Nanase... yea? or nay?

stray

I can't understand the hate, too. She is just a supporting character that takes all fanservice scenes otherwise destined to main characters. Also one friend is a symbol for many friends (even despite Luca and Mikhail), and this helps differentiating Ranka from Sheryl: Sheryl is individualistic, while Ranka is a team player. She also needs a female friend for other reasons. Nobody else could have said Ranka "if you don't do something, you will lose Alto" in episode 11. Sheryl already got Grace, Ranka needed someone close to emphasize her thought with.

It is the same function of Fuyutsuki in Evangelion, he is just there to explain Gendo. Not all characters need to be 3D.

FV

I don't really care for Nanase either, but I can't say I found anything to truly dislike her for. What I DO want is for her to do something relevant than just be Ranka's supporter/friend; it'd be great to make Nanase have a bit more development.

What I DO want is for her to do something relevant than just be Ranka's supporter/friend; it'd be great to make Nanase have a bit more development.

Well said ^_^

:ph34r:

I loved the pin point barrier girls! so cute playing with the bubbly thing, wished they had more air time, hahaha seriously

I guess some people may not be liking Nanase 'cause the way they've been animating her, in the first few episodes, she was slender, nice boobs but well proportion, but after every episode her boobs seems to get bigger and her proportion way off...

remember Nanase is not only Ranka's supporter/friend, she's also Lucas crush

by the way, Luca is pretty much useless also, don't see many people complaining

Ok, time for me to step in and show just how important Nana is as a character. Behold:

1. Who do you think kept Ranka focused on her job at the Chinese restaurant? Without Nana there, Ranka would have been fired long ago, but Nana always calmed her down and reminded her to focus on her job. Ranka would have been totally intimidated by that shrieking Chinese Chef if not for the support of Nana who was always by her side at work.

2. Do you seriously think Ranka would have stayed in the wardrobe at the Miss Macross competition if Nana hadn't given her the "you're beautiful, forget about all these boobies!" speech? Sure, Sheryl's later kind words also encourage her, but it is NANA who goes with Ranka, Nana who tells her the most encouraging words - and it is NANA - not Alto - who is in the audience up until the very end.

3. If all of the above isn't enough - Nana bravely tells Ranka that she will go to jail with her friend if they are discovered violating the Environmental Acts. She does this because she values her friends' feelings and fondness for the litttle creature that comforted her above any government regulations.

Nana has a big heart and lots of character - and people who say that she's just wallpaper are flat wrong. Wallpaper doesn't talk, it doesn't cheer you up, it doesn't worry about you when you've run away from your Big Brother and organize Micheal and Luca to search for you, wallpaper doesn't comfort you, wallpaper doesn't promise to go to jail with you, and wallpaper doesn't jump for joy when it sees you after a long time no see.

There's a reason Nana is in the show as much as she is - it's because she's a key character - a CORE character, if you will. Nana is much more important than the bridge bunnies or Pin Point Barrier Bunnies -

Now - as for the comment about less Nana and more Canalia - I like Canalia - but I think part of the nature of the character is that she doesn't talk much, she's not an extrovert - and in a show like Macross; heck - in any show - it's hard to "focus" on an introvert. But Canalia is as she is; there's not much else to show of her. She works, she's a doctor, and when she needs to - she pilots a Monster. Case closed. The girl would become interesting if she went on dates or had girlfriends to gossip with - but she doesn't. I exepct she has a husband and a nice, private, quiet life.

VFTF1

like i said, she's not irrelevant to the plot. but relevance to plot progression shouldn't be confused with actual character development or substance. What she does to keep the story moving and other characters developing, and what she is as a character on her own are two different things.

she can support ranka all she wants, and i'm sure everything she does or says will help in developing Ranka's character. but if that's all there is to her, then i could easily replace her with someone else and it wouldn't even bother me. i could replace her role in the plot with... say... miclonized klanklan!! wait a minute... hey that could work... come to think of it, it could even be better! more klanklan exposure!! :D

You're only saying that now because her focus ep isn't there yet.

I have stinking feeling Nanase will be the tragic figure in this series.

Luca likes her. So far she doesn't have a clue.

But when Luca does confess he'll have death flags written all over him.

She'll likely be the Claudia of Frontier.

:D you may be right. the moment i see Nanase giving luca some pineapple salad, i'll change my opinion!

Actually, if Luca is the Kakizaki of the series, then Nanase is the steak dinner he never got to eat... ^_^

Considering how slowly the plot is moving you actually think that we'll get a Nanase ep with everything they have left to do? More Klan and Michael or how about some actual focus on Ozma and Cathy before someone worthless like Nanase. The 3 lead characters are dominating everything, they need to look after major characters like Ozma, Michael and Klan before wasted time on supporting ones like Nanase.

Ok, time for me to step in and show just how important Nana is as a character. Behold:

1. Who do you think kept Ranka focused on her job at the Chinese restaurant? Without Nana there, Ranka would have been fired long ago, but Nana always calmed her down and reminded her to focus on her job. Ranka would have been totally intimidated by that shrieking Chinese Chef if not for the support of Nana who was always by her side at work.

2. Do you seriously think Ranka would have stayed in the wardrobe at the Miss Macross competition if Nana hadn't given her the "you're beautiful, forget about all these boobies!" speech? Sure, Sheryl's later kind words also encourage her, but it is NANA who goes with Ranka, Nana who tells her the most encouraging words - and it is NANA - not Alto - who is in the audience up until the very end.

3. If all of the above isn't enough - Nana bravely tells Ranka that she will go to jail with her friend if they are discovered violating the Environmental Acts. She does this because she values her friends' feelings and fondness for the litttle creature that comforted her above any government regulations.

Nana has a big heart and lots of character - and people who say that she's just wallpaper are flat wrong. Wallpaper doesn't talk, it doesn't cheer you up, it doesn't worry about you when you've run away from your Big Brother and organize Micheal and Luca to search for you, wallpaper doesn't comfort you, wallpaper doesn't promise to go to jail with you, and wallpaper doesn't jump for joy when it sees you after a long time no see.

There's a reason Nana is in the show as much as she is - it's because she's a key character - a CORE character, if you will. Nana is much more important than the bridge bunnies or Pin Point Barrier Bunnies -

Now - as for the comment about less Nana and more Canalia - I like Canalia - but I think part of the nature of the character is that she doesn't talk much, she's not an extrovert - and in a show like Macross; heck - in any show - it's hard to "focus" on an introvert. But Canalia is as she is; there's not much else to show of her. She works, she's a doctor, and when she needs to - she pilots a Monster. Case closed. The girl would become interesting if she went on dates or had girlfriends to gossip with - but she doesn't. I exepct she has a husband and a nice, private, quiet life.

VFTF1

+1

Yea for Nanase.

-Kyp

Two dimensional, one dimensional, only popular for her bounciness, yadayadayada.

The poor girl's a secondary supporting character for f*cks sake, she's supposed to be one dimensional so that Sheryl, Ranka and the other lead characters can stand in the limelight and shine!

Shees! <_<

...and there's nothing wrong with big boobs damnit!

Yea.

Two dimensional, one dimensional, only popular for her bounciness, yadayadayada.

The poor girl's a secondary supporting character for f*cks sake, she's supposed to be one dimensional so that Sheryl, Ranka and the other lead characters can stand in the limelight and shine!

Shees! <_<

Yea.

Let the haters hate. All the more Nanase for us, I say Dante74 and Gubaba!

And a Yea from me for Nanse, alway a yea for her. Always.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Shees! <_<

Yea.

yup. nothing wrong with big boobs. and definitely not the only reason for me to like her.

people who see Nanase as only boobies are thinking one-dimensional :rolleyes::ph34r:

Right now I don't think that she is all that important to Frontier but I think that she could be something more in the larger picture of things. I think that it could go in one of two big ways. One as things get bad she could be the one that helps the other stay grounded and keep them from losing track of what really matters. Or two, she dies and brings the face of war home to our crew of misfits. All that aside so far I like her and so will give her a 'yea'.