Final Fantasy XI (ONLINE) is out Thursday 10/30.

UN Spacy

Are you gonna buy Final Fantasy XI?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Are you gonna buy Final Fantasy XI?

• Yes. Final Fantasy XI on the PC (out this Thursday)
    • Yes. Final Fantasy XI on the PS2
    • Nope. I'm nope I'm not getting either version.
    • Maybe.

Either way Squaresoft/Enix is going to charge you $13.00 for the monthly fees. The PS2 is going to cost a little more becuase you'll need the new HDD (Hard Disc Drive) upgrade, Network Adapter, plus the game. Ouch.

But....it looks pretty interesting for a MMORPG. I also think this is the first online gaming venture for Squaresoft/Enix (please correct me if I'm wrong). :)

I may get it for the PC in the future, but not right now. I want to hear what other people think of it before I go and blow 50 bucks on something like that. Not to mention it's also an extra 3 bucks for each character you create besides the 12.95 a month.

I think I'm almost better off playing Everquest for 10 bucks a month on my ps2 : / atleast there I'm Balmunk, god knows what I'd be in FF11.

Besides I'd most likely be an evil character going around and killing others on my lonesome, I've been really into that sorta character recently...so who knows, if they can let me create a neat looking evil character I'm for it.

if you get the PS2 hard drive, it'll come preloaded with XI, so you don't have to buy the game again.

I was thinking about picking it up, its only $30 @ EB GAmes after mail in rebate, and you get a month for free.. it might be worth checkin out. But i agree... longterm the $13 a m onth is pretty heftyy.

I'll be picking up the PC version. Would cost less, especially since I'm not playing my PS2 as much and I don't have an ISP that works with the network adapter, bought the damn thing for nothing but at least it was really cheap when I bought it used. I have high hopes for FFXI, but honestly it will just hold me over till Ultima X: Odyssey comes out. Would most likely put my order for it and the end of next week or sometime next month. Want to find out how the leveling situation is first(if its like EQ then I might pass and just stick with Ultima Online) and the general feeling of the world before I jump into it.

Voted Maybe.

Edited by Effect

I think Abombz has a nice idea, a Macrossworld group for FFXI, hell I tried to create a Dot Hacker group on Everquest, damn thing wouldn't let me though...I'll wait and see if the game is any good and when I get my laptop back than maybe.

Is FFXI out in the U.S. already?

Its due out this Tuesday (PC version). :)

The PS2 version is due out Feb 4th, 2004.

Ahh ok, yeah I kind of got confused there since PSM said it was comming out in winter 2004.

Seeing as how I'll probably get raped getting the PS2 version I'll probably get the PC for my laptop once I get some money.

Then again I'll probably have to get the PS2 hard drive eventualy...

Hmmmmmm maybe I'll buy it tuesday....just stop over at the gamestop near work during lunch and check it out, but I wont play it till I get my laptop back. How much for it since I gotta pay 12.95 a month plus 2.95 for character creation?

And Abombz I'll join up with ya than.

I haven't played a FF game since FF VII and haven't liked any of their entries of late so I'm approaching with caution.

Exactly. FF7 was the first (and ONLY) RPG I've played from beginning to end, I picked up FF8 when it hit the GREATEST HITS list for the PS. But couldn't really get into it, FFXI looks like it's gonna to bring me back into the RPG world. B))

But. I also want to see some reviews before I pick this up. BTW.....it's also on sale at Fry's Electronics for $39.99 B)) .

Voted maybe, its very tempting to get that game and play like mad, but I still wish I'd gotten into the beta to try it out. Currently $13 US is something I might not be willing to play if I don't do play often enough.

I'll get it after a month or so...

Hmmmmmm maybe I'll buy it tuesday....just stop over at the gamestop near work during lunch and check it out, but I wont play it till I get my laptop back. How much for it since I gotta pay 12.95 a month plus 2.95 for character creation?

And Abombz I'll join up with ya than.

Each extra character costs $1 actually. But honestly, considering you can experience every single class in the game with 1 character, I don't see the need for a second character. :)

But. I also want to see some reviews before I pick this up.

Considering I will be the only one here with the game a few days after its released..... I will do a review for who ever is interested. :)

Considering I will be the only one here with the game a few days after its released..... I will do a review for who ever is interested. :)

Be sure to let us know what the leveling situation is like. If its a slow level grind like Everquest I just might pass it. Rather play and have fun then pay to actually work.

Be sure to let us know what the leveling situation is like. If its a slow level grind like Everquest I just might pass it. Rather play and have fun then pay to actually work.

Of course. Thats whats going to help me decide if I'm going to get through the trial month. :)

Yeah. Just about all MMORPG give you a free month when you purchase the game before they start to charge you the monthly fee. I think with FFXI you also get charged an extra $3 for each character your create after your first one. Which I don't like since with other games you get from 5 to 8 slots to create different characters on one account.

Yeah. Just about all MMORPG give you a free month when you purchase the game before they start to charge you the monthly fee. I think with FFXI you also get charged an extra $3 for each character your create after your first one. Which I don't like since with other games you get from 5 to 8 slots to create different characters on one account.

Actually... you get charge $1 only. And I don't know if its a one time charge or a continious charge.

But like I said before, considering 1 character can master everysingle class available, and that race stats are almost not different..... I don't really see the problem with having 1 slot.

If you want to complain about something... complain about random server placement. but then again... theres a good reason for it, and its quite a good idea, as far as dealing with lag goes. :)

from what I was reading in Game mag last weeek, it's exactly $12.95 a month, no mention on the free tial, but when I got everquest I had too input either my credit card number or pre-paid quest card in order to get in, so you actually get two months, with one month free. Could be the same case with Final Fantasy XI.

Secondly, the magazine also stated it's $2.95 for each character you create, doesn't say though if you are also charged the $2.95 for your first character, and yes it is continious or else it wouldn't be said "Per character creation".

One problem I have or else I would diffently go pick this up tomorrow, is if I enlist into the game but than I have too take it off my hard drive and get my regular computer back. When I reload the game, do I have to pay it all over again? Will my account still exist like my files are all over the net? What?! It's a troubling thing I had when I was playing everquest on my PS2....cause it was my friends game and his account technically. But we ended up having me pay for a new account and game for him finding out later he can't even use his network adaptor since his ISP doesnt support online counsel gaming.

Also another reason I'm more than likely to not buy this game tomorrow is the fact I got insurance and car payments, ranging to near 500 dollars in 2 weeks. So it could be as late as the 5th of november, or maybe even december since there's a convention I MAY go too in Eugene.

The US servers went live today.

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/ffxi/sh...postlist&fpart=

It seems that NA and Japanese players aren't getting along. At least some aren't. To be expected I guess. Should make things interesting. Not sure if that's a good interesting or a bad interesting though.

Edited by Effect

It seems that NA and Japanese players aren't getting along. At least some aren't. To be expected I guess. Should make things interesting. Not sure if that's a good interesting or a bad interesting though.

This happened on PSO on the DC and GCN and XBOX.

Most US players are really item grabby and plain old hogs when it comes to Gold/Cash and exp. The Japanese players dont like that. Now they pretty much stereotype all US players like this.

The few bad ones have ruined it for us all. :unsure:

Kinda goes both ways though. Lineage players are very serious about that game, more so then US mmorpg players I believe. I've heard mob connects with that. That right there gives asian players in mmorpg a bad rep, not saying US players are saints, far from it. Also I remember hearing things about certain overseas guilds in Everquest that were pretty controlling on certain servers during their primetimes and even off times. Not sure if that's true anymore though. Since in FFXI they willl be the big dogs so to speak due having the game for some time before everyone else I wouldn't be surprised if they were acting bossy or control freaks about areas, especially when new players come in.

http://jbbs.shitaraba.com/bbs/read.cgi/gam...5091/1067362093

Edited by Effect

You should have seen what happened in the Korean beta version of Lineage II. Korean players were often threatening to PK any english speaking players in the game.

It was pretty lame. They'd be fighting near you, then either steal your kills or steal your money. Then of course you'd feel compelled to blurt out some colorful choice words in English, at which point 4 of them would come near you and follow you and try to get you killed by healing the monsters you were fighting.

Edited by imode

I had few problems when I was playing Everquest as a newb. Granted I leveled up rather quickly and did things on my own accord. But the only reason I leveled up from 1-20 in a few nights was because I joined a guild who had a player who was level 45 and we went against hard giant monsters.

Anyways, there are many players in Everquest that just don't give a rats butty about you and will either take your kills, your items or even try robbing money off of you.

I had alot of PM's from weaker players, and if they weren't too weak I let them aboard and led them around for some EXP, but I was a nice player alot of the times.