Why Alto must hook up with Sheryl *spoilers*

ssfsx17

I think alto should stay single as he is quite the douche

but as deebot pointed out, he might just like that better. if you think he's a jerk, best punishment would be to add klanklan cathy glass, bobby and 2 of the bridge bunnies into the mix! thus, instead of a duet, we'd have an entire morning musume after him. and an aneurism is sure to follow. :p

but as deebot pointed out, he might just like that better. if you think he's a jerk, best punishment would be to add klanklan cathy glass, bobby and 2 of the bridge bunnies into the mix! thus, instead of a duet, we'd have an entire morning musume after him. and an aneurism is sure to follow. :p

Please don't associate something as wonderful as Macross with the hideous demon children known as Morning Musume.

Thank you.

Please don't associate something as wonderful as Macross with the hideous demon children known as Morning Musume.

Thank you.

point. surely i could have used a better group as an analogy. my humblest apologies. :ph34r:

but then again....once upon a time, there was the "jamming birds".... :mellow:

but then again....once upon a time, there was the "jamming birds".... :mellow:

Mmmmm Jamming Birds...

jammingbirds.jpg

I really wonder where they are in the Frontier days...

Oh yah, Sheryl is going to end up with Michael. It just... is how it is going to be.

Edited by stray

Oh yah, Sheryl is going to end up with Michael. It just... is how it is going to be.

I actually think this is true. They just seemed so tailor made for one another in that one scene where Sheryl wants to fly out looking for Alto.

As for the Jamming Birds - I could never stand that guy who tried to get into Mylene's panties but got zapped by the Vampire...Bobby, I think his name was...

It's nice that the name Bobby has now been bestowed on a more worthy character.

As for Alto - strangely - I can see him saying "Finally those two have left me alone!" .... and Bob Joe Mac is right - he is being extremely Darwinian in his treatment of the girls...

"Oh, Sheryl's sick and traumatized after being in a war? Tough! I'm goin' flyin' with this 13 year old chick!" :)

But then again - Alto WAS supposed to take Ranka back to Frontier for her first live, wasn't he? That's why they went flying... they just wanted to "hang out" in the sky for a bit before returning to Frontier...

Oh - and actually - it WAS Mikhael who prodded Alto into taking Ranka up for a flight - as he's been prodding Alto to pay more attention to Ranka from the beginning...

So Alto wasn't really being all that cruel to Sheryl - was he?

Question is: why does Mikhael keep prodding Alto to be with Ranka?

VFTF1

But then again - Alto WAS supposed to take Ranka back to Frontier for her first live, wasn't he? That's why they went flying... they just wanted to "hang out" in the sky for a bit before returning to Frontier...

Oh - and actually - it WAS Mikhael who prodded Alto into taking Ranka up for a flight - as he's been prodding Alto to pay more attention to Ranka from the beginning...

Yeah, it was expected that Alto would take Ranka back to Frontier. One of the first things that Michael mentions when he says that Alto and Ranka have disappeared is that his fold booster is still in orbit (since Alto was supposed to use it to get Ranka back on time). As for the flight, while not shown I'm sure that Sheryl would have pushed Alto to take the flight anyway (either girl would have regardless of who was in which position).

Why does Michael seem to be pushing Alto toward Ranka?

I don't think he's pushing as hard as Nanase and Luca (though Luca may just be doing so because of Nanase), but he is pushing. My best guess is because he knows Ranka (and has known her since before the start of the series) and doesn't really know Sheryl. Ranka's been his friend for a lot longer than she's known Alto, and he no doubt wants her to be happy. Sheryl's an unknown for him. He hasn't known her personally for very long, and he may not even be certain how serious she is about Alto (best guess on my part is that even she doesn't think she's serious about Alto until episode 11). He may also be yet another person that has had trouble seeing her as a real person. His outlook may have changed after episode 13, however. We'll need to wait and see.

And since others are making guesses...

My guess at the moment is that Ranka will get her wish to rise to the top as the most famous idol singer. Sheryl will drop down in popularity and may even retire from professional singing (whether forced or voluntary I'm unsure of at the moment). But Sheryl will end up with Alto. Ranka has friends and wants fame. Sheryl has fame and wants a true friend. Both will get their respective wishes.

My best guess is because he knows Ranka (and has known her since before the start of the series) and doesn't really know Sheryl. Ranka's been his friend for a lot longer than she's known Alto, and he no doubt wants her to be happy. Sheryl's an unknown for him. He hasn't known her personally for very long, and he may not even be certain how serious she is about Alto (best guess on my part is that even she doesn't think she's serious about Alto until episode 11). He may also be yet another person that has had trouble seeing her as a real person. His outlook may have changed after episode 13, however. We'll need to wait and see.

yup. aside from the fact that he could be sucking up to Ozma and getting back at Alto at the same time!

"Hey, boss, do you know where Ranka is right now? nudge nudge, wink wink."

Why ?

Alto has issues with people telling him what he should be and how he should act. He takes great offense to people telling him that blood determines things. His response is to go flip the bird, then go fly like a bird.

Now there's Sheryl... her whole life was basically engineered, it would seem. Despite everything that's happened to her, she seems to understand Alto in a way that nobody else does. They have all the right things in common - they like to explore new frontiers, they love the sky, and they love flying. Alto can understand her better than anyone else ever could too - he understands all too well what it's like for outside forces to control your life and what not.

And Ranka? She's selfish, and only wants Alto all to herself because he's pretty, and because Sheryl used to get in the way of her singing. She doesn't understand his desire to fly, nor does she understand why her brother or anyone else flies. She likes the feeling of Alto grabbing her but she doesn't talk about much else besides her singing and the act of getting rescued.

Looks like Sheryl is in a desperate situation... ^_^

The question could also be why Kawamori wants Ranka for Alto or why he won't change his mind ? ;) .

The story is already written , it doesn't matter if someone or another person or batch of people like it or not because their favorite character take a bad shape. We all know that even if you are complaining you will keep watching it until the end( romance is not what make Macross, it's just a big part of it ! You should be glad if she even succeed in staying alive...)

And, I have been spoiled ? :unsure::)

A lot of why to the misfortune, not the why to the bliss

I actually think this is true. They just seemed so tailor made for one another in that one scene where Sheryl wants to fly out looking for Alto.

Michael is already spoken for. There's a greater chance of Ranka hooking up with her brother Brera, than of Michael and Sheryl hooking up.

And Ranka really pissed me off in episode 12 how she didn't even mention Sheryl after she flew in and saved the day. What a bitch.

And Ranka really pissed me off in episode 12 how she didn't even mention Sheryl after she flew in and saved the day. What a bitch.

There wasn't enough time plot-wise. I think it's safe to assume, though, that the first thing that she did after the concert was go to visit Sheryl.

What bugged me was in episode 15 when she acknowledged Alto's completely random paper airplane toss in episode 5, but didn't say one word about all of the encouragement that Sheryl had given her. Though in Ranka's defense, she had an ulterior motive at the time.

There wasn't enough time plot-wise. I think it's safe to assume, though, that the first thing that she did after the concert was go to visit Sheryl.

What bugged me was in episode 15 when she acknowledged Alto's completely random paper airplane toss in episode 5, but didn't say one word about all of the encouragement that Sheryl had given her. Though in Ranka's defense, she had an ulterior motive at the time.

I think you're the only one assuming she went to check on Sheryl.

I think you're the only one assuming she went to check on Sheryl.

Based on...?

It seems pretty clear what would have had to happen right after the concert.

Ranka's concert finishes. Alto greets Ranka and Michael. Michael explains that he left the fold booster in orbit and Ranka needs to get back to Frontier for her show. Alto, Ranka, and Michael all go up to see Sheryl (at the very least, Alto should let Sheryl know that Michael will be her 'bodyguard' now; and it's been assumed that Sheryl encouraged Alto to take Ranka up in the air for his birthday present). Alto and Ranka leave on their sightseeing flight, and then get knocked down by the 'D-Pulse'.

I'm at a loss to think of why anyone would think that Ranka didn't drop in to say hello to Sheryl. Just because they don't spell it out for you doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

lol @ ranka fans trying to hook up Michael with Shery, you might as well pin your hopes on Bobby.

This is something that always baffles me :blink: The person that has better manipulation skills is perceived as less self-centered. And I'm saying this liking both Sheryl and Ranka, it's not a critic to Macross Frontier. The episode that first showed Sheryl as someone likable has her forcing Alto to follow her by stealing his lucky charm, and even ignoring him for a while just because she had an inspiration. What is always pointed as the key deed that Sheryl thinks about other people (her birthday present) would casually have her stealing her love rival their common object of affection, in a totally premeditate way, just like Sheryl stole Alto's first kiss, and without any kind of remorse :ph34r: Yet, when the same is done to her, people cry foul.

To say that Ranka is self-centered is going out on a limb :ph34r:

FV

Hey buddy, you want to tell me what nearly every single conversation Ranka had with Alto from 4-10 was about? No actually I'll tell you, it was about herself. She was upset that she didn't know anything about Alto when other people did with Luca and Sheryl were talking about his acting past. Yet she had countless opportunities to ask him questions, she knew nothing about Alto than and even now she knows hardly anything. Is it really hard to go "hmm this famous Kabuki actor judge at Miss Macross has the same last name as Alto, same hair color and Alto does look rather feminine.. I wonder..." it takes 5 seconds to ask over the phone but she's too busy talking about herself. She doesn't know about Alto's passion to fly, because unlike Sheryl she isn't perceptive enough or asks questions. Sheryl asks about Alto which is why she prepared the perfect present for him in episode 11 because she knows about him.

Ranka is self centered, at least until 12 and like I said her total disregard for anyone but Alto in that episode made her take 2 steps back after taking one forward.

Edited by Westlo

WAITAMINUTE!!!! :angry: Alto was responsible for Sheryl's safety, not Ranka!!!! As a matter of fact, Alto would not have even been there if it weren't for Sheryl, so if anybody SHOULD HAVE MENTION SHERYL, IT WAS THAT SELF- CENTERED

@#$%$% ALTO; NOT RANKA!!!!! <_<

WAITAMINUTE!!!! :angry: Alto was responsible for Sheryl's safety, not Ranka!!!! As a matter of fact, Alto would not have even been there if it weren't for Sheryl, so if anybody SHOULD HAVE MENTION SHERYL, IT WAS THAT SELF- CENTERED

@#$%$% ALTO; NOT RANKA!!!!! <_<

Sigh. Here I am hoping MacrossWorld is free from users suffering from BarbeQueQ syndrome in their posts.

Sigh. Here I am hoping MacrossWorld is free from users suffering from BarbeQueQ syndrome in their posts.

It's all a matter of interpretation. I take that last post to be "melodramatic uppity feign anger" rather than BBQ... :)

VFTF1

Watching SDFM again when i have some free time, and i finished ep 10 (Miss Macross), and, of course, got re-acquainted with that super-snob of an actress Janis Merin... but what i didn't expect was to get a Sheryl Nome-Grace vibe. :p

Remember that scene, where Minmei was waiting to be called, and Janis was having a discussion with her manager? The manager named Mariko (who just happened to be wearing glasses too!), was saying that maybe they shouldn't have joined at all, to which Janis replied that "it's her job" in a haughty way, of course. haha, sounds like sheryl and grace... well, at least ep1 sheryl and grace, that is. back when sheryl seemed like a snob, and grace an angel...

funny how those perceptions of sheryl and grace turned out to be completely the opposite. :)

but then again..... are we going to see a scene of sheryl drunk (or sick) throwing some wine at ranka's dress? :p

Alto needs to end up with both of them. :p That's the fantasy at least. :D He is a bit of an a**hole for the reasons that were mention in this thread, and from my experience the douches end up getting what they want. What I always find funny is that many anime love stories have a thing where neither side can simply come out and express their true feelings to each other. But then we wouldn't have comical situations and the like.

Hi all,

I've been lurking around your site and watching Macross Frontier... seen every ep including 17 (can't wait for a decent sub to come out)..

Anyway, here's my theory.

Amid the various romances in Macross F, I have a suspicion Alto will end up with Sheryl because Ranka is a VAJRA HALF-BREED and so is that weird pet thing that laid eggs.

There is a reason why Ranka is being referred to as 'the little queen' as in, like hivemother (and why she can synchronize with them as she did in ep 15 IIRC) In short, I think Alto ends up with Sheryl because she just makes more sense despite being a less likable person.

so yeah.

RF-25 out.

Alto can't hook up with Sheryl, because Alto is from a line of famous actors, and Sheryl has been revealed to be a nobody. Clearly, Sheryl doesn't deserve him. ;)

Seriously, though. What's Alto looking for? I wouldn't call him underdeveloped, exactly, but he's definitely still an enigma compared to the two female leads. We continue to wait to find out what drives him, if anything...

Seriously, though. What's Alto looking for? I wouldn't call him underdeveloped, exactly, but he's definitely still an enigma compared to the two female leads. We continue to wait to find out what drives him, if anything...

Alto's a guy who's had to rely on himself for so long that he doesn't like to open himself up to others. His father probably belittled Alto's dream of flying. And one of his few friends, Michael, tends to tease Alto pretty much every opportunity he gets. Sheryl's not helping things with her teasing, though it looks like she probably would have pulled it out of him back in episode 17 if Michael hadn't interrupted. And imo Sheryl appears to be similar. My thought is that the two of them are engaged in one of those silly little games that insecure people get into when they like someone but they aren't completely sure that the other person likes them. So they engage in a little game where they try and figure out the other person's feelings before the finally commit themselves wholeheartedly. Sheryl's messed with Alto's head enough times (in particular, the kiss back in episode 10), that Alto probably can't quite ditch the suspicion that her signs of affection are still just her way of teasing him. Even with Sheryl's display in episode 15 (and it's worth noting that Sheryl probably wouldn't have started that if she hadn't felt threatened by Ranka).

Finally, given that Hikaru in SDFM didn't realize how much Misa liked him (despite the fact that she'd been letting herself into his home so that she could clean up his place and make his bed) until one of the bridge bunnies flat out told him, I'm inclined to cut Alto some slack here...

Finally, given that Hikaru in SDFM didn't realize how much Misa liked him (despite the fact that she'd been letting herself into his home so that she could clean up his place and make his bed) until one of the bridge bunnies flat out told him, I'm inclined to cut Alto some slack here...

I have to wonder if Michael is going to spell it out for him... though even Alto should be able to figure it out after the Northern Cross performance...

Does that mean you're going to have to change your signature to SOD: Sheryl on Deathbed?

NNOOOOOO!!!! :(

I have to wonder if Michael is going to spell it out for him... though even Alto should be able to figure it out after the Northern Cross performance...

I doubt Michael would be the one to wake him up to Sheryl's feelings, since Alto might not take him too seriously. Maybe it could be his quasi-brother who gives him the bridge-bunny type epiphany. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have remembered yet another reason why alto+sheryl=ftw!... remember back in ep18 when sheryl collapsed in the street and alto's 'aniki' found her and spirited her back to the saotome mansion?

ai oboeteimasuka was the background song for that scene.

it was the first time I really noticed that - while sheryl already knew she loved him - alto was finally beginning to realize his own feelings for her . I know it's kind of irrational to think the outcome of the triangle was decided by background music, the significance of that theme is clear - it indicates the beginning of something...

anyway, sorry for reviving a near dead thread ^^.

If alto doesn't hook up with Sheryl they are going to throw down the drain 2 parallels they have been drawing between AxS. Those being Alto and his mother as well as Klan and Michael situations in losing someone you loved. Alto and his mother in that Alto had to watch someone he loved pass away slowly due to sickness (lol @ people thinking this is some Oedipus Complex). Klan and Michaels with leaving it too late to tell someone you love them which is why Klan told Alto about Sheryl's condition