Aircraft Vs Thread 4

I imagine it will fly in formation with a Space Shuttle...

But someone mentioned on another forum: "Will the bomb generate a radar return?"

I'm gonna go with... yes.

As soon as the B-2 drops any bomb, its bomb bay doors open and for a few seconds it is producing a much larger RCS; this is the same for the F-117, F-22, F-35, and any other stealth aircraft when they use an internally stored weapon. This 30,000 lbs bomb will probably give off a bigger RCS then a 2,000 lbs, 500 lbs, or any other bomb or weapon the B-2 usually uses, but ultimately, the shape is what dictates the RCS.

As soon as the B-2 drops any bomb, its bomb bay doors open and for a few seconds it is producing a much larger RCS; this is the same for the F-117, F-22, F-35, and any other stealth aircraft when they use an internally stored weapon. This 30,000 lbs bomb will probably give off a bigger RCS then a 2,000 lbs, 500 lbs, or any other bomb or weapon the B-2 usually uses, but ultimately, the shape is what dictates the RCS.

A single 30k bomb might have a bigger RCS but when compared to a bellyfull of multiple 500 lb bombs, it might have an even lower RCS.

The biggest vulnerability to stealth aircraft is typically during the weapons release. During that time frame, as someone said, the RCS is dramatically increased.

But the window of vulnerability is fairly brief, since the time it takes to drop a weapon is probably measured in seconds. Not enough time for a missile to reach the plane unless it's flying very low; which is something that stealth aircraft don't do. So, even if there is a lock on, it most likely gets broken the second the bomb bay door closes.

ir signatures increase the vulnerability, also someone said with enough computing power that stealth aircraft can be detected by ambient radio signals. but i dont know how true it is.

on the ir signatures, stephen coonts had an interesting book deal with it. the adversary pilots had used attack helicopter helmets so see the f-22 because. they had advanced cammo adaptive paint.

F-18 bombs A-4 in midair:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8aLRNQrfIXc

That happened quite a few years ago I think. It's a bit weird to see the pylon detach along with the bomb, I think it's not supposed to do that (because that makes the bomb very inaccurate.. well, MORE inaccurate).

Still, it's good to see both pilot and photographer bail out successfully. One of the comments there said both survived without injuries, but they must have been bruised pretty badly from the ejection.

The big news going around the internets is Iran's rumored buy of 250 (!) Su-30MKMs along with Midas tankers for support. So far the story has yet to be confirmed (and 250 fighters seems like an implausibly large buy) but if true it would indicate that the IRIAF is purchasing replacements for not just their F-14s but their F-4s as well. Personally I'd go for 40-80 Su-30s or Mig-31s as Ali-Cat replacements, and J-10s as a replacement for their F-4s.

That actually raises an interesting hypothetical along the lines of that Republic of Sahalin scenario I posted last year, if you were put in charge of how would you (re)equip the IRIAF?

The big news going around the internets is Iran's rumored buy of 250 (!) Su-30MKMs along with Midas tankers for support. So far the story has yet to be confirmed (and 250 fighters seems like an implausibly large buy) but if true it would indicate that the IRIAF is purchasing replacements for not just their F-14s but their F-4s as well. Personally I'd go for 40-80 Su-30s or Mig-31s as Ali-Cat replacements, and J-10s as a replacement for their F-4s.

That actually raises an interesting hypothetical along the lines of that Republic of Sahalin scenario I posted last year, if you were put in charge of how would you (re)equip the IRIAF?

...and there are some who think the Russians are our "friends". :p

This was the original home video that showed Blue Angel #6 going down into the nearby neighborhood at that air show in South Carolina back in April. This is the first time I've ever seen it. I'm guessing that sharp turn must have effected the pilot (ie. GLOC, gray out).

Iran has now issued a denial. Given the ridiculously large size of the purported order (has Russia even made 250 Su-30s yet?) I'm inclined to believe them. Tom Cooper is adamant that the Iranians are intent on domestic production, so I could see the IRIAF going for licensed production similar to India, but I don't think their aerospace industry has ramped up to the point of making a couple hundred advanced fighters yet. Has the irAN-140 even started production?

Nied

Given the current state of the Iranian economy, I was really skeptical as to whether the claims were true. the Iranian government has now placed fuel rationing on its populace, unemployment and inflation are high. Moreover many international companies are voluntarily refusing to do business with the government because of the sanctions places as a result of the non-compiance with the IAEA. So the domestic politics which Mahmoud Ahmadinejad campaigned on to get elected has turned out badly for him, I doubt that purchasing a huge lot of fighter aircraft would be on the menu at this point in time.

Nied

Given the current state of the Iranian economy, I was really skeptical as to whether the claims were true. the Iranian government has now placed fuel rationing on its populace, unemployment and inflation are high. Moreover many international companies are voluntarily refusing to do business with the government because of the sanctions places as a result of the non-compiance with the IAEA. So the domestic politics which Mahmoud Ahmadinejad campaigned on to get elected has turned out badly for him, I doubt that purchasing a huge lot of fighter aircraft would be on the menu at this point in time.

that's assuming that Mahmoud actually cares if the populace likes him or not. It's not like he's changed any of his other social policies, instead all we've seen is him get even stricter. Given his statements toward other countries, I wouldn't put it past him to make a major military purchase.

that's assuming that Mahmoud actually cares if the populace likes him or not. It's not like he's changed any of his other social policies, instead all we've seen is him get even stricter. Given his statements toward other countries, I wouldn't put it past him to make a major military purchase.

If he doesn't care he's a pretty awfully politician. Remember the presidency in Iran is an elected office. It really wouldn't matter anyway since the military is under control of the Ayatollah and the guardian's council and they are able to overrule Ahmadinejad anyway, especially on a decision like this.

Can anyone help me in finding the name of the show/dvd that showcased on either PBS/History Channel/Discover a few years back that portrayed the competition between Lockheed/Boeing/General Dynamics and Northrop/McDonnell Douglas in building, testing and getting the military to contract with them on the F-22. I remember it being a really nice documentary and haven't found it on DVD at stores.

oops, got ahead of myself, that's what happens when one doesn't read a post completely. anyway, so there isn't a comprehensive documentary on the Yf-22 vs Yf-23. Well, I guess since that program was during the Cold War and everything was kept under wraps as much as possible (not a project to sell planes like the JSF is). Would love to see one though.

<<<Irish director to make aircraft carrier film

Irish director John Moore is to rewrite and direct 'Airborne', an action movie set onboard an aircraft carrier.

Variety reports that the makers of the film have obtained the US Navy's permission for the project but no start date has been scheduled.

Moore previously directed the Owen Wilson-starring action film 'Behind Enemy Lines'; his other credits include the remakes of 'The Omen' and 'Flight of the Phoenix'.

He is also planning to make a new zombie film based on the comic 'Virulents'.

<<<

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/...to-october.html

Here is the first sign that all is not well at Boeing. Let's see if they slip back further.

I actually know some people at Boeing and talked to them recently. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I know what you're talking about baronv, I remember watching it on TV. Ah, here's a link, I think this is it Amazon Nova Battle of the X-Planes. I knew X-Plane was in the title. I think this is it.

Thanks a lot Smiley424, I have been trying to figure out the name of that show for the last couple of years. Just rented the DVD, great show. Very informative.

Edited by baronv

Heh, just discovered a fun fact about the Tornado GR4 - its fitted with the Tornado Advanced Radar Display Information System.

I've pleased to know that the RAF will be able to deal with many types of threats, including Daleks, by equipping Tornados with TARDIS... :)

Red Baron movie coming, trailer sure looks fun:

http://www.pixomondo.com/web/showreel/index.htm

Well, I couldn't get the trailer to run smoothly so I can't say anything about the movement/animation of the aircraft (where most CG gets it wrong), which is the most important element, but the stills I could see looked alright.

The music seemed an odd choice.

Glad to see them having Richthofen in his Albatros.

His life story isn't all that interesting though, but this probably isn't going to try to be very realistic in that regard.

Hola! I wanted to share my pics from my first visit to Mc Clellan airfield (formerly AFB):

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee265/Valk_Hunter_D/

There are some real classics in there, but I was absolutely giddy to find everyone's favorite Cat way in the back. If you guys are ever around the Sacramento area in CA, drop by and meet some friendly museum curators who are really passionate about the planes they keep.