Code Geass

wolfx

Goro Taniguchi, the director's tendency to become more "Over The Top" as the episodes continue is already showing. I don't mind the fillers that much since they bring you back to "funny highschool comedy" instead of "i wanna take over the world" mode. But I am really bothered on how the series begins to suspend my belief that everything (even luck) is JUST AS PLANNED by Zero. Its getting too deus ex. I also didn't really like how everything was resetted in R2. But meh...it doesn't feel as bad as Destiny. I hope it never reaches that level.

Why I got a feeling that someone is going to bite the dust in the next episode....

Me too..

My poor Shirley... I can't think of anyway else they'd handle it. Though I'm glad they didn't drop her plotline completely like I thought they did. Still, the romance scene coupled with regained memories....

A spoiler for episode 14 revealed a death being avenged too... I couldn't

T.T

Shirley was killed by Rollo since she revealed that Nunnaly is Lulu sister.:(

Sayoko is epic.

New OP this epi, also new upgrade for Gurren and Lancelot in the OP.

Edited by Morpheus

Sayoko is becoming quite awesome. In more ways than one. As the Code Geass LJ pointed out, her ass appears to even rival CC's (ah, fandom).

Sad, sad episode for me. They always have a habit of killing off my favorites. First Euphy, now this... With Milly written out, all that's left is Cornellia, Cecile and CC. Fortunately, CC can't die (yet), and Cecile's too minor to be worth killing, but I'd say Cornellia's not entirely safe.

So now i mourn. Though i saw it coming the second episode 12 ended, and have been dreading it since.What with the tender moment which was an obvious last hurrah for her fans and last effort to get non-fans to care. Heck, the episode confirmed it before it even happened. Two minutes in, and there's a new opening without so much as a second of her in it. If that's not screaming, "she's dead!" I don't know what is. Though the drawing in the new ending was nice. I'm glad that they didn't drop her arc like they appeared to though. Even if there was no way it couldn't end in tears. I would've liked to have seen her develop a bit more, given how much they had dawdled in season one. Seems liker a bit of a waste, but not as much as dropping it would've.The comfort being as one pointed out, she died for the plot, and not just to end her arc. So it's not meaningless. She's sort of to Lelouche now as Euphy is to Suzaku. As someone eloquently put it, "Her death means more to Lelouche than her life would have." The forgiveness part seemed abrupt, but worked well in the end. Lelou's reaction just heartbreaking.

It's a shame they only thought of killing her to end it, but I suppose it's the best option. Her joining up and truly becom,ing his lover would have been nice, but wouldn't serve the story as well. The poor girl just had nothing left to give outside of the ultimate sacrifice. This was signaled by Milly graduating. To wrap up the series, the school arc must end, allowing focus on the war with Britannia. She was the last major thread there, and she either would have to join him, or die. Her death provided greater catalyst, as once again, Lelouche has personal blood on his hands, reminding him that this is no harmless game of chess.

I'm not sure if i can hate Orange-kun for being indirectly responsible. Though I didn't hate Lelou for Euphy, so I guess I'll be like Lelou and just hate Geass in general. Orenji is becoming interesting.

Oh, Did GG really have to write "F*ck Ali Project" right after her death too....? Way to kill the mood. I'm going to have to remove it before burning or just watch Eclipses version for that episode.

Sayoko FTW :ph34r:

Sayoko.jpg

QFT. :)

She's getting more AWESOME by the episode. :ph34r:

AND.......

SHIRLEY died. :ph34r:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

ROLO you damned MOFO!!!! :angry:

BTW.... LOL at Orange-Kun......

A Marianne Loyalist.

:blink: And all of a sudden Lulu's ALLY!!!???? :ph34r:

I'm liking this series more than Mf... :ph34r:

despite those ugly robots and clamp character design.

DITTO!!! :ph34r:

ALSO

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/CODE...0Large%2003.jpg

What the Frack does the pic above mean? Is Kallen changing sides? :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

I realise that I have yet to release my angst.....

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why Rolo why?! You are not as sweet as the candy you're named for suggests.

I so can't wait for Lelouch to kill him.

So now everyone starts commenting after someone dies. :rolleyes:

Sayoko is becoming quite awesome. In more ways than one. As the Code Geass LJ pointed out, her ass appears to even rival CC's (ah, fandom).

Sad, sad episode for me. They always have a habit of killing off my favorites. First Euphy, now this... With Milly written out, all that's left is Cornellia, Cecile and CC. Fortunately, CC can't die (yet), and Cecile's too minor to be worth killing, but I'd say Cornellia's not entirely safe.

I have a strange feeling that his Geass command might work in a strange metaphysical way.....

like maybe Shirley would still exist like a ghost, just like how C.C seems to be still talking to a dead Marianne. Or maybe she gets a cyborg body too?

thank goodness theyve finally changed the op song....i hated the previous one

I hate Ali Project ED though...... :angry:

Anyway....i not sure if this is bad writing but sudden plot twist that Orange-kun all the while was the key to Lelouch's answers (or at least a bit of it) is kinda dodged. Orange has so much hate for Zero prior to this and for him to throw it all away due to his allegiance to Marianne....right...and the guy even cried damnit!!

Oh and did i mention i hate Ali Project? GG put that in their subs? Lulz.....they're right.

Eh, I kinda like this new OP. Lovely visuals too.

Sayoko... awesome. 'nuff said!

Instead of Kallen changing sides, maybe it's Suzaku? After Shirley's speech about forgiveness and all...

Finally, an episode that felt much better than the 4 or 5 before it. No ex machina to steal the show, no sudden upgrades/appearance of mecha to save the day. A good half hour of plot. Can't wait to see how the next ep will pan out.

Did i say that Sayoko is awesome? Ninja maid!

Oh and did i mention i hate Ali Project? GG put that in their subs? Lulz.....they're right.

Whether they hate them or not, it was really uncalled for given the content of the preceeding scene. Waiting until the end or the next episode would be better. Better yet, just sub the damn show and leave the commentary for the website. As is, it's f*cked up.

Eclipse write a huge "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" instead. In context, but not much better.

Looks like I have a mkv to edit....

I actually can't remember what the previous ending sounded like at the moment.

You know, I honestly get tired of the cliche deaths. A death can be meaningful, but when they start getting rid of characters b/c they aren't going to be used anymore, they don't have to kill them. They could actually try being creative and come up with ways to get them out of the show for awhile, like maybe having Shirley be captured by the knight of one or something and that would make for a pretty climactic final few episodes and let Lelouch's love story continue instead of being a knock off of last season's Euphie death.

This episode made me lose respect and some interest in the show, kinda like the episode of Death Note where L dies. IMO, I think it'll be much more boring now. Overall, I give this episode a 2 out of 10 b/c the writers in Japan have gotten in the trend of killing everyone b/c it's more meaningful...

Edited by protostar8

You know, I honestly get tired of the cliche deaths. A death can be meaningful, but when they start getting rid of characters b/c they aren't going to be used anymore, they don't have to kill them. They could actually try being creative and come up with ways to get them out of the show for awhile, like maybe having Shirley be captured by the knight of one or something and that would make for a pretty climactic final few episodes and let Lelouch's love story continue instead of being a knock off of last season's Euphie death.

This episode made me lose respect and some interest in the show, kinda like the episode of Death Note where L dies. IMO, I think it'll be much more boring now. Overall, I give this episode a 2 out of 10 b/c the writers in Japan have gotten in the trend of killing everyone b/c it's more meaningful...

I agree and disagree.

For Lelouch, he has to lose everything he loves to save everything he loves.

It's the curse of being who he is and having the power he has.

Paradox you say? =P

You do know that Code Geass is setup to be Kallen vs C.C for Lelouch's heart right? Shirley was never in the picture, ever.

Edited by wolfx

Actually, if anything it's a setup for the guy to be alone, or die. Kallen's no love interest, plain and simple. She's not even that great a character, outside of being the embodiment of Lelouch's connecting to the Black Knights. CC is more likely, but it's not exactly love between the two. Dead or no, Shirley's probably the most likely one in his heart, even if it's a little regret driven.

For the record, they basically did write Shirley out of the show for about eleven episodes of little impact, her storyline frozen. How's her being kidnapped going to advance her plotline anyway? You already have Kallen captured for crying out loud! Nunally still needs rescuing as well. Why would you prefer all of Lelouch's girls be mere liabilities to him?You could have her join the Black knights, but how does that work? She either becomes closer than ever, spends time wallowing in confusion and indecision, her love torn, or she dies. looking at the options, the last had the most satisfying potential. As much as a Shirley/Lelou relationship would be nice, giving the guy some much needed connection to sanity, it doesn't serve the plot much.

They also didn't kill her because she was useless to the story. If that were true, why revive her memories at all? Just leave her in the background. While I would've preferred a longer conclusion, it wraps up her thread nicely, if tragically. It cuts Lelouch's ties to Ashford, allows another great moment where we see the real Lelouch and reminds him of his fallibility, gives him some real motivation to crush the Geass cult, starts Rolo's downfall, cementing him as a person who will do anything to stop people from coming between him and Lelouch, and possibly sets up the conclusion to the Lelouch/Suzaku conflict. How that's killing her because she won't be used any more is beyond my comprehension apparently. Maybe it is a little Euphy, but it's really the best they could do with what they had.

My point is that this seems very much like a knock-off of something that already happened on the show and is very cliche. Deaths are being so over-used in the anime industry that to me, they've lost their original value and now just kinda tick me off. From season one, I'd say that Shirley was the love interest. She was his sole link to real life, and had she survived until the end, could have been the one to pull him back to reality and out of a possibly endless life of misery as Zero. But that can't happen now and there aren't really any other girls to fit that role now that she's been killed off. Unless of course she's brought back later on b/c something about the "Don't Die" command makes me wonder if she's really going to stay dead. I mean, for all we know one of the little Geass people may have some sort of "healing" geass or something with the way this show goes. Either way, I don't think Shirley had to die, heck, she could have just been nearly killed and went into a coma like state (so she could appear at the end of the show out of the blue) and the effect would have been almost the same.

I have a feeling that it wasn't Rollo who did it, as it was hinted to us. He probably fought someone that appeared and Shirley was collateral damage. But then again its nice that Villetta still seems to be in Lelouch's side....i think.

Hey, hey: long time no see, guys. Summer is always made of great times with the loved persons and the virtual life becomes neglected :p

I have to agree with most of the critics done into this thread about this new season: it disappoints me, although it's better than most of the stuff out there it just doesn't work as well as the previous season; of course, we're just half way to the whole show for this year so there's still hope: I think we all fondly remember the great ending of the first season and we sure know that the Sunrise staff is made of very capable persons, so wait and see...

Sayako, you own so much! :ph34r:Shirley, I'll miss you for sure, dear... :(

My point is that this seems very much like a knock-off of something that already happened on the show and is very cliche. Deaths are being so over-used in the anime industry that to me, they've lost their original value and now just kinda tick me off. From season one, I'd say that Shirley was the love interest. She was his sole link to real life, and had she survived until the end, could have been the one to pull him back to reality and out of a possibly endless life of misery as Zero. But that can't happen now and there aren't really any other girls to fit that role now that she's been killed off. Unless of course she's brought back later on b/c something about the "Don't Die" command makes me wonder if she's really going to stay dead. I mean, for all we know one of the little Geass people may have some sort of "healing" geass or something with the way this show goes. Either way, I don't think Shirley had to die, heck, she could have just been nearly killed and went into a coma like state (so she could appear at the end of the show out of the blue) and the effect would have been almost the same.

It seems to me that part of the point is to partially echo Euphemia. It's a bookend, a recurring theme, and a very effective plot device. Again, Lelou messes up due to his overconfidence, and this time, he has even less control over the course of events. Again, this reminds him that he isn't the puppet master he sees himself as. Again, it's not just a game of chess. people get hurt, and his quest for vengeance with inevitably hurt those he loves, no matter how hard he tries. This is very powerful for a character like him.

Okay, I don't know how character deaths, or any other plot device can be overused in a medium as a whole (in fact, I haven't seen many such things in all the anime i watch, not enough to call it "overused" anyway). Saying it's cliche is also like saying having her fall in love is cliche, but whatever. Everything's a cliche, it's all in how it's executed, and this was executed quite well.

Besides, can't we want to see where they go with this before throwing around such claims. It's not like her thread ends with her death. Only crap drops a story like that, and Geass is far from crap.

It's true she could've been used as his link to a normal life. Though that's precisely part of the reason she's dead. Not to mention, what you're describing is far more generic then was they did. You're forgetting the story being told and basic storytelling 101. Lelouch's ties need severing as he's past the point of no return. He can't have a normal life, and he knows it in the most brutal of ways. He's not meant for a happy end, and that's what revenge is. He gets what he wants, at the cost of just about everything but. This show is basically almost a Greek tragedy. It's also moving to it's final stage, Ashford is side story, and it needed to end. Shirley's storyline also needed resolution, and none of your, "non-cliche" ideas even remotely serve it as well as this. You're basically saying you'd rather Shirley serve as a mere background thread (something she did for most of this season, and it stunk), or "someone to come home to", and a simple exit device for the main character (a sweet thought, which could work at the cost of her character, but I fail to see how this isn't "overused" or "cliche", lots of shows end this way). Basically to not serve the story or her own development whatsoever. Maybe that could've worked if it didn't go against everything they'd already done with the character. She'd have to stay a happy little Geassee, which would suck, or a pointless member of the Black Knights, and that's a paltry conclusion to her, "Everthing's a lie, Lelouch killed my father, but I love him" plot (seriously, what would she do besides be a love interest?). That, or have her become another pointless side thread that has again nothing to do with her pre-established background, and again serves neither her development and could actually hinder the plot with yet another concern for Lelouch, (first kidnapping, now coma, seriously, how "cliche" is "we won, and Shirley miraculously recovered?" ^_^;;). unless you have her never recover, which would be good tragedy in the show if done right, but something of a loose thread and misplaced.

Maybe she didn't "have to die", and I'm all for thinking outside the box, not to mention I love Shirley quite a bit, and hated to see her end violently, but none of those ideas serve really anything, no offense, and wouldn't be in line with what had already been setup. At the very least, they wouldn't have the impact that it did. You're also forgetting that she doesn't have to be alive to be a love interest. He can easily fight in her memory, and stop in it too. Reflecting on the life of someone close, especially one you feel you've failed, can have a strong impact. One need not be physically present to do so.

I have a feeling that it wasn't Rollo who did it, as it was hinted to us. He probably fought someone that appeared and Shirley was collateral damage. But then again its nice that Villetta still seems to be in Lelouch's side....i think.

I doubt it. It doesn't work with all the setup given. It defies his character as well. Also, give me a likely suspect. You can't, because there aren't any. Don't you dare even suggest Suzaku... <_<

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Cool episode and I hope to see next week's hopeful explanation of what geass is and who created it. In season 1 I didn't really hate Suzaku, but now especially what he did in today's episode to Kallen I want him to get his ass kicked so hard that he would be gasping for air and kicked across the floors of Ashford. He's such a hypocrite about doing things peacefully yet he goes and is trying to use drugs on Kallen. Must form a kill Suzaku clan and see how many join me. B))

Edited by SuperHobo

Must form a kill Suzaku clan and see how many join me. B))

First you have to be a member of SpinZaku fanclub ^_^

Anyone notice the two new Brittania Knight frame on the official website?

Edited by Morpheus

I can't think of anything coherent to say about this episode....but i enjoyed it. I can't get over the fact that Charles and V.V are brothers....and Charles meant it literally when he called him Nii-san....zomg. Teh weirdness.

I think i still hate Suzaku more than Rollo though. I like how both Lelouch and Suzaku are slowly becoming their own anti-thesis.