Aircraft (real world)

Lightning

I was wondering sometime today...could there be a Used Aircraft dealership sometime down the road?

i mean like the F-4, F-8, F-14, F-15, F-16, F-117, MiG-21, MiG-25 (man, that thing would be a blast to fly to mach 2.5), and the Su-27.

price speculations would be fun to see and discuss!

I have read articles about guys that have purchased mothballed MiGs, and such. Surpisingly, the fighters themselves are only a couple hundred thousand.

It's the maintenance that kills you, costs an ungodly amount of money to fly the things for like 10 seconds when you factor in all the fuel, and ground maintenance etc.

Now when you pick up some surplus military aircraft, is it all stripped down? I mean no guns, bare minimum electronics to get it off the ground and fly safely.

Would mind having an F-5 Tiger II to mess around in every now and then. Anything bigger would probably see me getting raped completly just to keep it from not falling apart, if something small like a Tiger II doesn't do that already.

an F-117 would give all the ground control guys nightmares....(even if it was painted red!)

Actually, IIRC, F-117s on, um, "not active" duty are fitted with a small radar reflective fitting which lets air traffic control know where they are.

I was astonished to read that there are US collectors with MiG-21s in their garages ( thats a Mach-2 capable interceptor ) and theres even a rumour that a couple of Su-27s have made it into private hands.

In the UK, the Civil Aviation Authority has generally taken a rather dim view of what could be described as civilians zooming across this scepter'd isle in Mach 1+ capable aircraft, which has stymied attempts to get Avro Vulcan bombers and English Electric Lightnings back in the air, though such pleading does continue.

When I was a kid, my father used to tell me about the dozens of surplus aircraft that were for sale after WW2. You could get a P51 Mustang for the equivalent of a couple $1000 in today's money.

I cried a lot when I was little... :(

Ack, a mustang is such an awesome plane, if ya come across a couple, I have a $1000 to spare on one. As for newwer aircraft, you have to have it maintained by a FAA licenced mechanic,,,big bucks, most people I know that can fly, rent planes from local airports cause the cost to maintain is WAY too high. I think the 5,000 hour on a newer cessna is like $10,000- $20,000 from what I was told

I was wondering sometime today...could there be a Used Aircraft dealership sometime down the road?

i mean like the F-4, F-8, F-14, F-15, F-16, F-117, MiG-21, MiG-25 (man, that thing would be a blast to fly to mach 2.5), and the Su-27.

price speculations would be fun to see and discuss!

yes these places exist they're called black market weapons dealers. for just $500 dollars american you can get your hands on a stinger missile launcher wich is a hot mover these days.

When I was a kid, my father used to tell me about the dozens of surplus aircraft that were for sale after WW2. You could get a P51 Mustang for the equivalent of a couple $1000 in today's money.

I cried a lot when I was little... :(

I don't know how much my ex paid for hers, but it was in the hundreds of thousands.

Older model MiG and Sukhois are pretty easy to get your hands on. I think just about everything in Russia is for sale for the right price. :lol:

I'd kill for a MiG-31 or a S-37/Su-47. Or even an Su-37.

But I think all of those are still active duty.

I'd kill for an F-104 too.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Getting your hands on a fighter will be expensive enough. Weapons are going to be stripped off for civillians.

What will kill you financially is the cost to upkeep the thing if you plan on (or are even allowed to?) fly it.

- Maintenance personnel being hired. There's a HUUUUGE difference in the complexity in working on the electrical systems of a Cessna and a Hornet. Older aircraft from the 60's-70's from what I've seen typically have complex electrical schematics to modern ones like the Hornet. These days they're trying to make it simpler for the maintainer, even going so far as the jet telling you what's wrong with it to an extent. Qualified, licensed personnel will cost you. In the US, you'll need some guys with FAA, AMP, etc. licenses.

- Cost of replacement parts. This is what kills you and what makes modern aircraft so expensive. A refurbished Inertial Navigation Unit (I won't tell the type) costs about $250,000 US! I've seen little 8"x5" panels cost $6,000 US! Let's not even talk about the avionics and powerplants!

- Fuel. I'm not sure how much fuel costs but if you're an avid fan of using your afterburners...

Edited by Warmaker

I don't know how much my ex paid for hers, but it was in the hundreds of thousands.

You dated somebody with a P51...? :o Only in California, I guess. :lol:

I don't know what they sell for now, but I believe it's somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Yeah the chick had some strange priorities... She had a P51 that she flew illegally under the Golden Gate bridge all the time, she would fly low over the low income housing areas because no one would complain but people would come running out of their houses like it was the end of the world. She also drove an H1 Hummer, which caught on fire one day when she was racing it... I didn't know exactly what to say to that. She was just kind of a crazy chick, she was a former military intelligence officer in the Bosnian Army (I think she had killed many people) and I think it scrambled her head a little so I tried not to give editorial on her behavior. :wacko:

Yeah the chick had some strange priorities... She had a P51 that she flew illegally under the Golden Gate bridge all the time, she would fly low over the low income housing areas because no one would complain but people would come running out of their houses like it was the end of the world. She also drove an H1 Hummer, which caught on fire one day when she was racing it... I didn't know exactly what to say to that. She was just kind of a crazy chick, she was a former military intelligence officer in the Bosnian Army (I think she had killed many people) and I think it scrambled her head a little so I tried not to give editorial on her behavior. :wacko:

Hey, you guys sound perfect together... in a Pinky and the Brain kinda way...

You know what we're going to do today?

Time to fly my black market fighter underneath a national landmark?

No, we're going to try and rule the world!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

with as bad a financial situation Russia is in right now someone (Bill Gates) could buy the Kiev offa them. Man, that would be cool! "hey Mom! i just bought a Aircraft Carrier!"

i'll take the carrier before i take the SSBN...Uncle Sam might look at you a little strange if you bought a SSBN...

2 or more AK's gets you on a list, your bumped up depending on your friends and family...

I wouldnt want an old patrol boat yet alone a carrier! Besides the battles of tomorrow will be fought by small groups well hidden in urban and otherwise shielded areas...

Yeah the chick had some strange priorities... She had a P51 that she flew illegally under the Golden Gate bridge all the time, she would fly low over the low income housing areas because no one would complain but people would come running out of their houses like it was the end of the world.  She also drove an H1 Hummer, which caught on fire one day when she was racing it... I didn't know exactly what to say to that.  She was just kind of a crazy chick, she was a former military intelligence officer in the Bosnian Army (I think she had killed many people) and I think it scrambled her head a little so I tried not to give editorial on her behavior.  :wacko:

Hey, you guys sound perfect together... in a Pinky and the Brain kinda way...

You know what we're going to do today?

Time to fly my black market fighter underneath a national landmark?

No, we're going to try and rule the world!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't think she flys her plane all the places she did back when I was with her... you know with national security and all. However she is a little nuts so who knows... Maybe now she is flying over farms and blowing roofs off of barns or something. That plane was so fast.