Verification on origin of Valkyrie name

Syngyne

The Advanced Tactical Fighter program started in 1981, but the F-22 wasn't designed until some time later. Since this guy is advancing an idea that's counter to commonly known facts, it's incumbent on him to provide quotes and precise references.

It could be that he's confusing the ATF program (which involved the competition between YF-22 and YF-23) with the plot of Macross Plus.

The YF-21? was directly inspired by the YF-23 prototype.

Dont you mean YF-22? YF-21/VF-22 looks alot more like the YF-21 than the YF-23 IMO

EDIT: Damn it. lol. I meant YF-21 (Guld)/ VF-22 (Max) Sturmovgel II [Macross Valkyrie] looks more like the YF-22/F-22 (now F/A-22) Raptor [Real Life fighter] than the YF-23 Whatever (Black Widow).

Edited by Uxi

Dont you mean YF-22? YF-21/VF-22 looks alot more like the YF-21 than the YF-23 IMO

The YF-21/VF-22 looks like the YF-21 because it IS the YF-21.

I think you have your aircraft classifications mixed up. In Macross Plus it was 21/22. In real life it was 22/23. The M+ 21/22 was based on the real life YF-23.

The YF-21/VF-22 looks like the YF-21 because it IS the YF-21.

I think you have your aircraft classifications mixed up. In Macross Plus it was 21/22. In real life it was 22/23. The M+ 21/22 was based on the real life YF-23.

That's what I was trying to say.

F-22 was supposed to be the Lightning II (that's where the VF-4 Lightning III came from) but they changed the F-22's name to the Rapier then finally to the Raptor. it was after this they changed it's designation from F-22 to F/A-22.

That's so messed up I don't know where to start. Thankfully other people have posted the right info. :)

Can't name something after something that doesn't have that name. I mean, c'mon. What's next, the Macross itself was named after the USS New Jersey? "They're both big ships" :p

That's so messed up I don't know where to start. Thankfully other people have posted the right info. :)

Can't name something after something that doesn't have that name. I mean, c'mon. What's next, the Macross itself was named after the USS New Jersey? "They're both big ships" :p

Don't be silly.

The New Jersey was named after the Macross. :p

I did, but not in the way you think. The Sturmvogel looks more like the Raptor than the YF-23 is what I meant. At least visually.... at least to me. Lets see some comparo pics. ;)

YF-21 is a ,modded YF-23, hands down. Nothing's from the YF-22. (IMNSHO) The engines in trapezoidal nacelles above the main fuselage clinch it.

PS--you know those diamond/hexagon vents all over the YF-21? Only one other aircraft has vents like those--the YF-23. :) (Y/F-22 uses sawtooth style)

Edited by David Hingtgen

The VF-1 was named after the XB-70 Valkyrie Super Sonic Bomber of the early to mid sixties, which in turn derived its name from Norse mythology (the Valkyries were super-natural maidens who roamed battlefields and carried the spirits of slain warriors deemed worthy to Valhalla where they would await to be called back to action at Ragnoroch (spelling?).

PS--you know those diamond/hexagon vents all over the YF-21? Only one other aircraft has vents like those--the YF-23. :) (Y/F-22 uses sawtooth style)

i only see 4 and those just those missle launchers. can you make a pic thats points them out?

Ok, "all over" is too strong a term. How about "obvious"? Also, check out the top of the engine nacelles for some hexagon patterns. (The YF-23 has them BETWEEN the nacelles, the YF-21 has them on the nacelles.)

Edited by David Hingtgen

And hey--gotta use the YF-22 to compare, not the F-22. F-22 wasn't around when the YF-21 was designed. YF-22 and F-22 are not the same plane, it's like YF-17 vs F/A-18F. F-22 has different nose, h.stabs, v.stabs, and most importantly pretty much an all-new wing compared to a YF-22. :p (Plus a lot of other little things)

The New Jersey was named after the Macross. :p

damn, and here all this time i thought the Enterprise was named after the Macross

It's really quite simple. The ship's name is called the Enterprise. Its name is the Macross. The ship is called the Royal Oak (after the Kongo). And the ship is the New Jersey.

I don't see why the confusion.

And hey--gotta use the YF-22 to compare, not the F-22. F-22 wasn't around when the YF-21 was designed. YF-22 and F-22 are not the same plane, it's like YF-17 vs F/A-18F. F-22 has different nose, h.stabs, v.stabs, and most importantly pretty much an all-new wing compared to a YF-22. :p (Plus a lot of other little things)

post-2-1066929643.jpg

wow david, thanks, i've been wanting to see the differences forever but never really found a pic that illustrates them.

Nice. Now can someone put a YF-21 and/or VF-22 up there as well as a YF-23 (real life)?

I dunno, I guess I'm just not enough of a jet buff, but the Omega One looks more like the YF-22 than the YF-23 IMO. Especially the shape of the wings and top view sihlouette as well as the vertical stabilizers from front view.

Nice.  Now can someone put a YF-21 and/or VF-22 up there as well as a YF-23 (real life)? 

I dunno, I guess I'm just not enough of a jet buff, but the Omega One looks more like the YF-22 than the YF-23 IMO.  Especially the shape of the wings and top view sihlouette as well as the vertical stabilizers from front view.

You're kidding, right?

It doesn't take a jet buff to see that except for the intakes and the engines, the YF-21 and the 23 look exactly the same.

Here, just for fun--

DSCF0099.JPG

Edited by imode

Uxi, sure you don't have -22 and -23 confused? I mean, how could the YF-22 (with FOUR tail fins of different shape) possibly look more like the YF-21's TWO fins, when the YF-23 has TWO fins set at the same angle as the YF-21 with the same shape fins? That's always been the #1 thing---YF-23's tail configuration is utterly unique, and the same as the YF-21's. (Somewhat belatedly known as a pelican tail due to proposed X-32 configuration)