Finally YF-19 Chest Lock Fix!!!!

zebu

Howdy,

I’m Newbie to this forum, so I would like to contribute to all.

As you could've guessed from the title, this is about chest locking fix mod (possibly… you will be the judge of that).

I've always been the fan of YF-19 and love 1/60 Yamato version. However, I also been extremely frustrated with the landing gear, gunpod, and chest locking issues it comes with it.

After doing some researching on this forum and learning a lot, I decided to do my own mod for chest lock. Unlike the GERWALK Mod out there, I did not want to cut nor do any “carving of plastic”.

Also one pose I really wanted my YF-19 to do is the free falling pose like the one shown on photo 01. As we all know by now, recently released yf-19 figure (not 1/60) can do this because it is not transforming, action figure (See photo 02).

Now let’s get to the point here. Check out my photo 03 and see if you think I've came close. :rolleyes:

Now photo 4 and 5 is showing me holding the YF-19 by its leg and upside down (Without any mod, you all know what happens :wacko: ).

How did I do it?

To do this you need, following supplies

1. super glue (don't be scared, you cannot see any glued parts from exterior view of the model as you can see)

2. wires (American wire gauge size 24, it is about the same size as little wires inside of your ethernet cable)

3. wire cutter and forceps (though not required)

That is it.

Obviously, the concept is to place the wire to aid the chest to lock. I decided to use wire because it easily mold to any curved surface, and the rubber covering give the necessary "softness" and do not cause any "grinding" of plastic parts.

Photo 06 shows where the wires go. Cut about 1.5 cm of wires (I've used 2 rows to ensure it secures the chest tightly) and glued it just below the base of chest cannon plate as shown. Photo 06 should give you precise locations I am talking about.

Photo 07 is shown from another view and with approximate distance from the cheat cannon base plate (3.5 - 4 mm below).

Photo 08 shows what it looks like once is completed (frontal view)

Finally, photo 09 explains the concept again. The wires are not pressing against the side of nose cone; rather, it is gripping the nose cone just below the radar sensors (shown as red lines in photo 08).

Few advantages for this mod

1. Easy to do (once I figured out the correct reference and distance, it took me less than 5 minutes to complete the mod)

2. It does not interferes with any other mode (in fact, it hold the chest little tighter in GERWALK mode which is added bonus)

3. unless you flip the model and expose the location to show that you have glued these wires, these wires do not show in any views (people will never know if you ever did any mod to it)

4. If you do not like the mod and remove the wires or need to adjust the wires, it can be done with ease... also since wires are out of the sights, so are the glue marks.

Few disadvantages

1. The reference points and distance of the wires must be exact in order to make the chest lock tight.

2. you are using glue so... it can be messy (again, you can't see them though)

3. this does not lock the bottom of nose cone (I am working on it)

Try it.. I am completely satisfied with the result.

Zebu

post-8913-1214013938_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1214013946_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1214013958_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1214013969_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1214013977_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1214013983_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1214013988_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1214013994_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1214014000_thumb.jpg

Couldn't you also simply put a cut-up felt pad in that position or would it scruff the plastic too much.

I think those cables with the glue remannts will mark the nose after a few transformations.

nope, after 20 stright transformations, no marks..

Any pressures that may placed on the nose cone are seemingly being absorbed by the rubber around the wires.

zebu

Zebu, great fix to a craptacular approach on Yamato's behalf.

Nice little mod. Funny that yamato themselves didn't do anything to lock the chest.

That's Yamato for you. Invest 200% engineering fighter mode and maybe 50% for battroid mode...