High Definition Media & Technology Thread

Work the clearance rack. I got a really good 5.1 set for 1200, and I can get a couple more surrounds for a hundred easy, just no point it takes up a good bit of space and I don't know where I'm going to stay next. But yeah good speakers will last forever and now really great receivers are $500 new, you can do better with effort.

Told you guys the sales were coming. ^_^

There have been a couple every few weeks. Not to the frequency they are in the Christmas shopping season, but I'd call that one a no-brainer. ;)

Wow... samsung's customer support sucks.

So my tv, an ln-t4665F started having problems resolving the right border of the screen. It took me 2 seperate calls to arrange for a service technician to come out and fix the issue. And the service took two tries. The first time they didn't bring the right part and the second time, they replaced the whole screen.

Now, I have a new problem, the NEW screen has a brown line of dead pixels running from top to bottom down the middle of the screen. The service company didnt' want to service the TV again so I had to wait nearly 2 weeks while they submitted an exchange request to Samsung. At the end of last month, I was told that they didn't have my model in stock and they were going to replace it with this year's model ln-46a550. Great, new TV, better specs ... I was miffed this new TV cost about 800 bucks less than what I paid for mine last year and I asked samsung to give me an equivalently PRICED tv.. no go, but that was fine, I was still getting a new TV.

The exchange department told me 2-3 weeks on April 30th... so here we are, 3 weeks later, I call back trying to find out where my TV is... oh, now I get to wait till June 6th for them to even have it in stock. So I asked the guy why I wasn't told of the scheduling change... and he tells me, "well, we're really busy." <_<

Update... still no TV, but samsung upgraded my replacement TV to the 52" at no cost to me. suddenly, I love samsung again.. :lol:

Well, I finally pulled the trigger. I now have a Panasonic TC-32LZ800 on the way. Here's hoping!

Edit:

Well my TC-32LZ800 arrived today! Zero dead/stuck pixels! There's no buzzing coming from the TV either. (It's been reported that there may be some buzzing)

Regarding the sound coming from the speakers. The speakers aren't the greatest, but they aren't bad either. I can hear conversations just fine at 1/4 the max. volume.

The blacks are very impressive in my opinion and look ink black.

Out of the box the colors look fantastic and the skin tones look realistic/life-like. I cannot wait to further calibrate it!

My only problems with the set thus far are as follows. There does seem to be a little CCFL bleed at the bottom right corner of the screen...but it's hard to notice. Then there's the standard definition. As expected on any HDTV...SD looks terrible in comparison to HD. ^_^

Other than that though, I'm very happy with the set.

Think I should send the set and get that little bleed taken care of? It's only noticeable when the screen is black in that area...and even then it's hard to notice it some of the time.

Edit #2: The CCFL bleed at the bottom right corner has disappeared.

Edited by Oihan

Kill Bill 1 & 2 due in Sept...I wonder which cut we get? :ph34r:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1400

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has revealed via their retailer site that they will be bring 'Kill Bill Part 1' and 'Kill Bill Part 2' to Blu-ray on September 9th. Its way too early to talk about specs or special features - we'll have to wait for the press release for that - but the fact that these highly anticipated films are finally coming to Blu-ray should make many fans smile

Hopefully it will be the "Whole Bloody Affair" maybe with seamless branching between teh two seperate movies.

Looks like another deal at Amazon (Buy 2, get 1 free) and the major retailers are all doing cheap prices on select titles (mostly older catalog stuff, of course).

Kill Bill 1 & 2 due in Sept...I wonder which cut we get? :ph34r:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1400

Yeha this will be interesting.

I bought the Jap KIllBill1 premium box set edition ages back and it's like my holy grail. (coz of the blood an gore extras!) :D

http://www.therewindforums.co.uk/forums/vi...pic.php?t=10759

killbill.jpeg

and this is the second premium release which i didn't bother about (coz there was no real extras) -

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code...pid-1003612251/

They better include the uncut stuff! Maybe Quinten will do something special??

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Guys, about the Playstation 3, can I -

1 surf the internet with my adsl connection?

2 If so, is there a way i can print stuff with some sought of printer cable connection from the PS3 to my printer?

3 I want the 80 gig version that apparently has reverse capability that the smaller gig versions don't. (to play PS2 games)

Any aussie here knows what i'm asking? Any help guys would be awesome! :D

Cheers.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Guys, about the Playstation 3, can I -

1 surf the internet with my adsl connection?

2 If so, is there a way i can print stuff with some sought of printer cable connection from the PS3 to my printer?

3 I want the 80 gig version that apparently has reverse capability that the smaller gig versions don't. (to play PS2 games)

Any aussie here knows what i'm asking? Any help guys would be awesome! :D

Cheers.

1. just have a wireless router or connect it with ethernet thru the back, though the standard browser sucks. don't know if there's another one

2. it's not capable of many formats, like excel, but if your printer might be able to do something thru usb but I have many doubts.

3. i got another MGS4 bundle coming thru the mail(ordered online thinking I wouldn't get one locally, but I got the last one at my WM) though I don't think I can get the 10 bucks shipping, you want a region 1 system? :lol:

1. just have a wireless router or connect it with ethernet thru the back, though the standard browser sucks. don't know if there's another one

2. it's not capable of many formats, like excel, but if your printer might be able to do something thru usb but I have many doubts.

3. i got another MGS4 bundle coming thru the mail(ordered online thinking I wouldn't get one locally, but I got the last one at my WM) though I don't think I can get the 10 bucks shipping, you want a region 1 system? :lol:

Thanks Wes for your help!

I talked to one of my local shops and they said this and that about what i asked here, aparently the 80 gig was

all but sold out now, but they did tell me it can use an external hardrive which is cool enough.

Well with the printer i've got a lexmark and it connects thr to y laptop via USB but i don't know why else it

wouldn't work.

Region 1? what size gig? i'd probably not even worry about teh reverse capability to play ps2 games now anyways.

Also seein that the blue-ray M/Frontier don't have subtitles then i wo't bother wanting the Reg 1 or worry about

converting it with a mod. If i find a nice reduced price in Brisbane this week while i'm about i might grab one! :)

Can it play AVI or MPEG? They said I could even program windows into it, not that i would if the standard

browser is good enough.

Oh and one last thing i thought was a bonus is that the blue-ray can download updates to keep it up-to-date

with whats being handed out. Who else thinks this is cool?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I hardly read this thread so forgive me if it's been posted, but I found this article that was posted today at Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/17/toshiba...while-brushing/

For the attentive in attendance, you likely noticed that none of Toshiba's newly announced laptops (yes, even the absurdly powerful Qosmio rigs) have built-in Blu-ray drives. Like, there's not even an option. When questioned about the obvious oversight (ahem), Tosh's Europe CEO Alan Thompson noted that "Blu-ray was just one of the many ways that you can get HD content and is not required for accessing HD content." Furthermore, it seems as if the outfit is continuing on in its pursuit to develop the best DVD upconverting technology in the whole wide world, as it explained to the press in London that its forthcoming technology would "fill in the gaps" and "add resolution." Company representatives even remarked that "Blu-ray was only a storage medium," and reiterated that BD "wasn't the only way to view high-def content." It's one thing to bow out gracefully, pick up the pieces and get on with life. It's another thing to douse yourself in ignorance and pretend that Blu-ray (let alone HD DVD) never happened.

haha. I went to Fry's yesterday and they still have a shelf full of HD-DVDs and up top there was a big sign that said.... "Say Hello to HD-DVD!"

Hello? more like Laters!

What about getting viruses on your PS3 from the web? Is there a possibility? is there an Anti-Virus precaution?

No homebrew aps or anything so nothing to worry about. Yet. Realistically it's difficult to see anything malicious going for the forseeable future.

Well i went shopping and scouted prices but i gotta say the PS3 is fugly at best seeing it in the flesh. I'll wait till they come down in price if at all i still want one by that time. Just ugly.

Well if you using it right you're only staring at the TV. ;)

Sorry but that was too tempting. :lol: It's too shiney and apparently they want nothing to rest on top of it so they made that huge curve. But hey it does the job. I hear it plays games too!

I'm having some sort of HDTV program. I decided to cut cable. Unplugged cable and Tested what HDTV channels I would get with an old broken antenna. Then later a new one. Got all the correct local analog and HD channels.

I returned my cable box and on a whim hooked the tv set to the cable outlet. Figured I would watch cable TV until it was actually shut off. Decided time to use the auto-program. Cable and Antenna search. Every channel was in the correct location. When cable was turned off I ran auto program again. I didn't want a bunch of static channels.

Now my TV on antenna setting can't find some local HDTV channels that I had before during my earlier tests. If I switched it from antenna to cable it gets really strange. I have maybe 6 different sets of local channels in HDTV plus some channels with what I think random ondemand movies. With either antenna or cable setting I have all the TV shows I should have but I can't find anything.

Double dipping bastards.. <_<

New Blu-ray Release of 300 Confirmed

Posted June 26, 2008 08:06 AM by Josh

Warner Bros. At the Saturn Awards earlier this week, Collider.com managed to get an interview with producer Mark Canton, who worked as the producer on '300'. During that interview, he confirmed that they were working on a new Blu-ray release for the film. Given past information from Warner, we expect this release to be called '300: Limited Collector's Edition' and to be released later this year.

When the film was initially released for Blu-ray, it lacked some picture-in-picture functionality that the HD DVD release had. We expect that this new release will restore that functionality as well as introduce new special features.

Even around the time of the initial release, Deborah Snyder, wife of '300' director Zack Snyder, mentioned that a new Blu-ray release was forth-coming.

No technical specs or special features were revealed at this time, but expect to see more soon.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1452

Yeah, old news. Jewel Staite had mentioned a while back that she had got called in to record some new commentary tracks for this.

Yeah, but we didn't really know what time frame we were looking at.

Serenity is scheduled for the latter half of this year.

Edited by Gaijin

• 3 weeks later...

Quick heads up, guys. I was at Best Buy today, and while BB was advertising the Batman Begins Blu-ray at $24.99, every copy was tagged at $18.00. The stickers were Best Buy stickers, and clearly read "BD - Batman Begin" with the BB sku 8880044. The cashier seemed surprised and he had to get a supervisor to approve the price override, since it was ringing up for $24.99, but they were quick to honor the sticker price. So if you haven't added Batman Begins and, like me, you wanted to watch it in HD before you go see the new one, $18 at Best Buy.

Well i went shopping and scouted prices but i gotta say the PS3 is fugly at best seeing it in the flesh. I'll wait till they come down in price if at all i still want one by that time. Just ugly.

you're crazy.

ever since I replaced my Xbox360 with a 40gig PS3 my entertainment center has been looking 100% better.

my 360 used to look like a dang toy sitting down there :p

all my home theater components are Pioneer and the red standby light and blue "disk in" light on the PS3 match my Pioneers red and blue LEDs perfectly.

also the 40gig PS3 has the silver metallic paint on the front and not the chrome and the paint matches my silver Pioneer media receiver for my plasma TV perfectly.

between my silver satellite box, silver & black plasma media receiver, silver & black PS3 and black audio receiver my entertainment center looks top-notch!

on a side note and something that you all might appreciate I recently got my new Pioneer audio receiver that supports the +P feature on my Pioneer plasma.

I plugged a three pin mini-stereo cable in my audio receiver and plasma media receiver and now one remote runs it all.

one nice feature is when I volume up and down on my audio receiver the volume slider shows up on-screen!

theres also an on-screen set-up menu just for the audio receiver for changing speaker frequencies and running the MCACC setup etc. I'm not sure how other companies do it but Pioneer sure gives you an incentive to only buy their products!

its also nice having one-touch input channel switching.. one button switches over my audio and video between my TV and PS3. I used to have to switch the audio input on my receiver's remote then my video input on my TV's remote when I wanted to go back and forth between game and TV input channels.

Question for you all. I believe that I know the answer...but I'm not entirely positive. My HDTV will not accept a 1080p signal over component; the best it will do over component is 1080i. My question is in regards to my Xbox 360. Since I have a first generation Xbox 360...HDMI is out of the picture. So, my question is: will I get better results setting my 360's display to 720p rather than 1080i? Or would I get better results setting it to 1080i? I should add that my HDTV is a 1080p LCD. I'm thinking that it would better for my TV to upscale a progressive signal rather than deal with an interlaced signal. Am I right in my assumption? Thanks!