Mylene: Gamlin or Basara

Deigo

Another Love Triangle Discussion  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be with Mylene?

• Gamlin Kizaki
    • Nekki Basara

She does turn 15 near the end of the series...

And Gamiln and Basara's ages have never actually been said, but i've read that they are probably 18 or 19.(depending on your definition of grown men they are or aren't)

should 16 year old Ichijo Hikaru be piloting a walking/flying weapon loaded up the whamzoo with explosives and powered by a nuclear reactor?

When your 18 your a fully grown man, Mylene still has a lot of growing to do. Piloting robots at 16 years old is totally different than arranging mirage at 14. :p

According to what I have read about seduction (Mystery, DeAngelo and others), Mylene will choose Basara. Obviously Gamlin is a better logical choice, but that's not how it works.

"Now listen to my song, you kadun!".

FV

Tis true. Opposites do attract.

The "interest" that Basara & Mylene showed toward each other was constantly repressed by both of them.

Neither would admit to themselves that they were attracted to the other, never mind admit they cared for each other.

the opposite of love is indifference and the be honest Mylene cared for Gamilin as a friend, but showed indiference toward him as a love interest.

She often "hated" Basara, but love and hate are two sides of the same coin. You will be hard pressed to find hatred for a person who has no regard in your heart or mind.

Therefore, Mylene would likely choose Basara if given the choice between the two.

Now what kind of match that would make is up for debate. :p

Edited by Zinjo

The "interest" that Basara & Mylene showed toward each other was constantly repressed by both of them.

Neither would admit to themselves that they were attracted to the other, never mind admit they cared for each other.

the opposite of love is indifference and the be honest Mylene cared for Gamilin as a friend, but showed indiference toward him as a love interest.

I never saw anything that would indicate that Basara looked at Mylene as anything more than a friend, "student", and/or fellow band member. Mylene, on the other hand, demostrated (what could be interpreted as) romantic feelings for both men.

And Gamiln and Basara's ages have never actually been said, but i've read that they are probably 18 or 19.(depending on your definition of grown men they are or aren't)

Some sources have Basara as being in his early '20s. And there is some contradiction in the official timeline (calculating from the age of entrance in the Spacy), and the printout Millia gave Mylene in the series, in regards to Gamlin's age.

But the one very obvious thing about Macross is it's youth worship (well anime in general). They tend to have teenaged characters doing things that normally only adults do (because it isn't legal for them or they aren't mature enough). Really, should 16 year old Ichijo Hikaru be piloting a walking/flying weapon loaded up the whamzoo with explosives and powered by a nuclear reactor?

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head with this one. I am in firm agreement.

It could be explained away in the original series (story-wise) as being due to the manpower shortage. But in later series, like Macross 7? The anime "youth worship"/ "appealing to young people" angle is the only one, since there isn't much story-wise to explain it. It should be noted that the main characters in Macross Plus were somewhat older ("Twenty-Somethings"), which was something of a break with the teeny-bopper trend in Macross.

Well, her mom was 15 and her dad was 16 when they got married. So i guess in the Macross version of the future it isn't that weird.

Millia Fallyna was only chronologically 15. Biologically, she was a full-grown Zentraedi female. The Zents aren't raised from childhood. They are manufactured. So, I assume that she was "born" as an adult.

And early marriage isn't really that weird today,in the real world. In the past, it wasn't unusual. Nor is it so in some cultures. And of course, there is the matter of teens getting married (due to pregnency) in some western cultures. Such marriges tend not to last,however.

I never saw anything that would indicate that Basara looked at Mylene as anything more than a friend, "student", and/or fellow band member. Mylene, on the other hand, demostrated (what could be interpreted as) romantic feelings for both men.

Actually Basara "looked" out for Mylene far more than a "friend". When she was being chased by the Vampires, he was there for her. On many occasions he would look after her, look out for her. We never see him berating Roy or Viffidas over the passion in their music, we never see him fight with them over anything, yet he and Mylene constantly fought. If she was only regarded as a "friend" or "bandmate", I doubt they would have fought as much.

Sivil was the first woman to actually garner Basara's active interest. That could be attributed to genuine attraction or just as easily a keen sense of curiosity.

We know Sivil fell for him and he demonstrated some care for her, but such a thing could be explained as a "forbidden fruit" attraction that both knew wouldn't go anywhere. It also served as a second love triangle that harkens back the SDFM double triangle between Hikaru, Misa, Minmei and Kaifun.

Not all people demonstrate affection in the same way.

The fact that Basara had few social skills to begin with would also explain his inability to express himself to another outside of music.

We saw with Emilia that he got along with her very well because they shared a passionate love of song. You got the sense of an attraction, but neither actually acted on it.

So it is possible that "superman" simply didn't know how to express himself or express any sort of attraction to Mylene who essentially wore her heart on her sleeve, constantly.

The Japanese are not known for being very demonstrative, emotionally and Basara was written like a classic hero. Strong, silent, determined and focused, emotions didn't really play too much into his "mission"

Actually Basara "looked" out for Mylene far more than a "friend". When she was being chased by the Vampires, he was there for her. On many occasions he would look after her, look out for her.

Close friends do this, as well. And the fact that Mylene was as young as she was, may have also had something to do with this. The "Kid Sister" angle, as it were. It should be noted that Veffidas and Ray were also on the overprotective side, when it came to Mylene. The entire band, for the most part, was there for her. Not just Basara. And in most of the instances where Mylene was bailed out of trouble, the band as a whole, was involved.

Except in cases of potential, extreme danger, Basara seemed largely indifferent to Mylene's situation. Not the actions of one with romance in their heart, regardless of how cool and reserved they supposedly are.

It should be noted that Basara, without thinking, saved Gamlin's butt in spectacular ways. Gamlin was the first among the military to truly understand what Basara was doing (and was moved by Basara's music). Thus, a friendship formed between the two. This reinforces the fact that friends can go out of their way to help each other in dire need.

We never see him berating Roy or Viffidas over the passion in their music, we never see him fight with them over anything, yet he and Mylene constantly fought.

That's because Ray and Veffidas were more mature, gave it their all, and put their hearts into it. Mylene was just starting out, was young, and had far more potential than she realized. And she wasn't truly passionate about the music itself. She was more concerned about the fame, their fans,the buisness end, and the band's future itself. Basara was in it for the music alone and moving people's hearts with his song. Thus, his laid-back attitude regarding the band's career, concert opportunitiues, and recording contracts.

It was also a case of Basara seeing Mylene's gift (one as potent as his own), and pushing her to realize it. Much like a master teacher in a given discipline urging on a gifted student.

Mylene's lack of conviction regarding the music itself, and Basara's seeming disregard for the band's future, was the main source of conflict between the two. And this made eventual personality conflicts between the two far worse. This frequently happens in Real Life bands. So, this is nothing unusual.

And nothing unusual for close friends with conflicting personalities, or a competitive/adversarial relationship.

And for the record, Basara and Ray did have their disagreements. Just not as childish as the fights between Basara and Mylene.

If she was only regarded as a "friend" or "bandmate", I doubt they would have fought as much.

See my comments regarding rock bands and close friends above. I'll add that close friends are usually like family. And family members will frequently argue.

Sivil was the first woman to actually garner Basara's active interest. That could be attributed to genuine attraction or just as easily a keen sense of curiosity.

I think there was some attraction there. But it was also a matter of Sivil being moved at some level by Basara's songs, and thus drawn to him for more than Spiritia (or being similar to her ancient enemy). And Basara was drawn to her due his desire to get through to her heart with his song. It was even more imperitive since she was an enemy alien, and Basara wanted his songs be a means of communication (touch hearts and end conflicts-much like Lynn Minmay).

Not all people demonstrate affection in the same way.

I can agree with this.

The fact that Basara had few social skills to begin with would also explain his inability to express himself to another outside of music.

I have to disagree with this. While Basara had his moody periods, he was largely an extrovert. His tendency to showboat and show-off was an indication of this. He was an energetic stage performer and seemed to be empowered by the reaction of his audience. He got along well with kids. His comical rapport with Millia. His growing bond with Gamlin. His friendship with Rex and her gang. His close, brotherly-like, relationship with Ray. The apparent understanding between him and Veffidas. The adversarial relationship with Mylene. He and Gubaba were instant buddies.

And there are other indications that he was largely a "people person" outside of the main series.

We saw with Emilia that he got along with her very well because they shared a passionate love of song. You got the sense of an attraction, but neither actually acted on it.

I agree with the first part. They moved each other's hearts with their songs. And I agree that there was attraction.

However, I wouldn't call a 40+ ft. tall woman puckering up for a kiss (only to be interrupted), not actually acting on it. :p

So it is possible that "superman" simply didn't know how to express himself or express any sort of attraction to Mylene who essentially wore her heart on her sleeve, constantly.

Once again, I have to disagree. For the reasons I pointed earlier in this post. Basara had no problem expressing himself. He proved that many times in the series.

But I will concede that he may have been clueless when it came to how women felt toward him. But even I have my doubts about that. He seemed to realize that Mylene had feelings for Gamlin, and may have sensed that Rex had feelings for him.

If he had a notion that Mylene had romantic feelings toward him (and it's a strong possibility), he didn't appear interested in pursuing them. Just as he didn't appear interested in pursuing a relationship with Rex.

The Japanese are not known for being very demonstrative, emotionally and Basara was written like a classic hero. Strong, silent, determined and focused, emotions didn't really play too much into his "mission"

Basara was anything but the "strong,silent" type. He was indeed strong, determined, and focused. But emotions were very much what Basara Nekki was all about. Without the passion, you can't move hearts. And he had that passion in spades.

He also had a tendency for emotional outbursts and rudeness. He thumbed his nose up at authority. All against what would be considered traditional Japanese norms.

If anything, Basara Nekki was more akin to the stereotypical Western "rock n' roll rebel", with a heavy dose of idealism thrown in for good measure.

Edited by SpacyAce2012

She does turn 15 near the end of the series...

Gamlin's grey hair and receding hair line indicated to me that he may be older than 18 or 19.

But I also thought Gapelnitch was a female until the last few episodes so what do I know?

Gamlin's grey hair and receding hair line indicated to me that he may be older than 18 or 19.

But I also thought Gapelnitch was a female until the last few episodes so what do I know?

Gamlin had pinkish purple hair.

Anyway, i agree that Basara probably just saw Mylene as a sort of little sister type. But, i also have to say that even if Basara did have feelings for her, he probably would be a pretty crummy boyfriend. I always got the impression that Basara was kind of selfish. It seemed to me that pretty much everything he did was to satisfy his own ego.

The reason why he sing is not to 'stop the fighting' or 'bring peace' it's to see if his music can do this. At least Gamlin showed guilt and regret for not being able to protect his fellow soldiers and held stedfast in trying to protect City7. I didn't really see Basara trying to protect everyone (obviously he protected people right in front of him), more just to prove something to himself.

I have a theory on this. I think the writers of Macross 7 meant for Mylene to stay undecided and single. She's an idol, and the writers intend for the male viewers to like her and daydream about being with her. That really wouldn't work if she got taken. This may also be why Minmay stayed available.

If that sounds weird, remember that in Janpanese culture it's not uncommon to have very strong feelings for a cartoon character.

Neither Gam or Basara. Mylene took in a lesbian lover, going back to her meltrandi roots. (Maybe Veffidas?)

Yeah! That's right! Actually I wouldn't know because I haven't watched more than 1 ep of Mac 7.

Edited by Duymon

Neither Gam or Basara. Mylene took in a lesbian lover, going back to her meltrandi roots. (Maybe Veffidas?)

Yeah! That's right! Actually I wouldn't know because I haven't watched more than 1 ep of Mac 7.

I just finished the last episode of Macross 7 a few minutes ago. It took me nearly 4 weeks to watch the whole xxxx series. I don't know how I survived this mess, but it sure strengthen my self-assertion. You'll also become a better person after watching Mac7. :rolleyes: And don't believe the rumors. It won't get better past Episode 26.

Actually Mac7 was good (except for a couple episodes where we really didn't need the extra Mylene storyline of the fan service stuff).

I watched the entire series in 4 days.

Too many people don't give the cred to 7 like it deserves.

If you don't watch it with preconcieved notions, you will find you enjoy it (but may be afraid to admit it because you want to be cool and hate on it too)

POWER TO THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

I just finished the last episode of Macross 7 a few minutes ago. It took me nearly 4 weeks to watch the whole xxxx series. I don't know how I survived this mess, but it sure strengthen my self-assertion. You'll also become a better person after watching Mac7. :rolleyes: And don't believe the rumors. It won't get better past Episode 26.

Actually i found that it did get slightly better about half-way through. Quite frankly the series should have been 26 eps long. I felt it didn't really get to the meat of the story until about ep 26. (lets just say it got a little annoying seeing Basara do the almost exact same thing every ep, felt a little to much like it was stuctured like Sailor Moon rather than macross. There doesn't need to be a battle in every episode)

Too many people don't give the cred to 7 like it deserves.

If you don't watch it with preconcieved notions, you will find you enjoy it (but may be afraid to admit it because you want to be cool and hate on it too)

POWER TO THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

OK Keith Jr.... :rolleyes:

You'll find a lot of polarizations on this board from the Mac 7 haters to the Mac II haters, but from time to time you find a pocket of individuals who appreciate all the shows for what they are.

I can appreciate Mac 7 as the J-Pop kiddie show that it is, but not much past that...

Edited by Zinjo

I am not a fanatic of Mac7, but do like it for the most part.

I was disapointed in Mac7 Miss Dynamite though after watchin Mac7.

I do admit 7 could have been done better, but it is good overall.

As a fan of Macross, I can't hate on ANY of them.

I was disapointed in Mac7 Miss Dynamite, but the one series that has the MOST room for improvement in my mind is Mac Zero.

The worst story by far. (Which is unforetunate as that was the last Macross I watched that was new to me.)

But I don't hate on Zero, just disapointed.

Actually i found that it did get slightly better about half-way through. Quite frankly the series should have been 26 eps long. I felt it didn't really get to the meat of the story until about ep 26. (lets just say it got a little annoying seeing Basara do the almost exact same thing every ep, felt a little to much like it was stuctured like Sailor Moon rather than macross. There doesn't need to be a battle in every episode)

That's true! The whole story could have fit into 24 or 26 Episodes.

I don't hate Macross7 or any Macross Series or Movies. It's just that I still can't imagine how they were possible to attract viewers with the first 5 episodes of Macross 7. And the thing about Episode 26 is only because Basara don't need to sing alone during the battles anymore. Oh and of course the Sound Booster weapons. Well You could say, that I'm more the Macross II kind of fan.

Back to the topic.

I voted for Gamlin cause he's willing to change his self. The character develops very well during the series. Basara would have left Mylene for any other object/creature/humanoid/xxx that sings or make strange noises.