Sizes!!

Nausica

sometimes i become confused about the sizes! :unsure:

whether it be 1/48 1/60 1/72 1/100 ect. ect.

if per say i have the 1/60 Q-Rau millia with Millia model also in 1/60,

and say i also have VF-1x in 1/60... so far so good

as i have understood from the series, movies and websites,

a Zentran or Meltlan or Zentradi is as big if not slightly bigger

than a VF-1x in batlloid mode..

if thats true then the millia model/doll should be as big as a VF-1x

then how big would the Q-rau be?

also then i dont se the size are quite right on the models we can buy from various sources?

or am i completely mistaken? :huh:

cuz Millia model is 12cm tall and the Q-Rau is alot bigger than her!

and of what i know the VF-xx in 1/60 is bigger than 12cm tall in Battloid mode! :angry:

am i just stupid? :wacko:

Anyway Happy Macross to you all!!!

Nausica, you are right; 1/60 should be 1/60. The Zentaedi, like us are different sized. Millia is female and shorter than a Zentraedi male, so there will be differences. Some manufacturers don't always get the scales right. All I really do is models and I see differences between manufacturers all the time. If you compare people to people, you're safer. I've seen differences between the Q-Rau in various line drawings. Those problems make scratch building a pain too!

I don't have the toys (except a 1/60 VF-1s - I can't be ALL about models). Maybe someone here knows of an ongoing inconsistency... - MT

The Q-Rau power armor should be a lot bigger than a Miria figure by itself. Also the Zentradi don't necassarily come out as the same size as a VF in battroid mode. Breetai was an unusually large Zen for example.

Edited by Grayson72

Thanks for posting that pic. That's the reference I've been using since the 1980s. Of course, the show didn't keep on-spec with sizes itself all the time.

There was a great deal of variance in size among individual Zentraedi characters' designs as well. Within the context of the show, they were probably also assigned duties based in part on their physical size as well - with some more or less appropriate in stature to squeeze into Tactical Pods and fighters, larger soldiers as ship-board troops and marines, etc. So the Zentraedi we saw directly exposed to Battroids and Destroids in the show might have been physically taller examples of the Zentraedi population, larger individuals typically assigned as infantry or marines (even during the reconstruction period).

To me, sizing is very clear:

The Yamato Miria size is totally wrong. In fact, its size is closer to 1/72 scale:

According with the "Macross Grafitti" book, Miria has 1.71 tall in Micron size, and 8.55 mts in Meltran size (this agree with 5x factor to calculate the zentran size from Micron human: 1.71 x 5 = 8.55 mts)

According with this formula, Miria in 1/72 should measures 11.87 cms (855/72=11.87)... Exactly the size of Yamato figure!!

Also, I have the Club-M 1/72 Q-Rau kit, and it comes with a Miria figure, and its size is the same, 12 cms.

I'm in travel out of my Country, but when I arrive to my home I'll take a pic to my 1/72 stuff, including the Moscato Regult & Soldier, and Yamato Miria figure, all together.

To me, sizing is very clear:

The Yamato Miria size is totally wrong. In fact, its size is closer to 1/72 scale:

According with the "Macross Grafitti" book, Miria has 1.71 tall in Micron size, and 8.55 mts in Meltran size (this agree with 5x factor to calculate the zentran size from Micron human: 1.71 x 5 = 8.55 mts)

According with this formula, Miria in 1/72 should measures 11.87 cms (855/72=11.87)... Exactly the size of Yamato figure!!

Also, I have the Club-M 1/72 Q-Rau kit, and it comes with a Miria figure, and its size is the same, 12 cms.

I'm in travel out of my Country, but when I arrive to my home I'll take a pic to my 1/72 stuff, including the Moscato Regult & Soldier, and Yamato Miria figure, all together.

Yes Please!

that would be helpfull...

still sometimes i think the designers do not agree of what sizes the different things are...

f.ex. when ever a Zetradi is holding a human, u can just se head and feet of that human.. but when the Zentradi defectors

hold the Minn May doll, although she is very small.. still big enough for them to actually hold it in the arms!

when put to the drawing board.. for making models/kits i can see that they sometimes run into walls so to speak..

if they where to fit a action figure/doll into a f.ex. Q-Rau they have to make room inside it!

clearly seen in SDF-M when the Q-Rau is "sitting down" millia is almost just as tall.. that means her legs must go into the legs

of the Q-Rau some of the way..

on another note!

why did they not continue to make the Q-Rau in the series?

it is clearly a "mean lean fighting machine" superior to the variable fighters unless they stomp into Maximilliam ofcause lol!

Happy macross to you all :)

"EDIT" then how the h*** can Kamjin be so big when riding a Monster??? "EDIT"

Edited by Nausica

AcroRay is right. The sizes do vary in the show; that's why Kamjin can ride a monster. When the battle pods go on board the Daedalus, the Daedalus looks twice as big as what it should be. We all can name variances. After all, it's just an animated series - even if it's my all time favorite! - MT

The Q-rau also is one of my favorite mecha of all times.

I just can't get through the fact even female aliens are also size discriminated. I would think that such a tough combatant race would be the same if not bigger than average humans after reduced just because their genes would evolve slightly after many thousands of years. Also I would think the fact they are "produced" genetically would make their genes be manipulated in a way that they would have tougher skin and more muscular features like the green drummer hulk in Fire bomber.. But noooooo, most of the girls have to be smaller than males just because is uncool...

At any rate I took a pic of the 1/72 Club-M Q-rau and the so called 1/60 yamato. They are indeed different in size...

post-104-1206276985_thumb.jpg

At any rate I took a pic of the 1/72 Club-M Q-rau and the so called 1/60 yamato. They are indeed different in size...

The problem with that is the 1/60 Millia should be larger not smaller than the 1/72! :wacko:

The standing figure does come with the model kit. If you don't buy one, you'll regret it! No polycaps, but good wholesome styrene goodness!

Milia is proportionate to the toy, she should stand about as high as the top of the knee. I guess the whole toy is off!? - MT

The standing figure does come with the model kit. If you don't buy one, you'll regret it! No polycaps, but good wholesome styrene goodness!

Milia is proportionate to the toy, she should stand about as high as the top of the knee. I guess the whole toy is off!? - MT

One would think that when they put so much effort into getting the "toy" be of high quality and looking good.. that they would atleast be sure to get the

sizes right.. cuz indeed the Q-rau is not that big compared to the millia models... if i remeber correctly millia should be slightly higher than the top

of the kness.. she is throughout most of what we see in the series...

what the size comparison is in the DYRL version i have no idea.. maybe thay got the Q-rau vs millia sizes there?!?

anyway the toys look so great on those pictures u have taken.. that i have to have atleast on set of millia and Q-rau..

the slightly taller millia whitout the helmet, is she awailable anywhere anymore?

Happy macross

now that whe are at the size! question:

i heard that the 1/60 VF-0 Yamato Series is just as big as 1/48 VF-1 yamato series

i have some if not alot trouble comprehending that :blink::huh::wacko:

if anyone have a answer to this or can brush away the claim...

please doo!

i heard that the 1/60 VF-0 Yamato Series is just as big as 1/48 VF-1 yamato series

please doo!

Easy, the VF-1 is a small airplane and the VF-0 is a big airplane. A VF-0 is 18.69 meters long in fighter mode. The VF-1 is only 14.23 meters long in fighter mode. In real life, the VF-1 is physically smaller. However, if you put a larger scale VF-1 like the 1/48 next to a smaller scale 1/60 VF-0 they will be about the same size. Remember, the scale factor is how many times smaller the model is than the original. A 1/48 scale model is forty eight times smaller, which the 1/60 is sixty times smaller. It's basically the different between a large model of a car and a little Hot Wheels toy.

please doo!

You mean in like these 2 pics? The light-blue one is a repainted 1/48. The one in the middle is the VF-0. The Hikaru is a 1/60.

VF0S2.JPG

VF0S1.JPG

Yeah, it's kinda odd. Some folks have stated that the VF-0 is close to the size of a F-14 Tomcat and the VF-1 is closer in size to the F-16 Falcon. If that's the case Yamato might have it right.

Look at the VF-1 in 1/144 scale in comparison to an F-14 in the same scale -

be0f7c8c.JPG

Notice the hugeness of the Tomcat.

*Note: None these pics are mine

Where can that club M Quedluun Rau be found? Is it available anywhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Thats one of the pit falls of 20 year old anime and SciFi. nobody ever kept accurate drawings and plans back then (with the exception of a certain Californian based film producer), nowadays its part of the process. You know that there will be countless companies wanting action figure rights, and model companies wanting to build the ships and vehicles etc. Macross was not alone I Recall several instances of size changing in TF`s Bumblebee was always changing scale.

In the real world, modeling and toys you'll never have this problem as there are examples of the real items and nowadays cad drawings to build from, plus the Manufactures will sue if you don't get the representation of their product right.

Thats one of the pit falls of 20 year old anime and SciFi. nobody ever kept accurate drawings and plans back then (with the exception of a certain Californian based film producer), nowadays its part of the process. You know that there will be countless companies wanting action figure rights, and model companies wanting to build the ships and vehicles etc. Macross was not alone I Recall several instances of size changing in TF`s Bumblebee was always changing scale.

In the real world, modeling and toys you'll never have this problem as there are examples of the real items and nowadays cad drawings to build from, plus the Manufactures will sue if you don't get the representation of their product right.

i guess ur right there are no real life Variable Fighter manufacturers lol...

but maybe in the future we'll see something similar :ph34r:

i guess ur right there are no real life Variable Fighter manufacturers lol...

but maybe in the future we'll see something similar :ph34r:

At least with Zero onwards there are acurate drawings for the makers to go by so we should see better kits and toys from that era onward.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this thread since I've been trying to find a definative Zentradi size chart and this is as close to what I'm looking for.

So the 1/60 Yamato Q-Ra is really 1/72 scale? If so, great! I can display it next to my 1/72 Hasegawa's, Arii's and Imai's.

So does anybody have a size chart or listing of Zentradi and Meltradi characters outside of their battle suits handy?

Comparing the SDF:M Zentradi (grabbing Roy Focker's VF-1 foot) vs Zentradi surrounding Focker during Hikaru/Minmay's Saturn rescue shows clearly different sizes / scale.

Need help here!

Sorry, no Gold Book for reference. If you have one to sell, email me.

Edited by Neova

MT,

That is great! Do you have a more hires scan of that and any other DYRL specs would be fine with me.

Can't beleive how big Breetai is compared to all of the other Zentradis!

Wonder how tall Kamjin and the 3 infiltratrion spies were also.

Thanks!

Anthony