Official - Weapons Banter Thread

Mechamaniac

That is the problem with the ban on Norinco weapons, it is not a "law" per se it is an "executive order". Bush pretty much with one swipe of a pen took it upon himself to ban those guns. It was not an act of congress like the Omnibus Crime Bill, the NFA act or any other federal gun law that has come down he just decided that those bad bad Chinese people can't sell their guns here no more.

As far as I know that executive order is in place until another executive removes it... but who is going to do that? I mean, that executive order is keeping us all safe from those evil affordable Chinese weapons is it not? :rolleyes:

(OK now I'm getting a bit too political, even for my tastes...) :p

That sucks. Maybe they just need somebody work on their side. Look at the new Norinco 1887 and 1897 Winchesters. Those are being brought over by Interstate Arms, I think. They're still Norinco manufactured, but they're imported by somebody else. Wouldn't that be a kick in the nuts to all of the M1A and 1911 manufacturers if somebody did the same thing for the rest of the Norinco line? :D

How is the parkerizing on your rifle, Noriko? The Springfield I looked at last December had a nearly black finish.

The parkerizing on the rifle is just fine. Not really a dark black, but it looks nice altogether. My camera took a dump on me, so when I get another I'll post a picture of me with my new toy. I also love the walnut stock and the feel of it is pretty nice. I was curious about getting the rifle with the fiberglass stock, but changed my mind at the last instant. I'm kind of glad I did. My other weapons all have plastic pieces on them (my H&K USP 45, Mossberg 590 12-gauge, and Bushmaster AR-15. My Springfield 1911A1 being the only exception), and the wood on the M1A is a welcome relief, if you can believe that. I also think I'm gonna need a larger gun safe too. But the one I have now will suffice.

Which springer did you end up getting? Judging by the price I'd say it was the M1A national match milspec with the walnut stock? I'm still in line to buy one of these and have heard nothing but good things about them.

I got the basic standard rifle that had some extras added to it. The guy I bought it from here in Maryland was the cheapest dealer, believe it or not. I went to On Target in Severn and a few other dealers in my area including a couple of shops in PG County, and they didn't even seem to have the time of day. Then there's Bart's in Glen Burnie, but he charges some really outrageous prices on things you would not believe. I know it was a bit pricey, but with me quality counts, and since I got a good bonus this quarter, I didn't mind spending the extra money.

Now, with what money I have left over, do I spend it, or perhaps save it and wait for the next time the Silverado Gun Show comes barreling into Upper Marlboro?

Edited by Noriko Takaya

Then there's Bart's in Glen Burnie, but he charges some really outrageous prices on things you would not believe.

Cool, I used to work at Bart's In Glen Burnie. Yeah, they used to be a much better gun dealer back in the day, but when all the gun laws came crashing down back in 98-99, they really got out of it. Now the only thing that keeps them afloat are the team uniform sales etc.

DId you check out A&D Pawn down the road from Bart's? They usually have loads of nice yet "evil" assault style weapons.

Seeing as we are discussing the "evil" assault weapons at the moment I'm going to take this spot to update you all about an email I received from eBay today:

New Guidelines

The following guideline changes, which limit what can be sold on eBay, will take effect June 8th, 2004:

- The sale of any assault weapon-related parts or accessories will not be permitted (applies to all parts and accessories related to any firearm defined as an "assault weapon" by federal or California law).

- The sale of any firearm receiver or firearm frame will not be permitted (whether complete receivers and frames, components and parts of receivers and frames, or "cut," "80%," or "partially complete" receivers).

And eBay does not have an "agenda"... riiiiiiiight. I for one am sick to death of this constant crap. EVERYTHING that fires a bullet is an "Assault Weapon"... it's what you do with a firearm! You "assault" with it! You also assault with knives, shoes, two-by-fours, cats, bowling pins and anything you can get your hands on. I will really be pleased if the Crime Bill sunsets and all those evil assault weapons once again become nice and legal... oh wait... they still are legal... that law does nothing... :rolleyes: But what I really wonder is if the law does sunset will eBay still hold this policy? THAT my friends will be the true dye of the wool as they say...

Then again, they outlaw the sale of 10+ round magazines, "machine gun" parts, nazi items, bootlegs, game convertors and other such things and people still just lie and list them anyway... or they legitimately list them as such and eBay does nothing to enforce their own policy. Retards.

(Yes, once again in one day I am super political sort of...) :ph34r:

eBay sucks ass. Just face it. They are not what they used to be either. And I pray every night to God that they lift that stupid assault weapons ban in September. I also thank God that the one they recently tried to push through Maryland's legislature didn't pass through. And the funny thing, its deciding vote was cast by a democrat, a liberal one at that.

Okay, enough of my political bantering.

DId you check out A&D Pawn down the road from Bart's?  They usually have loads of nice yet "evil" assault style weapons.

Is that the pawn shop that is on Veterans Hwy near the Empire Towers building?

Yeah, that's the one...

Funny thing, the place that was there before them had a lot of firearms, and when A&D opened, all of the sudden there were none in the place anymore. I asked one of the owners if they were going to carry firearms, and he said "NO". Within a year, they had a larger selection of firearms than just about anyone in the area :lol:

Guess they saw where the cash cow was at that point. But I went to high school with one of the guys that works there, and they are really straight shooters when it comes to handling their gun business.

I use gunbroker a lot and I guess they will be getting all my firearm related attention from now on... sad really. Gunbroker is a great site, it's features could one day rival eBay but they have this... how can I say... problem. A lot of the auction posters on Gunbroker don't seem to grasp the concept of an auction. They are just listing their wares on the site with things like an opening bid of $100 and a buy it now of $101. Add to that that people on Gunbroker don't seem to have a firm grasp that there are other places people can get parts and supplies and some of their prices are just plain "taking advantage". The other "issue" with Gunbroker is that they are not really as slick or streamlined as eBay. All my Gunbroker transactions are herky-jerky most of the time and most have communication issues and delays... due mostly to the archetecture of the site and the way they handle their auction system. Add to that the fact that almost all the auctioneers on Gunbroker are either boycotting Paypal or make you pay the 3% handling fee it just makes Gunbroker so "not business friendly". I was happy parusing listings on eBay and I could find most of what I needed to restore my classic ARs and find normal everyday operating parts and kits on there at good prices. I hope those sellers move over to Gunbroker or Auctionarms as I would hate to have eBay's seeming political stance (and let's be honest here, that is what it boils down to) ruin my ability to find replacement cheap parts and accessories for my guns.

• 2 weeks later...

rise again from the dead, oh weapons thread!

----

well, the P7 was a bust. seems like it was purposely destroyed before it ended up in our care. and then the years of neglect in a humid room... oh well. we've got alot of seniors in our city that've been turning old guns in when they move, i've told everyone, don't take the gun yet, run the serial # to make sure it's not listed as stolen, and give them my card, i'll come look at it and give'em $50 or so if i want it so it doesn't end up getting destroyed. let's see if i can find some neat guns this way. a lady just turned in her dead husband's semi-auto beretta shotgun because she doesn't want it in the house. man, i would've given her money for that.

i'm waiting for the HK P2000 sub compact to come out in .357 SIG.

that'll be my next gun purchase.

on a different note,

I finally got around to doing some tameshigiri with my Last Legend katana.

Boy, this thing cuts like a lightsaber! Super sharp right from the factory.

so far, i've only done single mats, but i'll progress to double mats soon and see what it does.

It's the Last Legend 306 Tsunami.

My matching wakizashi is on the way.

I'll post pics when I get them side by side.

well, not exactly matching, the katana is folded, while the wakizashi is just forged. Since I don't plan on doing anything with the wak, i opted for the cheaper model. it's just going to sit on my desk.

I also use Gunbroker alot. I've stopped lately because of the paypal thing. Also, there's really no one watching what people are selling on gunbroker. just becareful what you bid on. i've been looking for hi-cap mags for my brother, and i've seen alot of ILLEGAL imported mags that are being advertised as pre-ban.

how are they illegal? well, the gun they were made for came out after the Clinton ban, so the mags are obviously imports. I tried to explain that to my brother because he was going to get them. hopefully, the clinton ban will be gone soon.

Too bad about the P7, Chowser. I hear you about the years of neglect too. A buddy of mine has an old Luger buried somewhere at his parent's place. It's supposedly some kind of war trophy from one of the world wars, but nobody's even looked at it for years. I've offered to take it apart and give it a once over (mainly just because I love Lugers) but I'm afraid to see what shape it will be in.

As for myself, I'm just a couple of weeks away from finally ordering a Uberti 1851 Colt. The newest drop-in conversion cylinders, seen HERE, have finally convinced me to get my ass in gear and get one. But I'm still not 100% sold on the conversion cylinders. It might just be so much simpler just to buy one of the "Richards Mason" conversions in 38 spl, instead of manufacturing 38 Colt brass and messing around with homecast hollow base bullets.

Since you seem to have gotten away from the original point of the thread, I shall breturn us to the point!

Favorite Guns

WW2 era Thompson submachime gun. It was one of the first and (in my opinion)best submachine guns.

STG (Sturmgaver(sp?) 44. Also known as the MP-44 due to the fact that hitler believed that germany needed smg's, not assult rifles. The predecessor the AK-47, which is also a great gun.

H&K P-99. I love this gun. It may not be the most powerfun or most accurate gun, but it has an incredible design. Fits in your hand perfectly.

M-82 Barret Particle Rifle (or whatever its called). How could I not list this monster. It can, no, its ment for blowing through cars/trucks to blow away the engine in one fatal blast. Its practicly the rifle version of the D'Eagal.

Favorite Blades

I'm a big fan of roman weapons. Currently i have a roman ax (i don't know exactly what kind) and a gladius hanging on my wall. I also have a custon pilum in the works. Needless to say, it kind of sucks.

Hey, it's a good thing this thread came back.

I'm helping a guy I know handle his father's estate (his father having died this week) and his dad had some pretty wicked things hidden away in his old house out in the sticks. Just now Derrick came by and dropped off a bunch of stuff he found for me to sort through and sell for him and three things stand out from the pile: A DEWAT MP-40 submachine gun, most likely a capture his dad made in WW2. A Nazi waffen and eagle proof marked Luger (also a capture) that appears to still be functional... and a whole mess of other GI and European theater related things. Some of this stuff is contraband and I'm not sure where or how to dispose of them (a few of what I assume are captured Nazi flags, arm bands, pins and other such things) so we might just end up burning most of this stuff. (sorry to the WW2 fans out there but I feel a bit wrong dealing in Nazi memorabilia and so does Derrick so we have deemed most of this stuff to be "trash barrel burning" material) but as for the DEWAT MP-40 and the Luger I might just pay Derrick to keep those as they are rare as hell and kind of cool. Who here can't always use a wall-hanger Mp-40 :lol:

Derrick had no clue his dad had all this stuff, so word to those out there with older Grandparents and parents that served in the military durring WW2... ask them if they have any bring-homes because you might just score a nice pile of loot!

Hey, it's a good thing this thread came back.

I'm helping a guy I know handle his father's estate (his father having died this week) and his dad had some pretty wicked things hidden away in his old house out in the sticks. Just now Derrick came by and dropped off a bunch of stuff he found for me to sort through and sell for him and three things stand out from the pile: A DEWAT MP-40 submachine gun, most likely a capture his dad made in WW2. A Nazi waffen and eagle proof marked Luger (also a capture) that appears to still be functional... and a whole mess of other GI and European theater related things. Some of this stuff is contraband and I'm not sure where or how to dispose of them (a few of what I assume are captured Nazi flags, arm bands, pins and other such things) so we might just end up burning most of this stuff. (sorry to the WW2 fans out there but I feel a bit wrong dealing in Nazi memorabilia and so does Derrick so we have deemed most of this stuff to be "trash barrel burning" material) but as for the DEWAT MP-40 and the Luger I might just pay Derrick to keep those as they are rare as hell and kind of cool. Who here can't always use a wall-hanger Mp-40 :lol:

Derrick had no clue his dad had all this stuff, so word to those out there with older Grandparents and parents that served in the military durring WW2... ask them if they have any bring-homes because you might just score a nice pile of loot!

I know that Nazis suck but I hate to things destroyed. Mabe you could give them to a museum or something. We have a holocaust museum here in Richmond. Maybe they'd want the stuff. They certaily wouldn't glorify it.

Now on to the good stuff. My latest aquisition, a pre-Great War infantry sword from the Grand Dutchy of Baden. B))

post-26-1087008979_thumb.jpg

We had thought about inquiring with museums about the flag, arm bands and pins but they are sort of tattered and it's not like they are rare or anything. I might look into that... but if no society or museum wants them they are getting torched. It's one thing to be a piece of history but these items cary a very dark and evil connotation with them, Derrick did not want them in his house and neither do I. To his father they meant something but to us they are symbols of an evil dictator and mass murder. :unsure:

When I saw this thing, it gave me the chills....Obviously made as a showpeice, and not practical in anyway, but my imagination ran away a little.........what kind of monster would be able to weild this?!?!?

post-26-1087099782_thumb.jpg

Of those guns he brought back, do you remember if they where functional or did he turn them in for DEWAT treatement in 1968?

DEWATs are rare but not as rare as live captures.

I know the details. Number one, there were five, not 10, weapons, ranging from a standard issue Luger to a gold plated, pearl handled, PPK. The weapons were sold shortly after his death, which would have been in about '65. They sold for way less then 500 bucks a piece, I'd doubt if she sold them for 500 for the lot.

Yeah, '65 would have been long before the 1968 NFA act. Prices for WW2 bring-backs did not start climbing until the mid '70s when most of the original old soldiers started selling them off as they got to the age when they needed to start thinking of entering a retirement home. Back in the early '80s gun shows used to be flooded with 98's, Lugers and all manner of bring-back weapon... mainly DEWATs. Nowadays you still see the odd wartime Luger and the Yugo Mauser market has just sort of stagnated with so many in the market these days. But that PPK sounds like it was possibly a General's special toy or something... a gun like that would sell at auction for some high bux nowadays. Heck, numbers matching waffen proof Lugers still can fetch into the high three digits depending on their quality, some even go for a bit above a grand.

I shot Derrick (pun intended) an offer on the two pieces today at his father's estate sale and he took my offer for them. One check later and now these beauties are mine. Did some cleaning on them when I got home and found that the Luger has nice clear factory number marks and waffen eagles under all that age and even has a numbers matching wood plate magazine. The bore looks a bit rough though, I can see some pits just by flashlight in it's finish. I tested it with a snap cap and it closed. The trigger hangs a bit but the action works. I might do some more work on it and then take it out to my local gunshop hangout to have the gunsmith give it a once over to see if it is safe to shoot. The MP-40 on the other hand had a nice going over by the then Justice Department (fledgling ATF) when they DEWATed it. Lots of scuff marks, lots of welds and upon taking it down the trigger itself is welded in place and the bore is hot melted shut. This poor guy will never be functional again without massive work and parts replacements... then again it is just a wall-hanger... oh and it does not have a magazine. I might buy a mag just to give it the complete look in the safe.

From what I know about Luger waffen marks this one has S/42 Mauser markings and the "K" code on the top of the breach as well as the Eagle proofs all over it. From my internet pokings it is a 1930 something (34 I think) early war, Mauser make. I found this pic that matches it almost exactly:

post-26-1087104996.jpg