The Xbox 360 Thread Elite Edition

I hate when sequels don't get a number if it's been more than one game system since the last. This should be Bionic Commando *2*. And let anyone under 20 wonder what happened to the first one...

(Yes, Ninja Gaiden should have been NG 4)

Actually, I think it'd be Bionic Command 4. There's also an arcade and GameBoy Color game.

Even ignoring the arcade game(as we do for Ninja Gaiden), it'd be 3.

But I think the point is that it's a reboot of the concept.

There's no number because it's not connected to the old one, play-wise.

Besides, subtitles are cooler. Even in the old days, a lot of sequels just had title variants instead of numbers.

Super Mario World, Zelda: Link to the Past, Asteroids Deluxe...

Uh, no no and no.

One of these things is not like the other.

One of these things just doesn't belong.

Can you guess which thing is not like the other

By the time I finish this song?

Hmmm, that didn't work so well....

post-720-1192606397_thumb.jpg

Edited by JB0

Sorry I can't screen cap from my SNES. But I'm pretty darn sure of what I typed. JBO found Metroid 3, now I just need ones to prove Mario 4 and Zelda 3. I said intro/title screen. As in, anything shown in the first 60 secs or so. And that's not even Mario 4's title screen, that's the little demo that will end up at the title screen if you let it run.

Or in Metroid, it might actually be in the opening prologue technically...

Regardless, my point is the games themselves have their "true" numbers clearly shown.

Sorry I can't screen cap from my SNES. But I'm pretty darn sure of what I typed. JBO found Metroid 3, now I just need ones to prove Mario 4 and Zelda 3. I said intro/title screen. As in, anything shown in the first 60 secs or so. And that's not even Mario 4's title screen, that's the little demo that will end up at the title screen if you let it run.

Regardless, my point is the games themselves have their "true" numbers clearly shown.

I'm positive there is no such name as "Zelda 3" or "Mario 4", knowing Nintendo every Zelda and Mario game is given a proper title.

I believe it says "Super Mario Bros 4" (in small white letters under the main Super Mario World title). Or maybe it says Mario BROTHERS, or possibly "Bros.". I'll see if my camera can photograph a TV screen well enough tomorrow. (Assuming I find all my SNES cables to hook it up---pretty sure I know where the cartridge is)

Sorry, but you're only running 33%.

Neither Zelda nor Mario contains a number at any point in the game(unless you want to interpret the Triforce intro on Zelda 3 as a numeral, which is stretching things just a tad).

Mario World doesn't have a static title screen. Mario's running around doing things in the background until you interrupt, at which point it brings up to the file selection. If the animation sequence is allowed to complete, it fades to black and then fades back in at the start. The title doesn't change at any point.

Zelda 3 has the 3 Triforces spin in from the edges, unite into the combined Triforce, then... if I recall, the sword slides in right before the screen flashes and brings up the final title screen with the Link to the Past logo and background image. I'm bnot sure on the sword sliding in.

After a bit of time on the title screen it does the backstory. Then resets to the Triforces rolling in.

The Metroid one is in the intro sequence. You boot the game, it flashes the Nintendo logo, then types in 1994, a close-in of the Ceres control room, types in PRESENTS, another shot of the control room, types in METROID 3, another control room shot that zooms out to show the entire control room and the baby metroid, then fades in the Super Metroid logo.

Metroid Fusion did a similar intro, with 4 instead of 3 obviously.

But we shall not speak of Fusion again. It hurts too much.

Disturbingly enough, Metroid is the only one of the three I've even booted in a few years.

But I'll bet my Yuki that I'm right.

Zelda 2 is actually the odd one of the franchise in that it DOES carry a series number(Four Swords is clearly NOT Zelda 4). NONE of the other Zelda games are numbered.

It's also the only(non-CDi) game not to be titled "Legend of Zelda." Which is funny when you consider that the games are ABOUT Link, and Zelda isn't even IN the GameBoy Zelda games.

The numbering was probably initially abandoned in part because 3 was to be a prequel. And "Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past" sounded a lot better than "Super Zelda"

Of course, at the time, a lot of games abandoned numbering. It was so easy to make it "Super Game" instead of "Game 532.7"(Unless, of course, they'd already DONE Super Game on the NES).

Some other prominent non-number(and non-Super) sequels include Asteroids Deluxe, Sonic CD, SimCity 2000, Star Wars: TIE Fighter, and Panzer Dragoon Saga(with the prior games being numbered, but in german).

The lack of number isn't a new thing.

Edited by JB0

When I was picking up Transformers on DVD yesterday at the Nebraska Furniture Mart, I saw they had both Bioshock and the Orange Box on sale for right under $50 each and decided to splurge. If the local Toys R Us's hadn't run out of Orange Boxes, I was going to get that, Bioshock, and GRAW2 as part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal.

Oh yeah, GHIII, COD4, Rock Band, and AC6 are all out during the next few weeks. Guess I won't be buying any games during 2008! :p

I had thought it was just my vga cable gone bad, but now I'm not so sure. Over the last two weeks, the video would cut out for a second or two while playing a game. I'd still hear the audio, and the game would still be progressing, but I just wouldn't see any video for a second. Then it'd all pop back and be fine. At a random and quite long interval later, it'd happen again. It wasn't enough to be hinder my 360 use, but it was enough to be worrisome.

When I was watching the Transformers HD last night, it happened again, quite frustratingly when Blackout showed up. And at random intervals after it'd happen again, and again. It got so bad and frequent that I had to replace the vga cable with the default component set. I tinkered with the vga cable after, hooked it up to my pc monitor, but it didn't work at all after that.

I had thought that had fixed it, and it was just the cable, but today I go to play Crackdown with the component cable and two things happen. The same video blackout and when it flashed back there was a weird video signal, like the full strength wasn't getting through to the tv. I turned it off and on, and the problem resolved, but I'm still freaked out that the blackout happened again followed by this other weirdness.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this before? I saw a post on gamefaqs saying it's a GPU failure without the RROD, and that others are having similar problems. Is this covered under the factory extended warranty?

Well I hooked up my SNES and I was wrong. I even beat Mario World to make sure it didn't show up at the end. Man, I would have sworn in court that it said SMB4 on it somewhere.

Anyways---if nothing else it allows me to show how well I take care of my systems. Launch day SNES: (yes, that is the original plastic bag it was wrapped in---for many systems I even have the original twist-ties)

Well I hooked up my SNES and I was wrong. I even beat Mario World to make sure it didn't show up at the end. Man, I would have sworn in court that it said SMB4 on it somewhere.

Anyways---if nothing else it allows me to show how well I take care of my systems. Launch day SNES: (yes, that is the original plastic bag it was wrapped in---for many systems I even have the original twist-ties)

Heh, my SNES became discolored like that as well...

Whoa.... hardcore.

I have naked systems.

But my SNES is the legendary "doesn't yellow" model!

Thread de-railed. <_<

Anyway....some guy in a forum is offering home fixes for XBOX consoles that have 3ROD-ed. Bear in mind that we in Malaysia are not supported by Microsoft and thus sending the console in to be replaced is not an option for us unless we ship it to Singapore. :rolleyes:

So anyway, there's the X-clamp removal/replacement method that significantly stops the mobo from flexing during excessive heats (which I have done). But its not watertight solution as there's a chance that you can re-3ROD despite removal/replacing the X-clamp. This guy came up with what he calls the "NOS mod" which basically is an extra fan, and a home-made cardboard air tunnel to redirect the air flow amongst other things.

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/442461/+1920

This is what include in the NOS mod:

1) modifying the original 5V fan be to direct 12V fan

2) Adding a separator in between these 2 original stock fan for seperating between the GPU and CPU fan.

3) Add xtra 12V fan dedicated to the GPU heat sink for xtra cooling

4) Add a customize air tunnel from xtra fan directly to GPU heat sink.

Add a aluminium Shim above the 2 pcs VGA GPU.

5) Tune your motherboard (to counter bending )

6) Add a cooler master thermal paste on GPU and CPU chip for better heat transfer.

7) Cut the metal casing at the original fan for better air flowing.

8) Cut the console (white) cover for maximum air flow (on client approval).

9) do a general service on your 360.

When I got rid of my original SNES last year it had yellowed in much the same way. It was a Core unit I got in 1992. Box was still in great shape and it still had all the bags and twisty ties.

Thread de-railed. <_<

Though this is an Xbox 360 specific thread, this thread is a video game related thread so if it veers a little but sticks to video games I don't see it as much of a problem.

Back on subject, whose 360 has NOT RROD this week. ;)

I've had mine since Nov. of 2006 and it's still going strong. Though, every now and then on a blue moon the game I'm playing will freeze...it's only happened twice in its life. Haha...I guess I could say I too have the "Duncan McCloud Edition." ^_^ (I hope our 360s never cross each others' paths, JsARCLIGHT...since there can only be one...! :ph34r:)

Edited by Oihan

I've had mine since Nov. of 2006 and it's still going strong. Though, every now and then on a blue moon the game I'm playing will freeze...it's only happened twice in its life. Haha...I guess I could say I too have the "Duncan McCloud Edition." ^_^ (I hope our 360s never cross each others' paths, JsARCLIGHT...since there can only be one...! :ph34r:)

2006? Yours is but a youngling. My Xbox 360, which I just fired up today to play some Beautiful Katamari, is a launch unit.

...So of course, I expect it to die on my any day now. Hope it can hang in there until at least after Ace Combat 6. :unsure:

My console RROD'd a few weeks ago, but strangely enough a quick restart got it up and kept me from having to throw it out a window...

Though this is an Xbox 360 specific thread, this thread is a video game related thread so if it veers a little but sticks to video games I don't see it as much of a problem.

I have a launch unit that hasnt had one defect yet. *knocks on wood*

Gamestop doesn't have the MassEffect pre-order bonus yet, and there's no mention of it with the Limited Edition version of the game. (Which is not available in stores period according to the website)

However, BestBuy has it sitting right there in the games section. Just pick it up and take it to the register. I don't plan to make good on my pre-order and will just eat the 5 bucks and order the Limited Edition version from Gamestop.com (They are guaranteeing DELIVERY on the release date for MassEffect if you pre-order and use overnight shipping) Well, at least for the regular edition. I expect it'll happen with the LE as well, even if the site doesn't mention it yet.

The pre-order bonus is worth 5 bucks to me, so I don't mind, especially getting it a MONTH earlier than from Gamestop. Gamer pics, themes, etc on the disc.

I've had my 360 since early December '05 and it is still running fine. I did get a good scare when the AC cable wasn't fully plugged in to the power supply. I got a little scared when I saw the three rings.

My launch day Elite's DVD drive is currently making weird scratching noises though. This didn't start until a few weeks ago. Luckily I had my Premium on standby for Halo 3.

I've had my 360 since early December '05 and it is still running fine. I did get a good scare when the AC cable wasn't fully plugged in to the power supply. I got a little scared when I saw the three rings.

My launch day Elite's DVD drive is currently making weird scratching noises though. This didn't start until a few weeks ago. Luckily I had my Premium on standby for Halo 3.

yeah, mine does that too..... :huh::blink:

Gamestop doesn't have the MassEffect pre-order bonus yet, and there's no mention of it with the Limited Edition version of the game. (Which is not available in stores period according to the website)

However, BestBuy has it sitting right there in the games section. Just pick it up and take it to the register. I don't plan to make good on my pre-order and will just eat the 5 bucks and order the Limited Edition version from Gamestop.com (They are guaranteeing DELIVERY on the release date for MassEffect if you pre-order and use overnight shipping) Well, at least for the regular edition. I expect it'll happen with the LE as well, even if the site doesn't mention it yet.

The pre-order bonus is worth 5 bucks to me, so I don't mind, especially getting it a MONTH earlier than from Gamestop. Gamer pics, themes, etc on the disc.

I was told by a Gamestop employee that you can get a refund on any pre-order you have. They are also supposed to be able to swap pre-orders to other games instead.

Edited by protostar8