Shoji Kawamori Design Works

Sevket_Erhat

Both are worth it.

The 2001 page is actually mislabeled. It should read Shoji Kawamori MACROSS Design Works

The 2001 is Macross lineart only. Has a lot more detail as to how the current designs came to be, but it only covers up to 2000.

The other Design Works book contains his most famous work up to the print date. This includes Macross (including M0), Cyber Formula, Armored Core, Aquarion, Eureka 7, etc. Macross isn't the primary focus. There is a section for it, but if you want a more complete look at Macross, get the Macross Design Works.

If you are a Macross fan, then 'Shouji Kawamori Macross Design Works' is a definite must buy - just keep in mind that both books are more about explorations of how the artist went through the designing process, from rough sketches, rejects, to finished designs. A good compliment to the "Shouji Kawamori Macross Design Works" is "Kazutaka Miyatake Design Works Macross & Orguss." Do take note that there is a lot of Kazutaka Miyatake's art in Kawamori's book. It generally goes unnoticed by non-Japanese readers.

If you are looking for more factual information on the abilities of VFs and other things, then you'll need to look for the "This is Animation: Macross ###" books.

I got mine (Shouji Kawamori Macross Design Works) via mail order here in Japan - the book is long out of print. You need to speak Japanese and be able to send money via a postal savings account. Not sure if this service is available in North Cyprus.

I picked up the other two books in a bookstore.

Edited by sketchley

wierd. their a reliable site.

Here is what I wrote:

Hi there when my order of Macross Design Works will be put in process ?

And I want to know when will Mobile Suit Gundam Illustrated 2006 (http://store.animebooks.com/mosuguil20.html) will be available ?

And their reply is

Hi Sevket,

Unfortunately, Macross Design Works is out of stock at the moment. We're doing our best to get this item back in stock. <_<

Mobile Suit Gundam Illustrated 2006 is out of print so we don't know when we can get that either. <_<

Sincerely,

George Ruan

www.animebooks.com :angry:

Iknow this isn't completely macross related but could someone tell me what line are is in the new design works book for crusher joe?

There are 4 pages of C.J. : big lineart of Cordoba, a space shuttle with launch tower, 2 views of the Minerva, views and details of Galleon tank, Laocoon helicopter, Pirate Battleship, a smaller "charging battleship", 2 views of Fighter-1, Harpy, Siren, Gadfly, Ostall, PowerSuit, a laser Gun, the 8-wheeled hunter tank, a wheeled Bison Tank, a Hover-truck and 6 cars - that´s it, all are perspective views, no plan.views. Still not bad I think.

Please do not add anything apart from info on Kawamori book here. There is a new topic button you know

I believe that stuff is in the latest Kawamori book, I haven't looked at mine in awhile though other than the Macross stuff.

I have been looking for this book too. Finally paid off!

Ebay SCORE!

Macross Design Works

21 bucks plus other book and super deformed vf-1d toy! Woot.

That's very nice. People that does not ship internationally does not appear in my ebay searches so I never came across this <_<

That's very nice. People that does not ship internationally does not appear in my ebay searches so I never came across this <_<

lol sorry to rub it in, just had to show off at bit at my good fortune. I saw this thread today, looked on ebay and this auction had 2 minutes to go, bid one dollar over and got it.

I have tried all the shops that I could find online, all out of stock :( Ebay is the way to go.

This book pops up quite a bit around $30 US most of the time.

I will keep my eyes open for another one and let you know. :)

There are 4 pages of C.J. : big lineart of Cordoba, a space shuttle with launch tower, 2 views of the Minerva, views and details of Galleon tank, Laocoon helicopter, Pirate Battleship, a smaller "charging battleship", 2 views of Fighter-1, Harpy, Siren, Gadfly, Ostall, PowerSuit, a laser Gun, the 8-wheeled hunter tank, a wheeled Bison Tank, a Hover-truck and 6 cars - that´s it, all are perspective views, no plan.views. Still not bad I think.

Sounds very cool! Thanks! :) I hope I can get this book soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it all comes down to preference.

If one wants only the lineart, and especially some documentation on how the artist went through the design process (from various rough drafts to the final), then the design works are the ones to look into.

For only finished artwork, Tenji Hidetaka's book is the better buy. Especially as it contains a Macross Zero CG art min-book/gallery near the end of the book. Sadly, there isn't very much on how Hidetaka goes through the process of actually creating his works of art.