Ok that's it I want a yamato Nora SV-51

1/1 LowViz Lurker

I have been looking at pics of it and it looks pretty good.

Instead of reading 1000000+ pages of text which is scattered in various threads about the toy, I created this thread to ask:

Issues!

(1) What are some of the loose, floppy, annoying bits that plague it if any? Last I heard this had no QC issues and was safe for us overseas buyers to risk buying over the ivanov.

(2) Any dangerous stages in the transformation to look out for (similar to having to be careful with the backpack hinge on 1/48 yamato? Or the nubs which can break off or stress of the konig monster? ) If there are any, have you got some pics to show me what is fragile/scary enough to warrant attention on the first attempt trying to transform it?

(3) Should I just wait for the 2nd release ivanov or the new Cannon Fodder SV-51 instead? Will there be any further changes improvements in those?

(4) And lastly: why is the SV-51 so loved? It doesn't look realistic imo to have these beefy missiles hanging off the skinny wings like that. Is Kawamori crazy? Will the wing joint loosen over time to have it in hang in battroid mode with missiles attached? Just looks so damn scary! Like it might go limp. (I'm referring to the pic in battroid mode where the wings are hanging out)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

1. the nora is all good. if anything, things were too tight but thats not bound to last. you'll know what i'm talking about when you see how origami like its.

2. nothing seemed to fragile when i owned one other than maybe the tail spikes? the TF sequences is pretty straight forward other than getting the arms/shoulder correct for battroid/gerwalk modes but you can figure it out using common sense.

3. you could wait for a 2nd release ivanov but you might get stuck with the 1st release. unless theres a definitive way to tell the difference between the 1st and 2nd releases, i have no desire to purchase this. the 1st run was so crappy, you can bet people are going to swap their lemons for good ones. the CF is the same as the Nora, but the CF is stupid looking...the color anyway. i'm waiting until they milk the molds and release a grey scheme.

4. it just looks menancing but i don't really care for it that much. i like it because its plane and it has a unique transformation, otherwise i could careless. i have no allegence to macross zero. my love starts and ends with SDF macross, the rest is "okay" for what it is/was. as stiff as people are claiming the joints are on the Nora, the way the hinges and moving parts are designed, its gonna end up being a floppy mess eventually.

Thanks for the input. For me this is going to be put into fighter mode mainly. So damn skiiiiiiny!

my love starts and ends with SDF macross

So you will be avoiding any future macross 25 toys and stuff? What if bandai for example makes a koenig monster that defeats yamato's effort and the Lego Konig Monster? (I hear it's going to be in this series)

That's good to hear! I am actually more a fan of this toy in fighter mode actually. That's what has sold me on it so far.

I was waiting for 2nd release ivanov but getting impatient. So that's why I'm asking about it.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being best, 1 being worst) what would you give it including all the previous yamato release as comparison to this?

I've never really bought the idea of the inspector gadget-like "head on a skinny stick" gimmick, or the flapping wings idea but it does give you this sinister theme. That the machine is sorta like an angel or demon with bat wings and if you saw one flying in the air it would freak you out. The weirdness/different look helps it stand out more. (the gunpod looks cool too!)

Oh and poor cannon fodder, no love for the brownie! :D Maybe they should release a high vis scheme "training" valk like the VF-1D orange or something?

Thanks for the input. For me this is going to be put into fighter mode mainly. So damn skiiiiiiny!

So you will be avoiding any future macross 25 toys and stuff? What if bandai for example makes a koenig monster that defeats yamato's effort and the Lego Konig Monster? (I hear it's going to be in this series)

i'm not swearing it off completely i'm just saying i don't have to own them all as i don't really care for the macross zero series. the only reason i even saw it was because someone on the boards sent me a copy just to be a nice guy otherwise i never would've bothered to watch it....much like mac 7.

anyway, if they make something unique like the 0D, i'll pick it up but i don't care to own repaints of the same designs...i only make exception for the VF-1 because of childhood nostalgia.

the ivanov/nora/CF are exactly the same, they didn't even give them unique heads....screw that. like i said, i'll pick one up because its has a unique transformation as opposed to a VF-anything but thats the extent of it.

as far as the VF-25, if they make it i'll buy it, but only one design of the same toy. keep in mind that the 1 episode i saw of macross frontier was better than the entire macross zero series so that might have something to do with it. and i can't see how they'd make a better konig than the one we got now, its pretty good as is....what do you think needs to be changed?

i'd say a 6 out of 10. its cool in fighter mode but thats about it. its sad that i'm willing to fork over this kind of money for a toy i plan to keep in fighter mode. i should just buy a model....

what do you think needs to be changed?

Battroid mode can't point the cannon forward like in the pictures I've seen from the vfx game.

Maybe add a bit more detail, have the little gun on the chest there, and the two things at the side of its arm open up. (these have been forced shut)

Maybe add stiffer clicky joints on the hips. Make the individual barrels posable. (you can sort of pose them by twisting them but I was thinking you just push them up or down) Landing gears etc

Battroid mode can't point the cannon forward like in the pictures I've seen from the vfx game.

Maybe add a bit more detail, have the little gun on the chest there, and the two things at the side of its arm open up. (these have been forced shut)

Maybe add stiffer clicky joints on the hips. Make the individual barrels posable. (you can sort of pose them by twisting them but I was thinking you just push them up or down) Landing gears etc

alright a couple of small things that were a non-issue for me, but obviously an issue for some.

i agree, they totally botched the design of missile pods in the arms. i actually modded mine so they can open but its still kind of meh. don't get me wrong, i totally agree with everything you said, you're talking about very minute things(outside of the cannon mount in battroid) that i really wouldn't consider an improvement, more so than a mod.

back on topic,

so are you going to get the nora or not? :D

Are you going to get a cannon fodder?

I actually like this color even though it is totally off from the OVA. I would get one if I could afford it. We will see where my finances are when the time comes. If money was not much of an issue then I would splurge.

EDIT: for now I am very happy with my Nora and need to create more space to fit her in my display in gerwalk mode.

Edited by miriya

It is such a sexy bird! You cant resist! Just buy it already. But dont get it from Jchung on ebay unless you are willing to wait over a month to receive it.

Mine took like 3 weeks to get here, only because I kinda said I'd be contacting Ebay and Paypal after about 2 weeks. Regardless, order or pick up from a more reputable seller as Jchung is not very speedy and doesn't really package things well (though my box made it here with only minor dings).

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 10. All of the issuses(there weren't many) that were present in the Ivanov have been addressed in the Nora Scheme. The only problem I have with my dd is the loss missiles. But that isn't a big deal in my book anyway.

I really love both the VF-0 and SV-51. I think they are both superior designs to the vf-1 series. They both look futuristic yet modern at the same time. I think the that the SV-51 only weakness is the Battroid mode. I think it has the 2nd weakest battroid mode appearance next to the yf-21. Both of my sv-51's stay primarily in fighter mode. I aslo think that the 51 has either the best or 2nd best Gerwalk mode next to the yf-19. The SV-51 has such a menancing appearance it just screams evillll valk.

It is such a sexy bird! You cant resist! Just buy it already. But dont get it from Jchung on ebay unless you are willing to wait over a month to receive it.

Haha thanks for the heads up. The only reason I postponed purchase was the

a) tradition of avoiding first releases :D

b) waiting for ivanov 'fixed' version.

It's not like I've planned to not buy it, or anything, just deciding on the when.

I think that you could consider Nora as a second release. It so far has all the fixes that the Ivanov needed.

If you like Ivanov's SV-51 better and you do not plan on getting both then sure, I can understand waiting for an official second release ivanov.

However it is a dark bird and like the stealth easily disappears in the display case unless you use spectacular lighting effects.

But if you are planning to get both then I do not think there is any QC reason to wait on Nora.

My left Nora wing has a loose hinge, so it does affect display purposes. That is, if your going to display the wings plus ordnance and boosters in retracted wing mode. I'll get around to clear nail polishing it though..

A lot of it depends on how you put them on the stand too. I have mine sitting 45 deg from vertical and even my Ivanof with the loose wings doesn't droop.