Highlander the Source

Yeah I agree, the first movie is the true Highlander. For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed the TV series for a few seasons (it was also my inititial exposure to the Highlander universe), but the first movie is truly a cult classic. But with all the various movie sequels, TV series, anime, etc., it's unfortunate that no consistent story line, origin, or set of rules has been established for the Highlander universe. Perhaps it would have been best if the first Highlander movie would have been it.

I think the reason why the first movie is a cult classic is precisely because there aren't many explanations about it. There's no need for them. You realize that there's a whole cosmogony working behind it, but you can see it and that's what so cool about it.

I think it's sad that the people that picked the licence up has always tried to take advantage of the apparent lack of rules, as you put it, instead of just focusing on telling good stories. Who cares if Connor McLeod comes from another planet? I don't wanna know. Explanations like that merely banalizes the coolness of the immortals and their drama.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Huh what? I'm lost, what was shown when?

It was shown on SCI/FI channel last night. I still have it on DVR, haven't gotten around to deleting it, if you want, I'll burn it to a DVD (commercials and all).

You could probably d/l it faster than i can burn it.

I saw the first hour. I was committed to finishing it, but as Obi Wan Kenobi would say, "I can't STAND to watch any more!"

It was as bad as any Sci Fi Original movie. The only part that amused me is when the bad guy shouted "WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER!" to the good guys while singing it in the tune of the Queen song. From what I saw, Duncan MacLeod is in the same rut as Connor MacLeod was in Highlander Endgame. Except, "depressed Duncan" isn't all that different from "Normal Duncan"; his acting isn't as good as Lambert's, as Adrian's acting has always been rather wooden. In Endgame, it was OK to have "depressed Connor" because the movie already had a backup main character, Duncan. With this movie, Duncan is allegedly the main character, but in the first hour he spoke like 5 lines. And this time, there's no "backup main character" either. So what we're left with is a bunch of nobodies, none of whom have a personality except for the priest with the strange hair. Mind you, this is not saying the priest's acting was good, just that his hair and weird sunglasses made him the most visually interesting character on screen.

Just trust me. Watch Highlander 1 again.

What I don't quite understand is, and perhaps I took the ending for Endgame the wrong way and this might have been explained in the beginning of Source, is how Duncan became mortal? At least that's what I heard from the parts I saw. Didn't see the full thing as I was doing several things at once and was watching something else on another channel at the time so I was going back and forth.

At least Methos had a bigger part to play in this one. Always liked that character. From what I saw it wasn't completely horrible. Not something I'd rush to see again though but will watch when it's on again since I missed a lot and didn't see the end. I have a real annoyance about not seeing things fully when I've seen parts of it.

Still I think it's time that they bring in a brand new character or restart things with a new "Highlander". Conner and Duncan's time has passed. One could look at Source as a bad epilogue that no one really wanted and just look at the Endgame (while not great) as the end of things. Still I think it's over.

I wish I knew about the Endgame workprint before it disappeared from the internet. The Source one that was going around the internet was really no different than this one, just with narration at the beginning and end, a few dialog changes here and there.

This was kind of a different take on the Gathering concept, when at the end of civilization a few of the remaining immortals feel the need to gather and find the location leading to the Source. In the end only one will prove worthly, but not by being the best but renouncing the fight. Those who tried previously failed by trying to run away or use violence to take the prize. I can see what their goal was, but I think the execution was horrible like everyone else. And I\'ve always hated it how they\'re supposed to gain \'knowledge and power\' from their fallen enenmies but you never see the good guys get strornger or anything. Doesn\'t make sense

Just downloaded it... not sure if I got the workprint or the tv broadcast but the narration and text at the start bugged me...

Immortals

1. Can only die by having their heads severed

2. Get stronger by killing other Immortals

3. Can not have children...

That was just bleh... thanks for telling us, okay shut up about how you love Mcloud and havn't seen him in months and the world's hell and everything.

Didn't get much farther then that. "Methos, the planets have moved out of their orbits and are aligning" "oh that's just orbital wobble" "orbital wobble dosn't even cover it!"

Ah Classic.

maybe I'll watch the rest later.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I had to drop in my own 2 cents. ;)

Thought that was one big steaming pile of crap.

Now that's just offensive..............to steaming piles of crap everywhere. :lol:

Understand, I'm a fan of the TV series and liked the first movie. But this thing was beyond gawd-awful.

Sure, I had read spoilers for the...ahem...."plot." But I can't believe how bad this truly was.

The sped-up, fast-forward fight scenes were annoying. The Guardian was a joke. The music was derivative (just get the rights to the original Queen stuff). They

killed off Joe

. And the Methos of this film was too bitter and pissy (and lacked all of the charm and dry smugness that Methos had in the TV series).

I could go on a longer rant. But suffice to say, this is another massive monument of suck laid by the Highlander franchise.

At least the anime they made awhile back was surprisingly better.

I recorded it during the Thursday showing and watched a couple of days ago. Man was that bad. Highlander 2 Bad.

From what I heard it was just gonna be an all new cast on the quest for the "Source". Sounded like a direct to video movie. Then later Duncan was on the project and it was gonna be on the big screen. I think they didn't bother with a rewrite or an increased budget which led straight to Sci-fi channel. The fights were horrible. Acting/Directing was bad. I'm really confused about was Duncan's wife. How many true love-souls mates does this guy have? What happen to Faith? I do know that the fans hated her. I'm not sure why. His new wife seemed more average looking and not all made up. Still this new bitch Mccloud left him cause he shot blanks. They get together again in the end? What's up with that? If your bitch left you for that reason are you gonna take her back once your able to produce? Hell no find another one.

...instead of just focusing on telling good stories.

This is what drew me in in the first place. It was the spring of 1994 when I started catching episodes of the TV series late on Saturday night. I just thought it was so cool having this guy Duncan McCleod living through all these time periods and having all these different adventures and interacting with all these different peoples and events. But when I started watching the sequels to the first movie and stuff it just became a trainwreck from there. :p

I recorded it during the Thursday showing and watched a couple of days ago. Man was that bad. Highlander 2 Bad.

From what I heard it was just gonna be an all new cast on the quest for the "Source". Sounded like a direct to video movie. Then later Duncan was on the project and it was gonna be on the big screen. I think they didn't bother with a rewrite or an increased budget which led straight to Sci-fi channel. The fights were horrible. Acting/Directing was bad. I'm really confused about was Duncan's wife. How many true love-souls mates does this guy have? What happen to Faith? I do know that the fans hated her. I'm not sure why. His new wife seemed more average looking and not all made up. Still this new batty Mccloud left him cause he shot blanks. They get together again in the end? What's up with that? If your batty left you for that reason are you gonna take her back once your able to produce? Hell no find another one.

seriously, she leaves him because they can't have kids... ever hear of adoption? but I guess that would make for a short movie...

duncan, the source is here!

so?

so, we can have babies now!

but we adopted little conner here, ah conner I miss him, it sucks that I cut off his head.

oh, right...

right, hey honey, can you smell conner's diaper, I think he went potty.

Semi-serious here: what if Mac was the one to break it off with the girl? You know, they could do the whole girl gets in danger because Duncan's an Immortal. Mac does the 'tortured hero' bit and tells her he's leaving her to protect her, doesn't want another loved one's death on his hands, reminded of Tessa's death, blah, blah, blah.

They could even switch it around and make Ducan be the one to break it off with her, because HE wants her to be fully happy and have children (which he can't provide).

Would that have made the story marginally better?

It's probably like adding a cherry to a feces sundae. :lol: But least, it would have given us a full-on flashback scene (something that was sadly missing from this installment).

Semi-serious here: what if Mac was the one to break it off with the girl? You know, they could do the whole girl gets in danger because Duncan's an Immortal. Mac does the 'tortured hero' bit and tells her he's leaving her to protect her, doesn't want another loved one's death on his hands, reminded of Tessa's death, blah, blah, blah.

They could even switch it around and make Ducan be the one to break it off with her, because HE wants her to be fully happy and have children (which he can't provide).

Would that have made the story marginally better?

It's probably like adding a cherry to a feces sundae. :lol: But least, it would have given us a full-on flashback scene (something that was sadly missing from this installment).

that would have at least made mac more consistent with how he was in the series.