they were humble, normal people engulfed by events who found happiness with one another - and the process was very drawn out; sentimental even, but not "intense."

Ranka/Alto/Sherl...errr... they are fun - but I actually don't detect much love there - not serious love anyways...more like fun love :)

Myung/Dyson/Guld - there was less intense love then intense friendship amongst these three - I think - honestly; even though of course Guld wanted to take it to another level when he proposed to Myung..still - they are more dear friends than intense loves.

Gamlin and Mylene I would call innocent virgin young puppy love :) not intense...just "fist"...

Sara and Shin however - well...I think they deeply and passionately loved one another.

The first budding feelings between them came when Shin started carving the Yaree Wei alongside Sara - and it would have been a perfectly sentimental romantic paradise island budding love story if not for the fact that a moment later Sara was having visions of th e coming of the Birdman...

This little episode is actually telling of the nature of their love during the whole series: a Love unfulfilled, interupted by events that are beyond either of them - and compelling both of them to sacrifice their lives for one another: something lovers imagine they do in the looong run (aka I will be with you until the day you die...which is like, 50 years from now :) ) ... in the case of these two: Shin had to "make up his mind" immediately - as did Sara really - and it was obvious they were devoted to one another.

As the situation got worse and worse, Shin decided to go all out an listen to his heart - and Sara really did love him :) sniff...I think their love story was the most powerful and strong in all the Macross universe because they gave their lives for their love and showed the Protoculture that humans are capable of great things.

What's your vote/opinion?

VFTF1

Edited by VFTF1

Lol Basara x Guitar!

Basara is quite a ladies man without trying.

Basara x Flower Girl

Basara x Rex

Basara x Rex's blonde haired groupie (He was pulling a biker Max impersonation.)

Basara x Sivil

Basara x Emilia Jenius

Basara x Liza (Zolan UN Spacy Cop)

Basara x Elma (Zolan loli)

Basara x Akiko (When possesed by Sivil)

Basara x Chlore

Basara x Advisor Tranquil

Basara x The Fleet of Strongest Women (Meltran Fangirls)

Basara/Guitar! option should really be Basara/Basara :mellow: ... he doesn't really care bout his guitar at all.. any guitar will do in aiding his real passion: his own voice and making people listen to it :p

Anyway, I agree with your sentiments on Shin/Sara, and it does come off as one of the stronger ones in the franchise. Heck, Zero is more less the only Macross where the factor that "wins over the plot" isn't actually music but the love between the main characters.

Anyway, I voted for Roy/Alice, since it came off as pretty strong too, but cruelly cut short.

What, no Bobby x Ozma? They're the most intense of all that freaks me out every time I saw them both alone. The other couple is just fun to watch, except for Basara x Guitar.

Damn didn't see the Basara x guitar option -.-, would surely have voted for that one

Don't worry :) As of now...shockingly!...that option is WINNING!

Go figure! The ONE poll in which Basarra wins...I vote for somebody else :(

Forever stuck in the minority I am :)

Gamlin and Mylene I would call innocent virgin young puppy love not intense...just "fist"...

w'oh, that's a rough sort of innocent virgin puppy love you guys got going on over there....

D'oh! Freud would be proud of me :)

VFTF1

Edited by VFTF1

Now to me it begs the question, b/c you have used both terms:

Strongest or Most Intense?

To me these are very different concepts. Most intense, sure, I'll agree that Shin and Sara might have it. Close would be Max & Millia.

"I kill you!"-"Nice Rack"-"I kill you!"-"Let's get married and make lots of hot babies and kick ass together"-"OK"

Strongest, I'm inclined to say Hikaru/Misa. They went through enough trials (inc. Minmei) to establish a really solid relationship that will last. Well, depending on what happened to the Megaroad-1...

Strongest or Most Intense?

To me these are very different concepts. Most intense, sure, I'll agree that Shin and Sara might have it. Close would be Max & Millia.

"I kill you!"-"Nice Rack"-"I kill you!"-"Let's get married and make lots of hot babies and kick ass together"-"OK"

Strongest, I'm inclined to say Hikaru/Misa. They went through enough trials (inc. Minmei) to establish a really solid relationship that will last. Well, depending on what happened to the Megaroad-1...

All very good points. I guess it all depends on our definition of what makes for a strong and or intense love?

Max and Milia are, in my view, more a case of honor, lust and chivalric rivalry almost FORCING them to get married. Max and Milia were, if anything, in competition with one another from the get go - and in a sense, their entire relationship is one big "I bet ya I can do it better!" - this goes for Macross 7 as well; where Milia is constantly hounding Max in her capacity as mayor, and Max is constantly acting as if the military is more important than what his wife does...

I agree that Hikaru and Misa's love did go through the most trials - and in that sense, I guess it can be said to be very strong in the sense of solid...

But I don't see Max and Milia as being comaprable to Shin and Sara - I mean, ok...I guess on a surface level - there is this tension that is there - Max/humanity vs Milia/Meltran and Shin/Modern Civilization vs Sara/Ancient Virtue - true - but on a personal level, I think that there is great tenderness between Shin and Sara, and that Sara wins him over fairly quickly: Shin, after all, as he says from the beginning, just wants "stability" - he doesn't fight for the UN for anything else than the dream that one day the ground will stop quaking and shaking...

Sara shows him that stability starts with you - with your choice: and that to fight for it is to move further from it and become the thing you set out to oppose... Shin seems to give his heart to this view, and to Sara, fairly early on - however war keeps intruding and compelling Shin to be a soldier - in the end, to fight to save his love... but in the end end (grande finale end) - we see that Shin realizes that he must give himself totally and wholly over to his love - and by this I mean - believe in everything Sara has said and taught - in order to save her...

If anything, I guess it's a bit of what Milia (the soldier) had to think about Max kissing her and being attracted to her - but the Max/Milia situation was kind of a like a romantic comedy - it was all light hearted... Shin and Sara are a much darker thing, and I see their love as being truer; more romantic.

Maybe I'll put it this way: Max and Milia are the type of people who, as they did, are made to settle down, have a big family, quarrel a lot, and generally deal with day to day life (making coffee and onward)...

Shin and Sara are both romantic idealists with traumatic experiences in their pasts who are almost tragically destined to die from the moment the saga begins... and yet they still find joy in having known one another... I guess I would compare it to the love story in the first Terminator movie if anything...

VFTF1

PS - and shockingly Bassara and Guitar are STILL WINNING!! :)

No Max and Millia = fail.

Eh? Max and Milia are in the poll. They are failing too :)

Apparently people think Bassara loves his guitar more than Max loves Milia (strangley - this is probably true; Bassara would never seperate himself from his guitar, let alone get a divorce from it or something ) :)

VFTF1

Go figure! The ONE poll in which Basarra wins...I vote for somebody else :(

Forever stuck in the minority I am :)

VFTF1

Just to prove your point further, I give my vote to Basara too. He's going to win this one :3 That and I do think he loves his guitar/himself the most. And it's intense!

2 polls are currently in progress. Unless one of the OPs of the other 2 polls wish to end their poll, this one ends. If one of the other poll ends, I'll unlock this one.

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26793

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26898

This one: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26933 currently has dibs, though.