macross 7 ending

mylene's fan

Redeeming vader doesn't even come around until jedi. In a new hope, there's no mention of it, vader is just a bad guy. In ESB, vader is still a bad guy but revealed to be daddy, but nobody, including luke says anything about redeeming him. It's not until RoJ does redeem vader become important for luke, so it wasn't central to the story at all, until the prequels made it all about vader.

It's always been about vader.

Since "A New Hope" aka "Star Wars the Movie" was expected to be a "one off" movie, Lucas took the part of the story that would be best suited to a single movie. He didn't expect it to become what it did while he filmed it.

I read a synopsis of the pre-star wars story in the SW book "Weapons of the Empire" (or something like that) long before Lucas decided to do the prequels and it tracked fairly closely to what was eventually filmed at least in a story outline sort of way.

That always puzzled me, how could he continue to be some sort of doomsday weapon if he didn't have his EVIL series body?

Same with Gigile! How could he destory a planet without his EVIL Series body?

With Gigile, he warped in his EVIL series body before he destroyed the planet.

I totally forgot that the Protodevlin were noncorporeal.

I thought the ending of Macross 7 was amazing (indeed the last third was pretty much wonderful anyway) - Basara moving the galaxy with his song, that sends a shiver down my spine every time :lol:

That being said I *do* which the series had some sort of epilogue. One of the thing I love about the original Macross and that makes it rather unique - is that rather that just ending after the big final battle and voilĂ  (like eck... most anime series do), you have this small series of episodes that form some sort of nice epilogue to Macross' story and characters, while setting up the future. I wish Macross 7 had something like that (sure we got Dynamite 7 but that was rather meh and didn't brought much to the table).

What's up with Gepernitch taking the human body

Yeah speaking of that - you'd think at the end Gepernitch could release poor Ivano Gunther's body rather than taking off with it ^_^ I always thought this was rather unfair for the poor guy :p

-Sergorn

you mean "her" famly. Gunther's hips were too wide to be a man. As for givng the body back, it was way too late, the PD had a possession time limit before bodies perminently became theirs. And since those bodies had been possessed for years, there was no way they could give them back. You'll note they never actually left their PD bodies, even when possessing others like Gigil & Gunther. They always maintained a connection with the EVIL bodies.

Imagine if at the end of the SW trilogy, lucas just dropped the vader as luke's dad plot line.

He has actually done much worse than that with Star Wars I-II-III, actually revealing what everyone just imagined and (my thought) simply ruining the magic of the "unspoken". ^_^

Edited by Nexx Stalker

True, though I'd say it's not so much about the "Power of Music" - as it is about the power of the human heart and how it can make the impossible possible - though in this case symbolised through Basara's music. That's a very recurring thematic throughout Kawamori's work though not always in a positive light (that was pretty much a part of both Macross Plus and Escaflowne which were made roughly at the same time as Macross 7). But that's what I like about the thematic of Macross 7... it's just very heartening... make you believe you could pretty much do anything if you put your heart to it :lol:

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

I've got no problem with the ending of M7 and I'm actually glad many threads were left unresolved. Much like real life, not everything gets wrapped up all nice and tidely all at once.

Indeed.

The main story, the Protodelvin attacks on M7 was certainly dealt with. Geperenich (and Glavil) seems to get off a bit easy (with not even a "sorry about the millions we've killed and wounded")....

Well seriously, even if Max wanted to make it an issue, Gepelnitch still could have b!tchslapped the remaining 7 fleet. The only smart decision there would be to let them go back to whatever dimension they were going to.

Edited by Keith

Why do people in here not think spiral power in gurren lagann is not the same as anima spiritia? They both seem pretty similar. both are driven by a persons feelings and convictions.

vinnie

EDIT IN: Not to mention the similarities between kamina and basara. Hated them at first but then understood them. Only difference was kamina served as a vehicle for growth of the protagonist while basara WAS the protagonist.

Edited by justvinnie