Gatchaman CGI film?

Aside from the hideous CG faces and Jun's anerix look with that ridiculus thin metal corset, I actually dig the new armored designs for this CG interpretation. The thin spandex cloth bodysuits and capes that were impervious to everything from machine gun fire to nuclear explosions only works within in the camp of the orgianal 60s cartoon.

Yeah, I'm like that about remakes in general these days. Unfortunately, by the look of the footage that was released for this film, it would seem that the makers didn't really get what Gatchaman was about and we were probably going to get a very PG rated version of the legend.

To me, Gatchaman was always meant to be tougher than such interpretations. Even though it was about a bunch of people dressed up as birds going around fighting the bad guys, it always had this sort of coolness and ruthlessness to it that wasn't captured in the OAV version and probably would not have been seen in the film that seems is not being made anymore. There was a high level of graphic violence in the original show that has not been seen in other similar programs, and the Super Sentai stuff certainly did not follow this model.

Like I have already noticed, one of the closest things to imitate the look and feel of the original series was those bloody NTT ads and its a pity that they didn't translate into more.

Taksraven

Personally I disagree quite a bit. While the original certainly got away with a high level of graphic violence at times I saw it as a great balancing act between the campiness, coolness, and ruthlessness. Which Imagi seems to be doing an okay job emulating, though it honestly looks ridiculous at times in CG. IMO what is really missing from the Imagi movie is the Turtle king. Both the original and the OVA opened with Galactor using their Turtle/dragon king Mecha to come and just steal plutonium from the ISO building to show the world they were an overwhelming force that even the UN armies couldn't stand a chance against. Imagi ininstead has Katse leading a squad of special forces in a quick smash and grab with every seeming intention of escaping in utilitarian hover troop transports before the UN sends in reinforcements.

Edited by Freiflug88

The cell animated version looks excellent, better to me than the CG. It captures the fierceness I remember as a kid. The level of violence is what got me hooked on the show way back when I was about 4 or 5...loved that people would actually die. That, and every week there was a new giant robot insect for the G-Force to battle. C'mon, who doesn't love giant robot insect battle machines with weapons and gimmicks galore? There was also the occasional tragic love story thrown in for good measure.

The live action vid looks a bit silly to me...there are just some things that don't translate well to live-action.

I liked the updated Astro-Boy by Imagi...it wasn't a bad movie, although I think some of the writing could have been polished more. For any movie like this, Brad Bird should be involved, even if he's only an editor. I liked the overall look of the movie though, and I thought the dude who voiced Astro did a good job. Shame that Imagi are shutting down. Not a good time in history for live action anime translations: first live-action Evangelion, and now Gatchaman.

Edited by M'Kyuun

• 2 months later...

I dunno what's going on with this project. There are signs of life on the website now & there is also a new teaser/trailer (supposedly made before the big crunch the company had)

Check it out.

http://www.imagi.com.hk/web/eng/coming-soon/gatchaman.html

This page had more stuff too.....

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/07/gatchaman-is-not-dead-first-teaser-says-yes.php

So who knows.

I take this as fantastic news. One of these "new' teaser trailers has a dated watermark of 7-28-08. So my guess is that both trailers were actually produced in studio quite sometime after that hideous 2007 Concept trailer that was publicly released earlier this year. There certainly is a huge improvement in the character designs though.

gatchamantradionalcostu.th.png

jun.th.png

imagitrailer72108.th.png

Edited by Freiflug88

• 10 months later...

I dunno. In a lot of ways it looked like it was going to be shite. I still think that THIS is the "Gatchaman trailer" with the most potential I have seen for years.

Edited by taksraven

Thanx for the update areaseven , like Keith said no surprise there!!

I,m glad that this movie is as dead as vanilla ice,s career.

I didn,t like the costume designs or the cheap ass looking teasers that were released.

But that animated TV commercial , which I,ve seen a few times before, would,ve been quicker and cheaper to make, and it would,ve been out on DVD by now.

Both sad and good news. I would have loved to have seen an update. But I think CGI is not the way to go. The cell animated one above looked fantastic!

Yup totally agree. Do a cell anim version, and don't change the designs, that was part of the 70's alt verse charm of it.

As long as someone doesn't decide to do a live action one instead.

I still would like to see updated designs, but carefully done. A Nolan Batman Begins-style live action could be very very cool.

If the CGI movie is still up, then I'm glad for the Gatchaman hardcore fans here, but I'm not impressed at all. The overall quality is that of a videogame movie, and the direction lacks of ideas. Also it looks too kiddie for my tastes. When I first saw Gatchaman as a kid it really took me over. It wasn't that kid friendly but and that's what I liked the most about it. You could clearly set it apart from stuff like Birdman and the Galaxy Trio.

I also think that the trailer taksraven posted is far better.