REMAKE News!

Definitely SF this one:

Capricorn One:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080605f.php

This is really getting absurd. The original started with an interesting concept and degenerated into a crappy chase for the second half of the film....

Taksraven

• 4 weeks later...

From Dark Horizons today, a remake of THE PRISONER.....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080701h.php

All I have to say about this is....

OH, GOD NO, PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE, PLEASE DON'T DO IT, YOU WILL JUST STUFF IT UP!!!!!! AARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Taksraven

The writers strike is over right......RIGHT?! Honestly think of something better than I spit on your grave.

Just remember, these people want MORE money to steal ideas. I say let them starve. :angry:

This thread is a good idea. Though the shear amount of angst could destroy MW it's good to have it all in one place.

Oh, for the love of God, NO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1NVnLY_vU

The original DTESS is a great movie, a classic of sci-fi, and a pretty strong critique [sci-Fi does tend to lend itself wonderfully as a vehicle for social commentary] of McCarthyism, Cold War paranoia, and of course, the proliferation of atomic/nuclear weapons and mankind's seeming determination to pitch itself headlong toward eventual self-destruction.

These remakes are almost invariably soulless, unimaginative hack-jobs, completely lacking any of the individual touches that the majority of the originals' directors put into [be it the cinematography, underlying themes, or-what-have-you] their respective works, which is [usually] what made the movies great in the first place.

I know it'll never happen, but I do so wish critics and moviegoers alike [i.e. through their spending power] would stop condoning this not so subtle lobotomy of the moviegoing experience. Someone ought to just sit up in the most public of forums and call these guys out, point blank: "You guys are a bunch of bums, you know that? Do you even study the source material before you go hacking it up and dumbing it down? You're like CliffsNotes for movies."

Edited by reddsun1

The original DTESS is a great movie, a classic of sci-fi, and a pretty strong critique [sci-Fi does tend to lend itself wonderfully as a vehicle for social commentary] of McCarthyism, Cold War paranoia, and of course, the proliferation of atomic/nuclear weapons and mankind's seeming determination to pitch itself headlong toward eventual self-destruction.

These remakes are almost invariably soulless, unimaginative hack-jobs, completely lacking any of the individual touches that the majority of the originals' directors put into [be it the cinematography, underlying themes, or-what-have-you] their respective works, which is [usually] what made the movies great in the first place.

Not always...both the '70s and the '90s remakes of Invasion of the Body Snatchers had things to recommend them. I heard the latest one was awful, though.

I know it'll never happen, but I do so wish critics and moviegoers alike [i.e. through their spending power] would stop condoning this not so subtle lobotomy of the moviegoing experience. Someone ought to just sit up in the most public of forums and call these guys out, point blank: "You guys are a bunch of bums, you know that? Do you even study the source material before you go hacking it up and dumbing it down? You're like CliffsNotes for movies."

Interesting... there's something in that YouTube trailer similar to something in Macross Frontier ep. 13, specifically at 1:22, an expanding force rips apart buildings and vehicles.

"My name is Klaatu. Whoa." I agree with your views, but it ain't gonna happen. Money (and the chance to make more of it by exploiting a proven concept) rules.

Now, the upcoming Highlander remake? Get out of my wallet, you Hollywood freaks!

I don't mind a Highlander remake though. But I think they could've easily came out with another Highlander movie without a Mac Leod for once.

As stated many times on this board Highlander's one of those things that should never be remade. Though it was limited by budget everything came together perfectly.