Nadia

Fort Max

I certainly don't know if you'd like it, but I found it to be fairly okay. I'm somewhat skeptical about 'old fan favourites' sometimes, e.g. Animeondvd gave Irresponsible Captain Tylor TV good/great reviews etc. when I didn't find it to be special. Of course, this isn't always the case since there's shows like Patlabor and whatnot that are indeed my favourites. :p But that's a different matter.

Nadia I found to be a mixed bag; episodes ranged from being good to just plain dumb. Personally I wouldn't pay for it but I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with me. It's somewhat reminiscent of Miyazaki stuff, but not up to par. It might be your cup of tea; after all, it's Gainax's work.

Call it pre-Evangalian, classic Gianax. I love the series. Mind you, I went in expecting a variation of "10,000 Leagues Under the Sea", which the show essentially is.

There are a lot of elements and ideas that Gianax recycled in later shows (especially Evangalion), and just to see their first appearances is a nice icing on the cake. It's got a good story too. Though, keep in mind that it's an NHK show, and there are parts of it that are pseudo-educational.

I remember Nadia back from the Streamline VHS days. A long, long time ago in college I remember renting each video from the local indie rental place as they came out. I thought the show was good... at the time. I never saw the end of it because Streamline went under before they could release the whole thing and I only remember seeing up to volume 8 or something like that (which was about 16 episodes). From what I remember the show has a very Jules Verne feel to it and it mimes a lot of his concepts and ideas. I also remember the show being very lighthearted and one of those "feels like an '80s anime but has that weird early '90s patina to it" kind of shows. I'd watch it again if I could see the whole thing this time... but I sure won't pay $80 to see it.

From what I remember it does share some story elements and plot devices with Laputa, but really only in the same sense of how it shares story elements with Jules Verne. I recall it being very "borrow heavy" in its designs and story elements from various sources but overall I don't remember it being anything like Laputa outside of a few story set pieces that bear similarity. I mean, there are only so many story arcs and plot elements that go around before everything "copies" something else.

But the underlying point of Nadia being "borrow heavy" rings true. It's a Gianax show, which means the parody/homage is thick. Even when watching it back in the '90s I thought it was a little over the top in some of it's homage. Nemo in particular.

Ohh, Gainax, Nemo, Laputa, I'm liking what I'm hearing here.

Also, it may say $80 on AOD's site but deep discount dvd has it for $56 and in UK pounds it's about £28. To put that in perspective, a standard volume of any anime show costs £20 new on the shelves here so 39 episodes for that money is a pretty good deal for me. :D

Thanks for the insights guys, I think I'll go for it when I get paid tomorrow.

Overall, its a pretty good series, although theres a somewhat bizarre segment in the middle of its run which was caused, I believe, by the series being so popular that the number of episodes were increased and this wasn't planned for... its a good old rip-roaring yarn for the most part, and if you liked Laputa, Mysterious Cities of Gold, or Turn-A Gundam you should like this.

When I initially saw the designs for Nadia way back in '88 or so, I wasn't at all interested in seeing the show. To me, it looked like it was going to be a silly kid's show. I turned out being totally wrong after actually seeing it for the first time. Now, Nadia is one of my favorite shows.

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Fort Max.

Nadia's a great show, and definately well worth what you'll find it priced in online discounts. There is a stretch of 11 off episodes towards the end of the series, but that's not the fault of Anno, it was a decision forced on the series by its funding network. The rest of the show is classic Gainax, and fits nicely in anime history between Gunbuster & Eva.

I so happen to be watching it too. In the middle of the series, so can't really give u a more detailed review. But from the first half of it, its a decently good show. Enjoyable, likable characters(but not a lot of depth), pretty cheap DVD sets for a long series, and there are fun moments. But nothing particularly very cool or exciting about it. Its set in 1889, but the design on a lot of things seems not quite fit in to the era visually, giving u a sense of disbelief from time to time. Its a decently good kids adventure show with solid animation and consistent art from episodes to episodes, from waht I've seen. Nothing bad about it, but it probably won't become one of your top favorites.

In a sort of similar genre (young boy & girl adventure), I find Crest of the Stars series more enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...
Wait until you see the ending, it takes a decidedly awesome turn at the end.

I get what you mean now. Just finished the TV series, as well as the movie. The ending few episodes sure is the saving grace of the show. Again, not that the show is bad at all. Its good. Just not super good. But you do grow to like the characters, and it leads to a pretty epic battle in the conclusion. The last few episodes are also very well drawn. Great ship battles and explosions. For a late 80s TV show, the quality is pretty high on those episodes. Though I don't quite like the show after the halfway point. Lots of filler episodes that try to be funny. It was light hearted mostly, but they really push it there to a point I am scratching my head. Some episodes there look pretty low budget too, with the drawings and animation quality going down, until it slowly pick up towards the end. So ovreall, a good show, and very good at some point. I can see why it became a classic for some. And I swear I almost thought I was watching Gunbuster at certain moment. The animation, the ship designs, the color, the laser effects...look sooo Gunbuster sometimes. :lol:

However, the movie is quite a disappointment. Its the first time I saw a feature length animated movie that actually has a much lower budget than its TV show! The drawings are off and the smooth signature Gainax animation (I am not talking about the bounce :lol: ) is just not there. Story is just ok, nothing too memorable. It feels more like a one and a half hour long mediocre episode, and all the cool bits in the TV episodes are gone. Having the first half hour all flashback of TV footage doesn't help either. Again, the first time I've seen a feature movie that looks cheap compare to its original TV. And people back then pay to see this?! Interesting... Good that it just comes as a freebie in my DVD set.

The island episodes that drag on do so for one very good reason, they don't belong there :) Likely they would have been 2-3 episodes tops, just so Blue Noah could have been found, and then right on to Africa (sans the 3 episode interlude there), and the epic ending. Unfortunately, Gainax fell into pressure from the network to extend the shows run (as it was popular), Anno got pissed off & left the company (just as he did with Kare Kano a few years later), and someone else filled in those island episodes (hence the lower budget, and random stories). Taking that into account, the original plotted Nadia stands much stronger. Be you an Anno fan or not, that man know's how to do epic endings that bring the house down. Definately one of my all time favorite director's.

As for the movie, that wasn't even done by Gainax...an I think characters named "fudgy" have been banned from all anime forever thanks to that horrible piece of garbage that looks ilke it was made here.

Thanks for the info. It does explain why the show feels out of place at times.

Can't believe Fuzzy is actually used as a name for a supposedly attractive girl in the movie. :lol: (Yeah, it actually spells FUZZY in the show, not just in subtitle. Its written on Nadia's bookcover in the end "Mystery of Fuzzy". Maybe we'll have Furry, Bumpy, or Soggy next. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. It does explain why the show feels out of place at times.

Can't believe Fuzzy is actually used as a name for a supposedly attractive girl in the movie. :lol: (Yeah, it actually spells FUZZY in the show, not just in subtitle. Its written on Nadia's bookcover in the end "Mystery of Fuzzy". Maybe we'll have Furry, Bumpy, or Soggy next. :rolleyes:

Oh I know how it's spelled, but she''ll always be "fudgy" to me. Just the pinacle of a pile of bad idea's slammed together. Naturally Nadia's history of a circus performer made her the perfect candidate to be a news reporter...