Will you cancel your pre-orders to get a lower price???

misterryno

Will you cancel your pre-orders to get a lower price???  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cancel your pre-orders to get a lower price???

• Yes
    • No

Hey all, There has been alot of discussion over the price that Yamato (and other companies) has been charging for the items that they are releasing (YF-21 for example). And I for one would like to know if anyone will jump on the bandwagon with me and cancel your pre-orders so that you can maybe get a lower price. Let me know if you will or won't and a reason if you please. THANKS.

:ph34r:

I don't understand the point of your question. Do you mean in terms of trying to get Yamato to lower its price points or to just get the best deal from a dealer?

I am sorry.....I should have been more clear. I mean for Yamato to lower their price points.

:ph34r:

That would probably royally screw our overseas and local dealers, so NO.

It would be best if there was an organized "No Pre-Order period Strike" set up ahead of time

I understand your point. Thank you for your input. :ph34r:

That would probably royally screw our overseas and local dealers, so NO.

It would be best if there was an organized "No Pre-Order period Strike" set up ahead of time

how would yamato lowering their wholesales price hurt overseas/local dealers?

if anything, i would imagine it would help them since they could sell everything for less and in turn, sell a lot more of them. moving inventory at a lesser profit is far better than sitting on inventory and making nothing.

If it would send a message, I would but I doubt it would. People who sell to America don't buy directly from Yamato, they go through buyers themselves, so it's not like whatever retailer you're dumping has any say in the matter. Maybe those folks in asia with a directline to Yamato could do it.

Frankly though, higher prices is not just a Yamato problem. A lot of the smaller toy companies are charging higher prices.

Frankly though, higher prices is not just a Yamato problem. A lot of the smaller toy companies are charging higher prices.

Right, that is why I said Yamato and other companies.

Meh, no one else is talking about other companies. Everyone is talking exclusively about yamato.

I am as well...but I was just saying that I also listed "other companies" as another party that does the same.

I wouldnt cancel a preorder simply because I committed to buy it at that price. If it looked like a good deal at the time it should still be a good deal. How would I feel if the company decided to cut my preorder and not sell it to me simply because of high demand. I would be pissed.

I wouldnt cancel a preorder simply because I committed to buy it at that price. If it looked like a good deal at the time it should still be a good deal. How would I feel if the company decided to cut my preorder and not sell it to me simply because of high demand. I would be pissed.

Hmmmmm.....good point.....THANKS :ph34r:

I am as well...but I was just saying that I also listed "other companies" as another party that does the same.

Don't get me wrong, I only talked about yamato as well. I just wanted to bring it back up since we have such a yamato/macross focus.

i know what hes trying to make, it was just worded wrong.

canceling a pre-order on a dealer is a bit different from not placing a pre-order.

the title should've been something like, "will you stop placing pre-orders if it means you'll get a lower price?"

Don't get me wrong, I only talked about yamato as well. I just wanted to bring it back up since we have such a yamato/macross focus.

I gotcha.....

Also, to LOS....this topic does not mean I will cancel my pre-order with you. I have done that once and swore to not do it again (to you) unless I REALLY need to. I like you and your company way too much.

i know what hes trying to make, it was just worded wrong.

canceling a pre-order on a dealer is a bit different from not placing a pre-order.

the title should've been something like, "will you stop placing pre-orders if it means you'll get a lower price?"

I can change this right??? I will try. THANKS DnD

how would yamato lowering their wholesales price hurt overseas/local dealers?

if anything, i would imagine it would help them since they could sell everything for less and in turn, sell a lot more of them. moving inventory at a lesser profit is far better than sitting on inventory and making nothing.

The way Interpreted the question was: You have a preorder placed, say LOS, and you cancel it hoping it will be cheaper later...???

Meanwhile LOS has 1 extra item to sale while he curses you and adds you to his blacklist B))

Now if say 50 people were to do that... 10,000 in sales lost. Poor bankrupt LOS

Don't get me wrong. I WANT my Yamato's at a cheaper price. I just don't agree with this method. It would create a lot of bad blood between buyers and sellers.

If you guys want to step up a boycott ahead of time on a specific Yamato ahead of time, say CF-SV-71, sign me up.

Canceling a commitment in this manner, is just dishonorable IMHO.

The way Interpreted the question was: You have a preorder placed, say LOS, and you cancel it hoping it will be cheaper later...???

Meanwhile LOS has 1 extra item to sale while he curses you and adds you to his blacklist B))

Now if say 50 people were to do that... 10,000 in sales lost. Poor bankrupt LOS

Don't get me wrong. I WANT my Yamato's at a cheaper price. I just don't agree with this method. It would create a lot of bad blood between buyers and sellers.

If you guys want to step up a boycott ahead of time on a specific Yamato ahead of time, say CF-SV-71, sign me up.

Canceling a commitment in this manner, is just dishonorable IMHO.

100% agree. canceling a pre-order is sticking to the vendor, definitely not cool.

i think he worded his topic wrong, and i don't think theres a way to edit a poll? at least not as a regular member.

100% agree. canceling a pre-order is sticking to the vendor, definitely not cool.

i think he worded his topic wrong, and i don't think theres a way to edit a poll? at least not as a regular member.

Yes I totally agree with Roy's Blues too....and I cannot find a way to edit this. But if people are reading this....then they will understand. I am not a dishonerable person....and I hate to sound like that cause I worded this wrong. My apologies and I hope a mod can change the question to this...

Will you stop placing pre-orders if it means you'll get a lower price?

I put that I would cancel a preorder for a better price, moreso if I could get it locally. However, I wouldn't go on a pre-order "strike" to try to fix the problem. If you look at economically, the cost of living is much higher in Japan, where these toys come from. So, off the bat, without any markup and import cost, you have a higher priced toy. Then add in your importing cost, and you have the prices we see here. We, as consumers in the U.S., are also after thought when it comes to these Macross toys. They aren't really meant to be sold outside of Japan, so I doubt they'll lower their cost because consumers in their secondary or third market want it so. I wish it was different, but that's the way it goes for us. :ph34r:

I put that I would cancel a preorder for a better price, moreso if I could get it locally. However, I wouldn't go on a pre-order "strike" to try to fix the problem. If you look at economically, the cost of living is much higher in Japan, where these toys come from. So, off the bat, without any markup and import cost, you have a higher priced toy. Then add in your importing cost, and you have the prices we see here. We, as consumers in the U.S., are also after thought when it comes to these Macross toys. They aren't really meant to be sold outside of Japan, so I doubt they'll lower their cost because consumers in their secondary or third market want it so. I wish it was different, but that's the way it goes for us. :ph34r:

Heh....that's a good point too. THANKS Jason

well in that case, its kind of hard to answer.

most stateside vendors get their prices based on how many they buy, and that number is based on how many pre-orders they get. its hard for a stateside vendor to offer a good price if they only order 4pcs. if no one is pre-ordering, then its not worth it to the seller to take the chance of stocking a high priced item and hoping people still come and buy at a higher price.

honestly, it really depends on what the seller is willing to make per transaction. some sellers are more greedy than others, some less. if it was me, i'd try to get as many as i can, for as cheap as i can, then we'd all be paying a lot less and everyone wins.

in theory its good, but when you factor in returns/exchanges/breakages, its impossible to keep in fair for everyone, especially the person doing all the leg work and fronting the majority of the money, hence why sellers have a markup.

In the past, I would stick with a seller, even if that seller charged more than someone else out of loyalty. I mean, i would cancel if say, i lost my job or something (got the late 90/early 2000 was fun for IT people) but for the most part, I would stick with a vendor I knew. But now, I feel like that was just me being stupid because I don't feel any sort of loyalty at all coming back from those retailers.

I don't mind if a seller charges more, I just want an equivalent level of service in exchange.

i beg to differ. i know for a fact what chinese/japanese fans are paying and its not anywhere near what we pay.

the average price of a 1/48 when the first came out was $85...yeah $85.

the YF-19(that most of paid $200 for) was only $122 there.

i beg to differ. i know for a fact what chinese/japanese fans are paying and its not anywhere near what we pay.

the average price of a 1/48 when the first came out was $85...yeah $85.

the YF-19(that most of paid $200 for) was only $122 there.

Remember that whoever wants to sell a toy like that in the US or Europe needs to ship is halfway around the world, pay import taxes and make a little profit for his trouble.

In the past, I would stick with a seller, even if that seller charged more than someone else out of loyalty. I mean, i would cancel if say, i lost my job or something (got the late 90/early 2000 was fun for IT people) but for the most part, I would stick with a vendor I knew. But now, I feel like that was just me being stupid because I don't feel any sort of loyalty at all coming back from those retailers.

I don't mind if a seller charges more, I just want an equivalent level of service in exchange.

quoted for truth!

when people ask who i buy from, i usually just tell them to stick to the same vendor as they will appreciate your repeat business and maybe offer discounts and such when he can. sometimes they do, sometimes they don't but its just easier(and safer) dealing with the same seller you're comfortable with rather than bouncing around from vendor to vendor trying to get the best deal.

unfortunately, the seller i was loyal too just stopped offering his service after a bunch of folks here flaked on him.

i don't blame him for closing up but i miss his service(and him) dearly...those were the good old days. :(

Remember that whoever wants to sell a toy like that in the US or Europe needs to ship is halfway around the world, pay import taxes and make a little profit for his trouble.

no doubt. i know how it all works, its just that the price that we pay(US fans) is not equivalent to what HK/japanese fans pay you might pay import tax in the netherlands, but the US pays no such tax. besides $78+ seems quite a bit of a mark up for a secondary seller(thats if he even paid retail), not even considering the actual wholesale price of these.

I voted YES before reading the thread, so let me elaborate. YES- I would cancel a preorder if I found the item at a different reputable site for substantially less ($10 or more). No one is obligated to buy a preordered item just because it's preordered, unless the site has a 'no preorder cancellation' policy.

NO- I would not cancel a preorder as a sort of statement for Yamato (or whomever) to lower their prices. It's a noble idea, but the thought of getting the legions of collectors organized in a large enough strike to make a difference is nightmarish at best.

One thing to keep in mind is that many Japanese fans can buy from a retailer who can buy directly from Yamato. U.S dealers have to buy through a secondary distributor who adds on their markup after receiving their wholesale discount from Yamato. U.S dealers don't truly get the same discount as a dealer in Japan.

Then the U.S dealer adds on air shipping, import taxes, business overhead, etc and their 'profit' to get their asking price. Hence, a much higher price of a Valkyrie stateside. Air shipping is what kills the price for buying a Valkyrie stateside. A dealer can opt to ship via ocean liner but that's a 3-4 week delay and you really need to order a large volume to make it work.

One thing to keep in mind is that many Japanese fans can buy from a retailer who can buy directly from Yamato. U.S dealers have to buy through a secondary distributor who adds on their markup after receiving their wholesale discount from Yamato. U.S dealers don't truly get the same discount as a dealer in Japan.

Then the U.S dealer adds on air shipping, import taxes, business overhead, etc and their 'profit' to get their asking price. Hence, a much higher price of a Valkyrie stateside. Air shipping is what kills the price for buying a Valkyrie stateside. A dealer can opt to ship via ocean liner but that's a 3-4 week delay and you really need to order a large volume to make it work.

So then....can we here in the US or I...as a regular joe (actually Ryan ^_^ ) buy directly from Yamato? I didn't think we could. If I am wrong...then paint me green and call me Gumby....I'm in :D

So then....can we here in the US or I...as a regular joe (actually Ryan ^_^ ) buy directly from Yamato? I didn't think we could. If I am wrong...then paint me green and call me Gumby....I'm in :D

You cn buy directly from Yamato, but since you are only buying in small quatities you will recieve an "In User" price (which is usually high) and not the coveted "Large Ditributor Price".