SDF-1 cannon colors

007-vf1

I would like to know the standard color for the original series of the Sdf-1

I am confused at the multiple drawings variations I have seen.. specially in the "thigh/hip" area.

Any hardcore experts who knows it for a fact..?

To be perfectly honest, I'm stumped on this one.

I went through all of SDF Macross as research for the upcoming entry of the SDF-1 (TV Version) for the M3 and frankly, the SDF-1 Macross seems to be the most color inconsistant mecha of the franchise. Virtually every second shot shows the ship with a slightly different color scheme. White sections in one shot will be blue in another and vice versa. The feet/main thrusters seem to be the worst offender, alternating from blue to white in virtually every scene.

This is the best I could come up with:

IPB Image

Shawn and Graham have some pictures of the toys, for whatever accuracy or lack thereof they may have. See middle of this following page:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/takatoku.htm

Not much help I know. But there it is :(

To be perfectly honest, I'm stumped on this one.

I went through all of SDF Macross as research for the upcoming entry of the SDF-1 (TV Version) for the M3 and frankly, the SDF-1 Macross seems to be the most color inconsistant mecha of the franchise. Virtually every second shot shows the ship with a slightly different color scheme. White sections in one shot will be blue in another and vice versa. The feet/main thrusters seem to be the worst offender, alternating from blue to white in virtually every scene.

Not much help I know. But there it is :(

That was my whole point. I even went t your site to check your resources( but found none yet ). I also had the big 1/3000 takatoku which is moslty white but I am still lost.. I do like the darker upper "legs" better but the white scheme seems to be the predominant after all my research.. so who knows...

I do appreciate your input though...

In the end I am going to come up with what it seems more appealing to me from the military point of view, which is the less " shiny look-at-me white" the better, even if it ends up not being canon...

Sad....

Edited by 007-vf1

Perhaps... The SDF doesn't HAVE a canon paint scheme!

The overtech armor utilized on the Macross has a reflective flux feature to minimize the effectiveness of focused EM radiation weaponry by rapidly altering the wavelengths it reflects and absorbs, thereby ensuring there isn't a "weak point" in the spectrum.

A side effect of this is that the reflected visible light, and thus apparent color of individual segments varies as the armor cycles wavelengths.

Said technology is utilized on the Valkyrie but the reverse-engineered form doesn't fluctuate rapidly in the visible wavelength, so it's used for programmable "paint" schemes instead.

How's THAT for a steaming pile of BS justification?

Perhaps... The SDF doesn't HAVE a canon paint scheme!

The overtech armor utilized on the Macross has a reflective flux feature to minimize the effectiveness of focused EM radiation weaponry by rapidly altering the wavelengths it reflects and absorbs, thereby ensuring there isn't a "weak point" in the spectrum.

A side effect of this is that the reflected visible light, and thus apparent color of individual segments varies as the armor cycles wavelengths.

Said technology is utilized on the Valkyrie but the reverse-engineered form doesn't fluctuate rapidly in the visible wavelength, so it's used for programmable "paint" schemes instead.

How's THAT for a steaming pile of BS justification?

You could have said it had variable phase-shift armor and gotten the same effect you know.....

Well relying on "toys" for canon coloring is not the best choice IMO.

The toy makers are governed by cost effectiveness when producing a toy and will often (particularly in the 80's) take liberties with color schemes in order to save on plastic pigment or paint, during production.

The truly unfortunate thing is that the only consistent color scheme of the SDF-1 is the DYRL version... :rolleyes:

I would like to know the standard color for the original series of the Sdf-1

I am confused at the multiple drawings variations I have seen.. specially in the "thigh/hip" area.

Any hardcore experts who knows it for a fact..?

I always did like the DYRL color schemes better!!!

I like the DYRL scheme better as well but I am building the TV one. I guess I'll compromise on it a bit and make it look as military as possible and still have the essence of the old series scheme one...

Which ever way I end up, is going to be a b@tch to mask and paint the parts on the tiny Sdf models...

• 2 weeks later...

Some say that the mecha and colorschemes used in DYRL? are now canon as they would have been animated that way if the creators had the time during the TV show.

So are Strike Valkyries now canon and likewise the ARMD space platforms being attached to the SDF-1 instead of the Prometheus and Daedalus? Is the DYRL? colorsheme on the SDF-1 also canon then?

Some say that the mecha and colorschemes used in DYRL? are now canon as they would have been animated that way if the creators had the time during the TV show.

So are Strike Valkyries now canon and likewise the ARMD space platforms being attached to the SDF-1 instead of the Prometheus and Daedalus? Is the DYRL? colorsheme on the SDF-1 also canon then?

The SDF design of the SDF-1 is canon.

For the time period, anyways. The Macross is refit after the end of the TV series, and the ARMDs are attached to the location they were intended to be in the first place.

Docked with the ARMDs was the design as originally conceived(in-continuity), and as it existed post-refit.

But docking with the ARMDs at launch failed due to zentradi interference, as seen on TV. Hence the Prometheus and Daedalus still get jury-rigged on after the space fold accident.

You can't remove the Prometheus and Daedalus without removing chunks of the TV story, which is the current official story.

Besides, the official story is that DYRL is a movie created within the Macross universe, and the VFs in it are a later revision of the VF-1 that wasn't actually available during the Space War, making them wrong.

(And in that context, the Macross used would be the refit version, because the audience is familiar with that design and not the historically accurate one).

The SDF design of the SDF-1 is canon.

For the time period, anyways. The Macross is refit after the end of the TV series, and the ARMDs are attached to the location they were intended to be in the first place.

Docked with the ARMDs was the design as originally conceived(in-continuity), and as it existed post-refit.

But docking with the ARMDs at launch failed due to zentradi interference, as seen on TV. Hence the Prometheus and Daedalus still get jury-rigged on after the space fold accident.

You can't remove the Prometheus and Daedalus without removing chunks of the TV story, which is the current official story.

Besides, the official story is that DYRL is a movie created within the Macross universe, and the VFs in it are a later revision of the VF-1 that wasn't actually available during the Space War, making them wrong.

(And in that context, the Macross used would be the refit version, because the audience is familiar with that design and not the historically accurate one).

Thanks for that post, it all makes perfect sense to me except for this:

the VFs in it are a later revision of the VF-1 that wasn't actually available during the Space War

Was the VF-1 design changed after SW1? Aside from the Strike Cannon which might have been a later weapon development, wouldnt the VF-1s have just been painted to look prettier instead of being upgraded models?

Thanks for that post, it all makes perfect sense to me except for this:

Was the VF-1 design changed after SW1? Aside from the Strike Cannon which might have been a later weapon development, wouldnt the VF-1s have just been painted to look prettier instead of being upgraded models?

Real-world fighters get upgrades, why should fictional ones be any different?