Best way to do panel lining....?

Dax415

I was just wondering what was the advantages of each and which one is best for Hasegawa kits. Also, what about Gundam Markers? Are they any good? I tried an acrylic wash with cheaper paints but the pigment seems to be too grainy to do it on a 1/144 kit. I am gonna save up for Tamiya paints either way, but which panel lining method is the best? Thx

I guess in part it depends on the overall effect you want to achieve, I tend to use two main methods. If I want a really bold line for a more anime style appearance I ink the lines in with a 0.25mm technical pen. If I am trying for a more realistic appearance I give the whole model a wash of matt varnish with a little black paint added to it, this naturally settles into panel lines and other surface depressions, weathering the whole kit at the same time, needless to say you have to be careful not to overdo it with this method or the model ends up looking too dirty.

I haven't gotten around to building any of my Hasegawas yet but given how fine the lines are I will probably use a wash method rather than trying to trace all the lines with a pen which is probably too thick for the job anyway.

I've alway used oil color washes over acrylic paints. Works like a charm! It's actually alot easier than it looks. What you do is make very thin oil paint. What I do is put a small bit of oil paint paste (Black, dark grey or any other suitable color. Depends on what effect you want to achieve) and add lots of thinner. Lots. Just daub the solution with a brush on the panel line. Capillary action should carry it along the panel line. Don't worry about being neat, just daub away. Wait for an hour or so, to allow the thinner to evaporate. Then load a bit of toilet paper with thinner and wipe away the excess oil, always wiping perpeniduclar to the panel line (to keep the thinner out of the recesses). Voila!

This guys uses an acrylic wash. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds feasible.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Weathering.html

I normally go for a combination of drybrushing and washing. I use citadel water based acrylics and can't really comment on other brands, but I think the technique would be the same... Do a base coat/primer of whatever. Paint all your main pieces/panels. Do a drybrush of white or mythryl[bright mettallic]. touch up you main bits and do your detain work. Dry brush again with more delicacy. Either dillute the heck out of a paint/paint mix or use an actual wash/glaze diluted appropriately in the manner described by Plastik Missle. You can also do successive washes as in wash the whole thing with a dilute mixture and as the fluid settles into the natural places dab the highest part of a line with a much less dilute [or evel undiluted depending on what you use] mix of the wash. You aren't really painting hear so much as placing just the tip of a very fine brush in the correct spot and letting the piant flow off and along the panel line.

repeated thin washes gives better blending.

painting detail between washes gives the look of age contrast between parts.

always have whatever you are painting in it's natural position when doing washes... ie if you are washing a 1/55 valk in fighter... have it "standing" on it's boosters so te wash will flow as if push by the air during flight. Do a destroid standing as thats how rain falls... upside down just looks weird.

need a destoid to practice on? :rolleyes:

stay away from gundam markers. They suck ass. I use a .2mm felt tip pen, or a mechanical pencil (the ones where you load the lead sticks into). I find gundam markers are way too thick and they don't deliver a steady flow of ink. Using the mechanical pencil to do panel lines looks good if you're after a more subtle effect (like a gray rather than a black)

Yo Myersjessee, do you have the links to the wmcheng's how tos? I am looking for it, since he built the VF-2 and also the YF-19, am interested on how he did his marvelous panel linings.

FYI WM uses oil paints for his panel washes.

I'm guessing he used a few pencil shavings and smudged them for the weathering effect?

Did you clearcoat the valk after weathering? As pencil markings come off very easily when the toy is handled.

And I guess also that the beauty of doing this with pencil is you can erase a mistake!